Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Swans academy and U18 discussion

Veteran Site Admin
    I thought it was a very impressive performance by the team, not just to win, but to do it so convincingly. At quarter time I feared they were going to be blown away, because the Giants were far superior in the air and also much better at kicking to a team mate (rather than just throwing it on the boot). I don't think I can remember the Swans taking a contested mark in the first half. But as the game wore on, they were able to make it more and more a scrap for the ball at ground level and there weren't enough Giants players on for that.

Campbell clearly has a bit of class and some decent acceleration, though he's not super quick. Ellem looks bigger, if anything, and not especially agile. He was an important target but I think he'll need to change his body shape considerably if he has hopes of graduating to the next level.

Another who had a good game (and played well last week too) is Heeney-clone, Marc Sheather. He's got the same shock of blonde hair and is almost the exact same height and body shape (at least the 17yo Heeney body shape). He kicked three nice goals and took one aerial mark that suggests he might bear more than just a physical resemblance to Isaac. He's another under-aged player (like Campbell and Gulden) so there's plenty of development left in him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I thought it was a very impressive performance by the team, not just to win, but to do it so convincingly. At quarter time I feared they were going to be blown away, because the Giants were far superior in the air and also much better at kicking to a team mate (rather than just throwing it on the boot). I don't think I can remember the Swans taking a contested mark in the first half. But as the game wore on, they were able to make it more and more a scrap for the ball at ground level and there weren't enough Giants players on for that.

Campbell clearly has a bit of class and some decent acceleration, though he's not super quick. Ellem looks bigger, if anything, and not especially agile. He was an important target but I think he'll need to change his body shape considerably if he has hopes of graduating to the next level.

Another who had a good game (and played well last week too) is Heeney-clone, Marc Sheather. He's got the same shock of blonde hair and is almost the exact same height and body shape (at least the 17yo Heeney body shape). He kicked three nice goals and took one aerial mark that suggests he might bear more than just a physical resemblance to Isaac. He's another under-aged player (like Campbell and Gulden) so there's plenty of development left in him yet.
    Yeah liked the look of him last week too! Didn't realise he was a bottom ager as well so plenty of upside for him also!

We have some good talent coming through the Academy which is a credit to all the coaches and talent scouts!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    I caught the last quarter at the ground.

Very impressive, although they had the Giants well beaten by that time.

I was going to make the same comment about Sheather - the resemblance to Heeney is uncanny.

I was also impressed by Parker, who is a bit of a bull, kicked well for goal from open play, and celebrates them like his namesake. I was impressed with a couple of touches by Youlten too, including a spearing entry and a contested mark reminiscent of a previous bearer of the number 21 guernsey.

The 16s academy team also had a good win against the giants in the game after the 18's. Good day all round for the swans.

Under 18s up against Sandringham this weekend. Will be interesting to see how they match up as they have won easily against Tassie and GWS in two games to date.

Errol Gulden back in the team after his leather poisoning bout from week one along with two other under agers in Campbell and Sheather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Under 18s up against Sandringham this weekend. Will be interesting to see how they match up as they have won easily against Tassie and GWS in two games to date.

Errol Gulden back in the team after his leather poisoning bout from week one along with two other under agers in Campbell and Sheather.
    Yes, since Sandringham are top, it will be interesting. We could get a reality check. While a win would mean a bit of excitement about the talent coming through. And a possible whinge from McGuire about our academy.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, since Sandringham are top, it will be interesting. We could get a reality check. While a win would mean a bit of excitement about the talent coming through. And a possible whinge from McGuire about our academy.
    Apparently Sandringham (and many of the other Victorian NAB League sides) will have many of their better players missing due to trial games and/or APS footy.

I just tuned in a few minutes early to the YouTube broadcast and they had the team line-ups on the screen. One of the Swans' opponents today is Jai Florent, younger brother of Ollie. I just looked him up to check he is, indeed, Ollie's younger brother (he is) and saw that this is his first game for the season with the Dragons, so he's clearly one in to replace the missing topliners.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Not sure if it’s been stated but stats (not live) are available on the Footy Live app

Veteran Site Admin
    Impressive first quarter by our lads. 5.1 to Sandringham's 2.3. First two goals to Harry Maguire, last two to Braedon Campbell, with one to Thorne sandwiched in between.

They more than matched Sandringham at ground level in that first quarter, and though I reckon Sandringham may have had more inside-50s, the Swans were far more effective once they got the ball forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Not sure if it’s been stated but stats (not live) are available on the Footy Live app
    There's also a NAB League app, that has live stats. Though the live coverage seems to often have glitches, that the YouTube coverage doesn't suffer from.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Apparently Sandringham (and many of the other Victorian NAB League sides) will have many of their better players missing due to trial games and/or APS footy.

I just tuned in a few minutes early to the YouTube broadcast and they had the team line-ups on the screen. One of the Swans' opponents today is Jai Florent, younger brother of Ollie. I just looked him up to check he is, indeed, Ollie's younger brother (he is) and saw that this is his first game for the season with the Dragons, so he's clearly one in to replace the missing topliners.
    That would probably explain the lopsided halftime score. Though I am impressed, by how our academy youngsters harass their opponents and deny them space.
    Individually, I've liked Sam Thorne's inside work, the skills of Braeden Campbell and the poise of Errol Gulden. Hamish Ellem has shown, that a big lump of a lad, can also have twinkle toes.

Veteran Site Admin
    Another very impressive quarter by the Swans - five more goals to Sandringham's three. First was to Errol, strolling into an open goal, then a third for Maguire, two on the trot for big Hamish Ellem, and one to Ky McGrath to round out the term.

Gulden struggled to get into the game in the first quarter, but he worked his way into the game in the second. When he decides to hoof the ball, he has a penetrating kick for such a small chap, but he can also execute short, precise kicks to a target. But even though he had a good second quarter, he hasn't been the dominant force for the Swans he was in the Tasmania game, mostly because he has a lot of team mates playing very good football.

Thorne has been a terrier in the midfield, Campbell has shown a few flashes of real class, Ellem's work when the ball hits the ground seems a little better than last week and he provides a big target up forward. Macguire has been very good with his three goals. I've liked some of the work of no 33 (Kyle Martin in defence - medium sized rather than a KPP). And Raynor, who was underwhelming in the first two games, playing in the forward line, has been switched to defence and looks a lot more comfortable. He's taken some good grabs and generally distributed the ball well.

But plenty of the others have shown a lot too. It's going to be hard for Crouch to select his "best players" for this match if they carry on the same way in the second half.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast