Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Round 1: Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans @ Marvel Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    https://screenshotscdn.firefoxuserco...7be9bb6b0e.png

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxuserco...7b8b9e6e46.png

Check these screen shots from our game on Saturday night.....after Bont's matchwinner.

Gillon, is this the look of impartiality?

The fact that he was even in Hemsworth's box says it all.......then 'high fiving' with Dogs fans. He's a ............ . You can fill in the blank.
    Being a bit harsh in my view. Whats he going to do , sit there all stony faced and tell them he cant be seen to enjoy the moment as it wouldn't be impartial.

Im no fan and I think he is particularly beholden to the views of the melbourne establishment but in these moments you cant expect him to not have a laugh and enjoy himself. Im sure he wasnt sitting there saying " See boys I told you I would get you a win if you invited me up"

If I was the CEO of the league I would still barrack for the swans .

I would also reverse COLA , abolish the academies down south , introduce extra first round draft picks to the Swans for the next two years in reparation for them being punished for not breaking any laws and I would ban richmond for trading for two years on the basis they cant have it all. Thats impartial isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    This - we need more of a 'see ball get ball' mentality. Too often on Saturday (and last year) we seem to have been more focused on what the opposition are doing at stoppages, and we've let them be first to the ball. Maybe this worked in the past but it isn't a great tactic now - especially when you're not spot on with your structures and particularly when you're outpaced by your opponent. But I think we can fix this by being more proactive and being more focused on getting first hands on the ball.
    Absolutely this! Too much ball watching, which was an issue last year as well. Yes one needs to be focused on their opponent, but at times they also need to just 'get the ball' caveman style. There were a couple of pieces of play on Saturday night like that - I think it was Papley in one part of the play where the dogs had got away but the ball was loose after an errand kick. From where I sat, it looked like he actively run away from the ball to stay with his man, despite well and truly being well placed to go and challenge for the ball and potentially gain a clean possession. madness!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Playing the ball would be a nice turnaround.
    Handballing into traffic has to stop as well. It nearly always ends in tears... mine.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Heard Whately interview Longmire on SEN this morning. Longmire said he would've preferred if Buddy, Florent & Jones had played another JLT match before Saturday's game. Buddy was selected because he needed to start playing after completing a month of training (more than he achieved for the entire 2018 season).

Sounds like these 3 were a bit under done coming into this game. Buddy I can understand needing game time being a super star. Hopefully all 3 (and rest of the team for that matter), are better for the run and see improvement this week. Go Swans!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Heard Whately interview Longmire on SEN this morning. Longmire said he would've preferred if Buddy, Florent & Jones had played another JLT match before Saturday's game. Buddy was selected because he needed to start playing after completing a month of training (more than he achieved for the entire 2018 season).

Sounds like these 3 were a bit under done coming into this game. Buddy I can understand needing game time being a super star. Hopefully all 3 (and rest of the team for that matter), are better for the run and see improvement this week. Go Swans!
    I think their relative performances vindicated the selection of Jones but not Florent. Jones made a few errors but I also thought he was one trying to take a few risks and make things happen during the first half, when few others were.

Buddy is a completely different matter. If he was at the point he was ready for, and needed, match time, there was no question that you'd play him in the senior team, not the NEAFL. And although his output wasn't great, him just being out there must have made a difference to the Dogs' defensive strategies and to the confidence of the younger forwards.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    https://screenshotscdn.firefoxuserco...7be9bb6b0e.png

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxuserco...7b8b9e6e46.png

Check these screen shots from our game on Saturday night.....after Bont's matchwinner.

Gillon, is this the look of impartiality?

The fact that he was even in Hemsworth's box says it all.......then 'high fiving' with Dogs fans. He's a ............ . You can fill in the blank.

Shallow show pony

Buddy did nothing and could have had 3 goals in last term and won it
    Has to play

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Shallow show pony
    Heard he was giving high fives after the Bulldogs beat us in the 2016 GF. Mr "I am impartial"is not his real name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

On the Sunday footy show we were called the slowest team in the AFL. Still believe it's due to several players that are not 100% fit. At least I hope that theory is correct!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have personnel to be fast
    We looked pretty fast for a qtr or so on the weekend.
    Id say a more accurate call is that we are very slow to get going

Senior Player

2019 Round 1: Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans @ Marvel Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    We have personnel to be fast
    We looked pretty fast for a qtr or so on the weekend.
    Id say a more accurate call is that we are very slow to get going
    I actually think we get out of the blocks pretty well mostly. In fact last year we were one of the highest scoring teams in the first 10 minutes of the game if I recall correctly.

It is when the momentum swings to the opposition that we enter defensive mode (which in and of itself is fine, you can’t run a game at 100% relentless attack imo), and then can’t get the momentum to swing back / get out of defensive mode.

I’d also say that we look slow because we are stagnant not because we actually are slow (as the early parts of the game and the final quarter demonstrated we can play quick footy to your point).

People shouldnt confuse leg speed with speed of use of the football.

I dont think the doggies are particularly fast but they do try to get first use in the contest , they use it quick once they do have it and they swarm in numbers to keep it moving. Theres no reason that JK, Parker et al cannot do same . To me its a mental intent . I hope its not a fitness thing, our guys looked to be working pretty hard in preseason to me so it would be surprising if it was.