Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round II team

Happy with these changes.

Dawson has plenty to offer but his attack on the footy last week was poor.

IMO he needs to be far more assertive/confident. The fact that he handballed all game instead of using his brilliant kicking ability shows were he is at mentally..

.He has the tools ...He needs to believe in himself at the top level...Hopefully that will come.

With an extra small/quick at either end of the ground....This is a much more balanced line up than last week.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Happy with these changes.

IMO he needs to be far more assertive/confident. The fact that he handballed all game instead of using his brilliant kicking ability shows were he is at mentally..

.He has the tools ...He needs to believe in himself at the top level...Hopefully that will come.

With an extra small/quick at either end of the ground....This is a much more balanced line up than last week.
    You are spot on about him needing to believe in himself but how can you expect him to do that when he is on a knives edge every week and one average or poor performance from being out of the team. There were others who were as bad if not worse than him last week that are still in the side so he must be thinking that the coaching staff have no faith in him as an AFL player.

He'll no doubt dominate in the NEAFL for the next 5 weeks in the hope he might get another go...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    You are spot on about him needing to believe in himself but how can you expect him to do that when he is on a knives edge every week and one average or poor performance from being out of the team. There were others who were as bad if not worse than him last week that are still in the side so he must be thinking that the coaching staff have no faith in him as an AFL player.

He'll no doubt dominate in the NEAFL for the next 5 weeks in the hope he might get another go...

I think because Dawson is still seen as potential that is yet to blossom at the top level, so 'fringe' in that sense, he's one of the first in line to go, especially after a loss. He plays the same last week but we win against the Dogs and he's probably playing this week. I do agree though, it would be nice to see him given an extended run in the one's.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post

I fear you're both right. I'd very much like to see him do well, and it's obvious he's a skilled player, so one can only wonder if it's the mental side that is the crucial factor. And with that, yes, how is he to become confident unless given a series of games - yet how many games should he be given if he shows no confidence? We can only hope that the coaches are sensitive to these issues, that they are more aware of what's best than we are at our distance, and that they've picked without prejudice the team they consider best.

COR should’ve been in the side from round 1. His preseason games were faultless, he was amongst our best in every practice or JLT match. He’ll provide some much needed drive for us down back . Ronke needs to be up front, especially with Reid back in as another talk target . I like this team much more than last weeks. And yes, Dawson very stiff , but he’ll be back, Blakey will need a rest at some point I would imagine after playing zero footy last year . I think he and Dawson may ‘share’ a spot this year . Looking forward to hopefully a big response from our senior players and our midfield group tonight !! (Am also half expecting a repeat performance of last week .... )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    COR should’ve been in the side from round 1. His preseason games were faultless, he was amongst our best in every practice or JLT match. He’ll provide some much needed drive for us down back . Ronke needs to be up front, especially with Reid back in as another talk target . I like this team much more than last weeks. And yes, Dawson very stiff , but he’ll be back, Blakey will need a rest at some point I would imagine after playing zero footy last year . I think he and Dawson may ‘share’ a spot this year . Looking forward to hopefully a big response from our senior players and our midfield group tonight !! (Am also half expecting a repeat performance of last week .... )

COR’s inclusion probably also solves the dilemma of why plays on Eddie.

Senior Player
    COR’s inclusion probably also solves the dilemma of why plays on Eddie.

Fair assignment in his fourth game! I think Lloyd will play on him a fair bit, and they will try to get a second defender back to help.

Happy with the changes. As Longmire said, they bring pressure and competitiveness. I was encouraged by Longmire's suggestion that Ronke would play forward, which is where I think he's most dangerous.

Dawson is an excellent mark and kick, so of course we want him playing. But he was sluggish and lacked intensity. We don't really need him forward at the moment, so he has to win the ball, as he does in the NEAFL. Hopefully he responds.

On the Rookie List
    Pleased Ronke is in - there were times in the last quarter last week that his skillset (how is that for AFL coach speak) would have been very, very helpful. Also pleased COR is in, but Dawson's omission is annoying. We all know he is too good for NEAFL and needs a run of games in the seniors to get him up to speed. No doubt he has been told to go and work on his craft (more AFL coach speak) in the twos. Hopefully he has 50 possessions and kicks 6 goals and demands a return next week.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Fair assignment in his fourth game! I think Lloyd will play on him a fair bit, and they will try to get a second defender back to help.

Happy with the changes. As Longmire said, they bring pressure and competitiveness. I was encouraged by Longmire's suggestion that Ronke would play forward, which is where I think he's most dangerous.

Dawson is an excellent mark and kick, so of course we want him playing. But he was sluggish and lacked intensity. We don't really need him forward at the moment, so he has to win the ball, as he does in the NEAFL. Hopefully he responds.
    True but Lloyd ain’t a lockdown defender and I think Eddie would murder him . I can’t see another matchup that suits

Not saying that COR is a lockdown defender either but he seems to be more capable defensively than Lloyd in the limited times I’ve seen him .

I draw one of 2 conclusions:
    1) Coaches tell Dawson to back himself, play to his strengths and are pulling their hair out everytime he suits up for 1st's.
    2) He's not getting feedback from coaches, confused about how he should play and is lacking guidance. Overall not game to take the game on for fear of making mistakes and getting dropped.
    Not entirely sure what the truth is........

True but Lloyd ain’t a lockdown defender and I think Eddie would murder him . I can’t see another matchup that suits

We need Lloyd to be creative and drive off half back. No way he should play on Eddie.

Our only real options are Rampe, Jones, McVeigh or COR. I would probably play Rampe on him and COR on Lynch.

Melican and Aliir to take Tex and Jenkins.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast