Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Round 1: Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans @ Marvel Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The team overall looked sluggish, often giving up on contests around the ground. The Bulldogs got more players to contests and came out winners when the dust settled.
    This is the point. We went into this game with too many talls. One coming off groin surgery, two coming off a year out, one a debutant...??

That's very questionable selection.

Especially against a smaller quicker side, who you know will get numbers to most contests.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Agree with Nico , play Reid down back (at least when necessary) he’s an inreliable kick for goal anyway.

This team is not very advanced in gelling yet, they will eventually (we hope) .... the good teams move the ball among everyone with trust and blink-and-miss-it speed now.

Veterans List
    Something from the NEAFL write up to take to this weeks seniors selection table.....

"Recruit Jackson Thurlow and rising backman Colin O’Riordan provided smart decisions and a wealth of drive from defence."

This could be a worry though, for those who worry Horse's reaction to the loss is to bring in Jack.

"Kieren played 60 minutes and he was really good. It was a classic Kieren Jack performance,” Perris told Swans Media.

“His pressure around the ball and his hit, the trademark of his game, was there for the 60 minutes he played."

.....but then this could indicate he might be in the two'a bit longer. Perris was commenting on Rowbottom's efforts....

“He’d be learning a fair bit off Kieren,” Perris said "He’ll continue to learn off Kieren and James has been really proactive in that area: in asking questions, learning and developing.”

My changes at this stage for next week might be: Out: Melican, Grundy and Clarke. In: COR, Thurlow, Ronke.

....and for future reference:

"Second-year Swan Ryley Stoddart again showed he’s a player of outstanding versatility, with the 19-year-old influential in defence, dangerous on a wing and booting two goals when rotating through the forward line."

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/...c-inspires-win
    Last edited by stevoswan; 24th March 2019 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Something from the NEAFL write up to take to this weeks seniors selection table.....

"Recruit Jackson Thurlow and rising backman Colin O’Riordan provided smart decisions and a wealth of drive from defence."

This could be a worry though, for those who worry Horse's reaction to the loss is to bring in Jack.

"Kieren played 60 minutes and he was really good. It was a classic Kieren Jack performance,” Perris told Swans Media.

“His pressure around the ball and his hit, the trademark of his game, was there for the 60 minutes he played."

.....but then this could indicate he might be in the two'a bit longer. Perris was commenting on Rowbottom's efforts....

“He’d be learning a fair bit off Kieren,” Perris said "He’ll continue to learn off Kieren and James has been really proactive in that area: in asking questions, learning and developing.”

My changes at this stage for next week might be: Out: Melican, Grundy and Clarke. In: COR, Thurlow, Ronke.

....and for future reference:

"Second-year Swan Ryley Stoddart again showed he’s a player of outstanding versatility, with the 19-year-old influential in defence, dangerous on a wing and booting two goals when rotating through the forward line."

NEAFL: Jack classic inspires win - sydneyswans.com.au
    I have no qualms about jack getting a game if his form demands it. He hasn’t been great Recent years but if he is over some of his body issues he does offer a bit in terms of leadership , zip ( I understand he has lost a yard or two ) and hardness. Probably needs a few weeks of excellent NEAFL form to warrant a look but I wouldn’t be against it. His game against the Dees last year at the G was bloody good. Even maybe as a defensive small forward , has the discipline and tagging pedigree , and can kick a goal . Not saying this one game ( of which he played limited minutes ) demands it, just that I’m not prepared to say he is finished in the 1’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blakey onto left wing. Any thoughts from other posters?

Reg for thurlow
    Playing him in the ruck only proves he is a fifth wheel.
    He is in our 22 on reputation, still valuable but just insurance behind Melican, he is too slow.
    Alir Melican Thurlow Rampe Lloyd Mcveigh, well balanced.
    Melican is needed against Walker, hard to be a good defender when the mids were terrible

Havent seen heaps of COR but what i have seen he us a turnover king, id take Thurlow for sure

I agree leaving Papley deep if anyone you want to turn i to a mid it should be Hayward

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Blakey onto left wing. Any thoughts from other posters?
    Blakey is definitely an option on the wing, coming out of half forward or even starting in the midfield.

I'm fine with KJ coming back into the side once he's match fit, if he can play somewhere near his best level. If he plays like last year, it's just not worth him taking the spot of a developing player.

It could be worth trying Stoddart again. We can certainly use his pace. He should be a regular in side at some point over the next couple of years.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I have no qualms about jack getting a game if his form demands it. He hasn’t been great Recent years but if he is over some of his body issues he does offer a bit in terms of leadership , zip ( I understand he has lost a yard or two ) and hardness. Probably needs a few weeks of excellent NEAFL form to warrant a look but I wouldn’t be against it. His game against the Dees last year at the G was bloody good. Even maybe as a defensive small forward , has the discipline and tagging pedigree , and can kick a goal . Not saying this one game ( of which he played limited minutes ) demands it, just that I’m not prepared to say he is finished in the 1’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair comment MB. I was sort of thinking the same thing.....if he's back to what he used to offer the team, then straight back in.....unless those who are in the one's suddenly and magically start nailing it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Blakey is definitely an option on the wing, coming out of half forward or even starting in the midfield.

I'm fine with KJ coming back into the side once he's match fit, if he can play somewhere near his best level. If he plays like last year, it's just not worth him taking the spot of a developing player.

It could be worth trying Stoddart again. We can certainly use his pace. He should be a regular in side at some point over the next couple of years.
    It was good to hear Stoddart had a good game for the reserves. Agree he's an important part of the future. I'd like to see a run of form and fitness before he comes in.

I missed the game, and only watched the replay today. Fast forwarded to the last quarter only... We looked awesome!

Robbo questioning our game style (like everyone else) in his "dislikes" column for R1. He also pointed out last year we had the worst inside 50 differential for a finals side since 2001 (-21 on Saturday night).

Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Oh my.
    I hope they go for the ball this Friday instead of going for the man.
    22 minutes of footy is just not good enough.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.