Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: 2019 Round 1: Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans @ Marvel Stadium

Agree, no time in the game now to second guess, Zak did and was tackled by not one but two doggies. HTB.
    It makes you look slow.

Warming the Bench
    I can't say much that hasn't already been said. My observations: far too many basic skill errors, fumbling, etc. There were a couple of really bad umpiring decisions that led to goals for the BullS*@ts - but that was not why we lost. We need to win some clearances otherwise we are in for a long season. Like others have said, our players should be chasing the ball rather than trying to stop the opposition from getting it - Jake Lloyd is a big culprit in this.
    At times last year when we played attacking footy we looked good and the same goes for the last quarter on Saturday night. However, we seem to do a lot of heavy, desperate defence in our D50 and there is not much in between these 2 extremes of play. The Swans find it difficult to stop the momentum of the opposition - we wait until they are tired before we start playing attacking footy. Then we are always playing catch-up. I'm no fan of Hawthorn but Clarko is a master at stopping the momentum of the opposition.

Also, I'm no fan of Gary Lyon on SEN but had some sensible words about the Swans - he said they just can't move the ball quick enough and with the 6-6-6 rule - if we base our game on rebounding out of our D50 we're never going to get enough inside 50's to kick good scores.

I don't think the Swans players are any slower than other team - we just need to change the game plan to a more attacking mindset. Take a look at the teams who won in R1 - it's all about attack.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Agree, no time in the game now to second guess, Zak did and was tackled by not one but two doggies. HTB.
    It makes you look slow.
    It's a fine line. In that passage, Jones received a panicked handball from a team mate while he was already in traffic. He did take a couple of steps and had an opportunity to dispose of the ball before being tackled, but where would that disposal have gone? If it had just been a handball into space, it was as likely to create a turnover as him getting tackled. So unless there was a clearly visible option to a team mate in a bit more space, I don't have an issue with him trying to create that space himself.

I think the player who handballed it to him was probably in a little more space than Jones was. Maybe that player should have taken an extra split second to find a better option.

Jones does get caught from time to time, and sometimes makes disposal errors, but usually when he's trying to take the game on and make something happen. I don't think it's reasonable to criticise a player doing this for the odd mistakes they make, while at the same time bemoaning the general tendency of the team not to take risks and try and move the ball on in an unpredictable fashion.

It was a bad mistake to re-sign Grundy if they're going to play him even when there's no match-up - in fact there really shouldn't be many times we need the 3 of Melican, Aliir and Grundy. Particularly when we also have Rampe who actually plays best on those ~190cm forwards who he can match one-on-one but then run off.

I just can't buy the 'we finally played the way we wanted in the last quarter, and it looked OK' excuse. We get that far behind that we eventually move half the side around, throw caution to the wind, and things open up - but there's no way in hell that's what we'll do from the start on Friday night.

The midfield is a massive concern - really a barrier to us being a decent team. When you think 2.5 years ago we would have been looking ahead and expecting to have Hannebery and Mitchell at their best now, that is the loss we have to deal with and replace. It's still curious we were chasing guys like Moore and Langdon for 2019 given where our deficiency is. As much as I can't stand him (or his Dad) we should have taken a risk on Liberatore and offered a 2 or 3-year deal, which could have been on modest money.

I don't think we have any other option but to use Heeney, and at times Mills, as permanent midfielders - they will get badly beaten regularly (at least in the short-term), but we have to fact-track some better options to support Parker and Kennedy. Maybe even Dawson - given him an extended run to see if he can be an inside midfielder, not just a half-forward who has minimal impact.

Otherwise come up with a different game plan based around virtually surrendering the midfield battle (at least against the better midfields / teams), and winning the contests at either end of the ground.

I hope I'm wrong but without some significant adjustments I can easily see it being another 0-6.

Did anyone else notice how much the bulldogs backs pushed off our med to small defenders

Mclean (not very fast) for example was sprinting away from macca and on one occasion (early third qtr) just gave and go with macca only one yard behind and still asked for the ball

It looked like a suicide give and go by McLean but macca just couldn’t close the gap on a slow player

A few mins later macca was marked up on an interesting match up “English” inside the arc on a lead !!!! Go figure ??

I was trying to think of a player in the competition that one yard away from McLean couldn’t catch him ? Especially when he had to prop to receive the ball and then still got away from macca to create a flood forward

The dogs had Plan to expose our slow defenders and it worked

I love macca in attack building the transition but boy or boy we got destroyed in match ups in times where nothing much was doing but the dogs could tear away and create desperation

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Jones does get caught from time to time, and sometimes makes disposal errors, but usually when he's trying to take the game on and make something happen. I don't think it's reasonable to criticise a player doing this for the odd mistakes they make, while at the same time bemoaning the general tendency of the team not to take risks and try and move the ball on in an unpredictable fashion.
    Great comment. We need more dare - the conservatism is killing us. If it comes unstuck every now and again then so be it.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617