Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: #AFL Round One Weekly Discussion Thread.

Senior Player
    I've read a couple of round 1 summaries in the news now, which both failed to mention the Dogs/Swans game at all.

AFL's crazy start to 2019 has thrown predictions out the window and set up an unreadable season - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Always the promise of sunnier days ahead following gloomy AFL starts for some | Craig Little | Sport | The Guardian

I guess it was not enough of an upset to make the list. Maybe a good thing in a way, just a regulation loss

Due to my local side season not starting yet I saw a few games n was utterly gobsmacked that commentators openly talked about favourable draws etc. Is this the only competition that does not have an even draw? I can’t think of any

And then it hit me. I actually think the Administration like this as it allows sides outside the 8 to have a bump up the ladder every so often to make finals but then drop down, when their draw changes the next year, to allow another side to move up the ladder.

I always thought we should have gone after Libba in the offseason. He’d be pretty handy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Due to my local side season not starting yet I saw a few games n was utterly gobsmacked that commentators openly talked about favourable draws etc. Is this the only competition that does not have an even draw? I can’t think of any

And then it hit me. I actually think the Administration like this as it allows sides outside the 8 to have a bump up the ladder every so often to make finals but then drop down, when their draw changes the next year, to allow another side to move up the ladder.
    All major American sports have uneven draws. Super Rugby has one. We need to get away from this mindset that the only fair way is to play every team twice. Even that doesn't take into account weather, injuries, runs of form etc. The best teams make the finals, the others don't,
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    All major American sports have uneven draws. Super Rugby has one. We need to get away from this mindset that the only fair way is to play every team twice. Even that doesn't take into account weather, injuries, runs of form etc. The best teams make the finals, the others don't,
    When I said competition I meant Australian rules.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I've read a couple of round 1 summaries in the news now, which both failed to mention the Dogs/Swans game at all.

AFL's crazy start to 2019 has thrown predictions out the window and set up an unreadable season - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Always the promise of sunnier days ahead following gloomy AFL starts for some | Craig Little | Sport | The Guardian

I guess it was not enough of an upset to make the list. Maybe a good thing in a way, just a regulation loss
    Watching the various Monday footy shows tonight, Essendon were the ones mainly in the cross hairs. Not just by the margin of their loss but by their lack of effort. Adelaide, West Coast, North & Melbourne also got some scrutiny, but being only R1 are given some Lattitude. Only mention of Swans was Buddy looking under done.

The Hun reported yesterday that last year we had the lowest amount of inside 50's of any finalist since 2001. I guess that tells us the forward line is very efficient and our midfield sucks.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Watching the various Monday footy shows tonight, Essendon were the ones mainly in the cross hairs. Not just by the margin of their loss but by their lack of effort. Adelaide, West Coast, North & Melbourne also got some scrutiny, but being only R1 are given some Lattitude. Only mention of Swans was Buddy looking under done.
    I think our last quarter comeback has most people thinking that we're still capable of good things.....if we get our act together.

Buddy is underdone but someone else has just become further underdone.....Menzel.

Dan's not the man: New Swan to miss another month - AFL.com.au

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567