Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Swans academy and U18 discussion

Will Papley kicked 3 for Gippsland Power on the weekend.

Veteran Site Admin
    Academy: Swans to face arch rival - sydneyswans.com.au

As noted in the NEAFL thread, our academy U18 team plays tomorrow morning, kicking off at 11am, and will be streamed via the NAB League app (and for nufities like me, via YouTube too).

In contrast to my observation in the NEAFL thread (and an earlier piece written by the Swans), the U16 game is now listed as starting at 2pm, not 12pm, meaning we won't get to see multi-ball in action.

The article to which I have provided a link reports that Gulden will be missing from tomorrow's side with "soreness" (aka leather poisoning from last week?) But the forward line might be more structured with the addition of a genuine tall forward in Ellem. I remember him making his NEAFL debut a couple of years back. He is (or at least was) a huge lump of a boy but has surprising footspeed to go with his size.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Academy: Swans to face arch rival - sydneyswans.com.au

As noted in the NEAFL thread, our academy U18 team plays tomorrow morning, kicking off at 11am, and will be streamed via the NAB League app (and for nufities like me, via YouTube too).

In contrast to my observation in the NEAFL thread (and an earlier piece written by the Swans), the U16 game is now listed as starting at 2pm, not 12pm, meaning we won't get to see multi-ball in action.

The article to which I have provided a link reports that Gulden will be missing from tomorrow's side with "soreness" (aka leather poisoning from last week?) But the forward line might be more structured with the addition of a genuine tall forward in Ellem. I remember him making his NEAFL debut a couple of years back. He is (or at least was) a huge lump of a boy but has surprising footspeed to go with his size.
    Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing how Hamish Ellem goes. I thought he did some good things last year in the NEAFL, as a sixteen year old. He's now listed as 194cm, which might be a cm or two taller than last season? It would be nice if he developed into another academy key position draftee.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing how Hamish Ellem goes. I thought he did some good things last year in the NEAFL, as a sixteen year old. He's now listed as 194cm, which might be a cm or two taller than last season? It would be nice if he developed into another academy key position draftee.
    Turns 18 in August so eligible for this years draft. Nice to hear another Papley is in the pipeline, unfortunately not tied to us.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Don't have wifi. I'm an old-fashioned cable kinda gal.

I will make a bold prediction. Errol Gulden will line up for the Swans senior side in round 1 2021, injury permitting. He'll need to find a different guernsey number to wear though.
    Very bold for you Liz but he does appear to be a ball magnet with two more years at U18 level. It's exciting that we look to have more academy members in the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Turns 18 in August so eligible for this years draft. Nice to hear another Papley is in the pipeline, unfortunately not tied to us.
    Yes, but surely two grandparents and a brother playing for us, is worth some sort of points discount? We should run it by Gil and Eddie: I'm sure they won't mind.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Yes, but surely two grandparents and a brother playing for us, is worth some sort of points discount? We should run it by Gil and Eddie: I'm sure they won't mind.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    .....over a friendly coffee perhaps?

With a laptop to show them the Papley/Bray family tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    With a laptop to show them the Papley/Bray family tree.
    Yes, genetically, I think that two grandfathers equals one father.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    .....over a friendly coffee perhaps?
    Yes, and with Cynthia Banham subtly positioned at a nearby table.

Loving this new NAB League and the live streams. Our Academy side has looked really impressive! Ellem and young Campbell a couple of goals in the 3rd quater and we've blown GWS away even though they are supposed to have more highly rated top end talent in their draft year this year.

I think we might get a few surprises who shine and become highly rated and possibly some boys drafted out of this team by the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Loving this new NAB League and the live streams. Our Academy side has looked really impressive! Ellem and young Campbell a couple of goals in the 3rd quater and we've blown GWS away even though they are supposed to have more highly rated top end talent in their draft year this year.

I think we might get a few surprises who shine and become highly rated and possibly some boys drafted out of this team by the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    I was impressed with Campbell, he certainly seems to have a skill set. I was also impressed with the smothers that were completed and the second and third efforts. Possibly they're talking after their coach.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast