Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Round 1: Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans @ Marvel Stadium

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    No, Dogs fans booed AA for large part of the match. Started after an early incident when he and a Dogs player were wrestling each other. AA was clearly holding by the end of the wrestling comp but didn’t get penalised. That set off the crowd.

The umps either didn’t see Aliir’s final hold or they reckoned both players were at fault. I did breathe a sigh of relief though when there was no whistle.
    Thanks Meg for the explanation. I listen to the radio when I'm at the game and where noise cancelling earphones so I only heard them boo him loudly one time when he had the ball near the bulldogs cheer squad.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsean View Post
    Was there a ‘throw’ not paid against the dogs late in the last quarter, maybe the second last goal?
    There were plenty of throws for them that weren't paid. What annoys me is that when they are tackled they throw the ball and they are paid holding the man. It happened a number of times tonight.

weak as miles better team thought they could turn it on when matters

Veterans List
    We were absolute garbage. The only positive that I could see was Buddy got through the game.

Where was Parker for 3 quarters?

I see nothing in Dawson that suggests he might be up to the top level. Soft and appears to not like the hard contest.

Hayward: hasn't changed. Disappears for long periods and gets to few contests. Missed set shots. His position in the team must now be questioned.

Melican: I think it is the worst game I have seen from a Swans player, ever. In the first half almost all of the goals for them were due to his mistakes or slowness or playing from behind. I am sure he stood the mark for most of their set shots in the first half. His JLT form was bad but this was simply off the chart poor.

Mills: disposal was horrible.

Plenty of players worked hard but boy we had some passengers. From the reserves report some players deserve to be considered for the 1's next week. Rowbottom looks a cert, Ronke and Jack will probably come back. Ronke has to play; we had no opportunist up front all game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Thanks Meg for the explanation. I listen to the radio when I'm at the game and where noise cancelling earphones so I only heard them boo him loudly one time when he had the ball near the bulldogs cheer squad.

There were plenty of throws for them that weren't paid. What annoys me is that when they are tackled they throw the ball and they are paid holding the man. It happened a number of times tonight.
    Yep that drives me to derision as well!An integral part of their game plan...
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side
    In the bigger picture it is some consolation that the lions beat the eagles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Patterns emerge, but do they mean anything? No.

The dogs gave us a bath for three quarters, they seem to revel in a physiological edge and they were impressively quick and accurate with everything .
    Good to see Buddy out there.
    Aliir is so masterful in tight situations.
    Blakey was nervous, but still showed his footy smarts.
    Reid got through.
    Nine goals won’t win you many games, some very ordinary shots.
    It was exciting when the Swans mounted a comeback to within 4 points.

Regular in the Side
    Was McInerney our travelling emergency as all the others appear to have played against Canberra in the NEAFL practice match?

Melican and Clarke were shocking. Happy to give Melican time but Clarke is no good.

Florent and Haywood were nowhere to be seen. This is a worry given they are part of generation next.

Papley still cannot kick. I love that he has a go and has speed but is so far from the elite kicking needed in the AFL that it's not funny.

So weird that it's happened this quick but the game is looking like it has moved past Parker and Kennedy. Two absolute elite midfielders who are shadows of their former selves.

Aliir is a gun and we need two of him. McVeigh is just all class. Reid didn't get injured and apart from a couple of blunders looked promising.

Why didn’t they swing Reid onto the doggies new log Naughton who would look better in red n white.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Not a great game. But there are positives for me, at least.

When we turn it on, we can match opposition (really, we played about 20 minutes of high intensity footy).

Forward line are likely getting to understand each other Sink barely played there last year. Blakey new. Sam hasn’t played in a decade has he? Bud also not at his best (at his physical best he is menacing & dominating, if injured he’d be better playing higher up where he’s not the go-to forward and can use his penetrating kick to either kick long goals or create deep opportunities for the big marking talks - you never know Reid might mark one on the goal line ... he can’t miss from there, right?)

The mids are now transitioning Heeney, Mills & Jones are going to take a little time to find their feet as the engine room.

For me, it isn’t all doom and gloom. When we can become a little 2 or 3 dimensional pressing forward, the forwards will gel.

Bring on the Crows!
    Thanks for the positive and optimistic post, goswannies! Lots to be disappointed about last night but it's a long season and we know we can improve.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Melican and Clarke were shocking. Happy to give Melican time but Clarke is no good.

Florent and Haywood were nowhere to be seen. This is a worry given they are part of generation next.

Papley still cannot kick. I love that he has a go and has speed but is so far from the elite kicking needed in the AFL that it's not funny.

So weird that it's happened this quick but the game is looking like it has moved past Parker and Kennedy. Two absolute elite midfielders who are shadows of their former selves.

Aliir is a gun and we need two of him. McVeigh is just all class. Reid didn't get injured and apart from a couple of blunders looked promising.
    I am starting to agree about Kennedy but I think Parker is OK. He played well in the last half.

Veterans List
    We seemed to lack energy, as if they had the week off the track. We played like we were coming off a bye. The Dogs were way sharper than us and just went for the footy.

I hope we don't play in that horrible white uniform again. Their shorts looked oversized and baggy. We looked sloppy. As Ron Barassi said; if you can't play at least look like a footballer.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast