Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round One Weekly Discussion Thread.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Great to see Port beat Melbourne. Just shows what an expert David King is with his statement that Melbourne will be undefeated this season, what an expert!!!
    Don't watch any of the footy shows any more and often mute the commentators these days. Most of it shallow nonsense that justifies their existence.

I have had complete footy overload this weekend, managing to watch big chunks of all games. The thing that has struck me is that teams which have put their faith in their young players, have excelled. In particular, the Port youngsters just took the game on with so much confidence. It is clear the coach has entrusted them with important roles in the team and they certainly thrived in R1. Contrast that to the way we manage our youngsters. Long stints in NEAFL. Dropped after one bad game yet particular favourites play like crap and get picked continuously (Hanners, Jack). Playing roles in defence and attack but never given central roles on the ball consistently. Traded out so we can keep ageing stars who have either fallen off the cliff or half way down. Dour game plans focused on hanging in games but never really taking it on. Sure, it's got us to the finals every year but let's be honest, we haven't looked like winning it in the last 2 years and based on last night, will be lucky to be mid table let alone winning a flag. Personally, I would prefer a call to be made early in the season that we are unlikely to win and then get some games into youngsters (Stoddart, Ling, Rowbottom, McInerney) and meaningful time on ball for Isaac and Mills. JPK and Parker to play up forward more and let's take the game on more. If it looks like the youngsters don't cut the mustard, then hit the next trade period hard and go for Coniglio or someone of his calibre. Jeez if the Lions can convince someone like Neale to go there, we should be able to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Baz, they run a little deeper than that. Sidebottom , adams , treloar de goey, GRUNDY, potential - Moore , Stephenson , COX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All good players, but only one with a sniff of being a star is grundy.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    All good players, but only one with a sniff of being a star is grundy.
    Treloar doesn't have a sniff of being a star?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Treloar doesn't have a sniff of being a star?
    Depends whether you think he already is. He's 26 (just a few months younger than Parker). At that age, most players have come close to their ceiling. Some incremental improvement can be expected with greater experience but few players jump from their level at that age to a significantly higher level of performance. So what we see now is most likely the "real" Treloar.

Based on his current output, he has some star like attributes. His pace away from stoppages is good and he knows how to find the ball. His limitations include inconsistent use of the ball by foot (sometimes wonderful but very often shoddy) and some frequently odd decision making.

I think he's a good player. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if he were playing for us. But I suspect he won't ever reach the true "star" level in the competition.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I have had complete footy overload this weekend, managing to watch big chunks of all games. The thing that has struck me is that teams which have put their faith in their young players, have excelled. In particular, the Port youngsters just took the game on with so much confidence. It is clear the coach has entrusted them with important roles in the team and they certainly thrived in R1. Contrast that to the way we manage our youngsters. Long stints in NEAFL. Dropped after one bad game yet particular favourites play like crap and get picked continuously (Hanners, Jack). Playing roles in defence and attack but never given central roles on the ball consistently. Traded out so we can keep ageing stars who have either fallen off the cliff or half way down. Dour game plans focused on hanging in games but never really taking it on. Sure, it's got us to the finals every year but let's be honest, we haven't looked like winning it in the last 2 years and based on last night, will be lucky to be mid table let alone winning a flag. Personally, I would prefer a call to be made early in the season that we are unlikely to win and then get some games into youngsters (Stoddart, Ling, Rowbottom, McInerney) and meaningful time on ball for Isaac and Mills. JPK and Parker to play up forward more and let's take the game on more. If it looks like the youngsters don't cut the mustard, then hit the next trade period hard and go for Coniglio or someone of his calibre. Jeez if the Lions can convince someone like Neale to go there, we should be able to do the same.
    This is an interesting post RD. Maybe it has got to a tipping point where we really do need to play Jack and Grundy, for example, in the NEAFL a la Ryan Okeefe in his final year. Would hate to lose a player like Dawson, Stoddard etc who didn't get a long run at it and then left to become a gun. Delicate balancing act when our culture has always been to make top four. Maybe we are deluded about that this year. Also, club is probably fearful of drop in support with membership etc in Sydney where there can be a big drop off if success is not there. And we have been spoiled for over twenty years. Dilemma I'm sure(hope) the club is aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    This is an interesting post RD. Maybe it has got to a tipping point where we really do need to play Jack and Grundy, for example, in the NEAFL a la Ryan Okeefe in his final year. Would hate to lose a player like Dawson, Stoddard etc who didn't get a long run at it and then left to become a gun. Delicate balancing act when our culture has always been to make top four. Maybe we are deluded about that this year. Also, club is probably fearful of drop in support with membership etc in Sydney where there can be a big drop off if success is not there. And we have been spoiled for over twenty years. Dilemma I'm sure(hope) the club is aware of.
    Sydney is such a fickle market. We can't afford a prolonged period of being also rans. A call on renewal will need to be made sooner rather than later if we look uncompetitive in 2019.

Veterans List
    Staying top four and having lots of members but never winning a flag won't cut it and isn't good enough.....we've been 'spoiled' for twenty years for two flags.....which means we're frustrated more than we're deliriously happy. I want to be deliriously happy.....

Regular in the Side
    Just watched some of the Giants thrashing the Bombers by 12 goals. Feel slightly better about losing the JLT match now. The Giants look the real deal and with Kelly, Ward and Haynes among others (Mummy anyone) to come in, look out.

I’d like the Giants to win a flag, just to scuff up every AFL Ants nest in Victoria.

I wonder what proportion of Ben Brown goals come from free kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I wonder what proportion of Ben Brown goals come from free kicks.
    Enough to have me fantasizing, that one day an umpire will call play on, after deciding that Brown's ridiculous run up is taking far too long. Which should lead to an oblivious Brown, being smashed by an aggrieved opponent coming in from the side.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast