Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: #AFL Round 2 Weekly Discussion Thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Liam Picken has retired from football due to concussion issues....sad for him, even if he was a Dog.
    Agreed. Sounds bloody awful. Hope he gets totally over it medically, receives appropriate support, and finds another occupation that sustains him.

Veterans List
    Just saw this on the AFL website and it pisses me off just a tad

Did the umps cost Hawks and Freo? - AFL.com.au

Did the umps cost Hawks and Freo? ......Excuse me?!

The footy world just rolls on seemingly oblivious to the umpiring nightmare the Swans endure on a regular basis and right under their live TV noses last Friday night!

Business as usual then I suppose......

Just saw this on the AFL website and it pisses me off just a tad

Did the umps cost Hawks and Freo? - AFL.com.au

Did the umps cost Hawks and Freo? ......Excuse me?!

The footy world just rolls on seemingly oblivious to the umpiring nightmare the Swans endure on a regular basis and right under their live TV noses last Friday night!

Business as usual then I suppose......
    Maybe it is because we never do things
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...01-p519s8.html

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Maybe it is because we never do things
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...01-p519s8.html
    The Swans do seek clarification and are doing so in this case. It just doesn't make the front page.

Sydney Swans to seek clarification from umpires after loss

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    The Swans do seek clarification and are doing so in this case. It just doesn't make the front page.

Sydney Swans to seek clarification from umpires after loss
    I am relieved Longmire is doing something about it. It is frustrating for fans to watch these kinds of games, and I find I'm not as excited about football in general because of it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    I am relieved Longmire is doing something about it. It is frustrating for fans to watch these kinds of games, and I find I'm not as excited about football in general because of it.
    It definitely makes the game harder to love.......

Liam Picken has retired from football due to concussion issues....sad for him, even if he was a Dog.
    Sad to see the forced retirement of the the son of a former Swan

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Sad to see the forced retirement of the the son of a former Swan
    I agree, was my favourite dog. (even though I hate the dogs).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I see Cox got a week for having Grimes run into him. Should definitely challenge that one!
    They did and I see his suspension was overturned just now. Right decision IMO.

The Sicily incident was interesting with many in the media protesting against the free kick, when in fact ONLY the central umpire had clear view of it determining Sicily had made unnecessary contact with a clenched fist. The TV replay only showed rear view of the incident as Sicily's contact was partially obscured. Chris Judd on Footy Classified critized Sicily for his action as letting his team down.

Thinking this rule was intended to eliminate unnecessary punches, I'm now confused because Jonathon Brown said OTC that this new rule also includes open hand contact! This flies in the face on Friday night when Cameron Ling analysed a slo mo replay of Zac Jones with late open hand contact on a Adelaide player as he kicked the ball, saying it was OK because it was an open hand!

I also saw free kick paid against Scott Lycett for a timid shoulder bump on his Carlton opponent as unnecessary contact!
    Last edited by KSAS; 3rd April 2019 at 11:00 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    The Sicily incident was interesting with many in the media protesting against the free kick, when in fact ONLY the central umpire had clear view of it determining Sicily had made unnecessary contact with a clenched fist. The TV replay only showed rear view of the incident as Sicily's contact was partially obscured. Chris Judd on Footy Classified critized Sicily for his action as letting his team down.

Thinking this rule was intended to eliminate unnecessary punches, I'm now confused because Jonathon Brown said OTC that this new rule also includes open hand contact! This flies in the face on Friday night when Cameron Ling analysed a slo mo replay of Zac Jones with late open hand contact on a Adelaide player as he kicked the ball, saying it was OK because it was an open hand!

I also saw free kick paid against Scott Lycett for a timid shoulder bump on his Carlton opponent as unnecessary contact!
    Similar to 100 metre penalty rule, unnecessary and embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

i dont think anyone knows what the rule is including Ling and Brown, and the players. Most people expected the AFL to come down hard on off-the-ball punches. So far, we cant tell if they have or not.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345