Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Swans academy and U18 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    It's started, Hawks supporter started a BF thread on the Draft/Free agency forum complaing about our 2020 academy players and what a rort it is. I expect this will grow in volume if Campbell and Gulden continue their U17 game form into next year.
    I suspect that he's ignoring the actual rorts of the NGAs.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I suspect that he's ignoring the actual rorts of the NGAs.
    It’s only a rort if it’s outside Victoria. If it’s in Victoria they call it “tradition”. Like the traditional go home factor ie third party deals.

For anyone interested U17 NAB all stars game

U17S GF CURTAIN RAISER TEAM BROWN V TEAM DAL SANTO 2019 - YouTube

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    For anyone interested U17 NAB all stars game

U17S GF CURTAIN RAISER TEAM BROWN V TEAM DAL SANTO 2019 - YouTube
    You are a marvel. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

It was great to watch

Campbell has a real spring in his step athletically and could be a find.

Gulden works hard

Both have good left foot kicks

Very hard to say where they are at just yet vs other players and the draft but gut feeling Campbell 10-20 and Gulden 30-40 if at all ?

There were good players out there in the game who will fill out even more

After Campbell and Gulden does anyone know if we have anymore really exciting talent coming through who'll be bottom age next year? I noticed we didn't have anyone named in the U16 national championships All Australian side with a Giants Academy player (Sam Stening) the only NSW representative.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    It was great to watch

Campbell has a real spring in his step athletically and could be a find.

Gulden works hard

Both have good left foot kicks

Very hard to say where they are at just yet vs other players and the draft but gut feeling Campbell 10-20 and Gulden 30-40 if at all ?

There were good players out there in the game who will fill out even more
    From what I’ve read and who I’ve spoken to you Gulden 5-15, Campbell 20-30. The biggest issue is their size.

A lot can change in a year. Raynor was projected to be a 20-30 pick this time last year and from what I’ve heard he may not even get rookie listed this year.

Veteran Site Admin
    From what I’ve read and who I’ve spoken to you Gulden 5-15, Campbell 20-30. The biggest issue is their size.

A lot can change in a year. Raynor was projected to be a 20-30 pick this time last year and from what I’ve heard he may not even get rookie listed this year.
    I've read reports that suggest the other way around - ie Campbell as a potential first round pick and Gulden as a later pick. Gulden's size will definitely count against him. You just have to look at someone like Caleb Daniel. I watched an U18 championship game during his draft year where he was BOG by such a margin it wasn't funny. But he slid to the 50s in the draft, and while he has become a very capable AFL player, he has had to change the way he plays a bit. He doesn't play as much "inside" as I reckon his footy instincts want him to play. Instead he's become a Jake Lloyd style player, distributing across half-back. Gulden doesn't have pace as a major weapon, and I wouldn't describe his skills as laser-like either. He's a ball hunter. I think he has the nous to carve out a role at AFL level but I'm not sure where that's going to be.

Campbell looks like he might have grown a little during the year. In the Futures game, he didn't look particularly small against the other midfielders out there - sure, he was one of the shorter ones, but didn't stand out as small. He's not lightning fast either, but quicker than Gulden. And his kicking looks like it could be a real weapon.

I agree a lot can change in a year, and Raynor is a case in point. But Raynor played a handful of NEAFL games in his U17 year and didn't impress me then with his intensity. Gulden only played a couple this year but intensity wasn't a problem. And nor was it for Campbell during his NEAFL outings this year. Raynor looks to have some reasonable attributes- his overhead marking being his best - but shows no urgency in the way he plays. (And his kicking isn't too good either, particularly his goal kicking - he never looks like he has a clue where he is aiming.)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I've read reports that suggest the other way around - ie Campbell as a potential first round pick and Gulden as a later pick. Gulden's size will definitely count against him. You just have to look at someone like Caleb Daniel. I watched an U18 championship game during his draft year where he was BOG by such a margin it wasn't funny. But he slid to the 50s in the draft, and while he has become a very capable AFL player, he has had to change the way he plays a bit. He doesn't play as much "inside" as I reckon his footy instincts want him to play. Instead he's become a Jake Lloyd style player, distributing across half-back. Gulden doesn't have pace as a major weapon, and I wouldn't describe his skills as laser-like either. He's a ball hunter. I think he has the nous to carve out a role at AFL level but I'm not sure where that's going to be.

Campbell looks like he might have grown a little during the year. In the Futures game, he didn't look particularly small against the other midfielders out there - sure, he was one of the shorter ones, but didn't stand out as small. He's not lightning fast either, but quicker than Gulden. And his kicking looks like it could be a real weapon.

I agree a lot can change in a year, and Raynor is a case in point. But Raynor played a handful of NEAFL games in his U17 year and didn't impress me then with his intensity. Gulden only played a couple this year but intensity wasn't a problem. And nor was it for Campbell during his NEAFL outings this year. Raynor looks to have some reasonable attributes- his overhead marking being his best - but shows no urgency in the way he plays. (And his kicking isn't too good either, particularly his goal kicking - he never looks like he has a clue where he is aiming.)
    I’m only repeating what I’ve heard from recruiters. As most know I don’t watch nowhere near as much AFL anymore.

I did go back and read a bit from earlier this year, this one game has Campbell a future high first & had the opposite effect with Gulden via basically AFL.com/Twomey.

Like one person said to me “look at the body of work not the one standout game, Ronke is the best example”

Cheers👍

Veteran Site Admin
    I’m only repeating what I’ve heard from recruiters. As most know I don’t watch nowhere near as much AFL anymore.

I did go back and read a bit from earlier this year, this one game has Campbell a future high first & had the opposite effect with Gulden via basically AFL.com/Twomey.

Like one person said to me “look at the body of work not the one standout game, Ronke is the best example”

Cheers👍
    There was a Wu article in the Fairfax papers published midway through the year that had Campbell as "first round, maybe top 10" and Gulden later. So these assessments weren't based on the Futures game.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...04-p5246g.html

That said, I do agree with your comment that a lot can change. At about this time in the year before he was drafted, Heeney was described as draftable, but likely to be taken in the middle of the draft. By the time the AIS Academy team went on a camp/tour in January of the following year, he was being spoken of as a potential number 1 pick.

And it can go the other way too. Jack Darling, Will Brodie and Darcy Fogarty are just three examples of players spoken about as possible (or likely) first picks in their U17 years, only to slide a little bit down the draft.

Yep there are so many layers

Roos has the basic model of the no dick head policy and the 3 areas he always referred to

Cardio
    Skill
    Attitude

Imagine how refined the score sheets for measuring prospective players are these days in 2019/2020

The capacity to be a 10yr professional athlete is a rare commodity

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    After Campbell and Gulden does anyone know if we have anymore really exciting talent coming through who'll be bottom age next year? I noticed we didn't have anyone named in the U16 national championships All Australian side with a Giants Academy player (Sam Stening) the only NSW representative.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    The U16 team went undefeated at the nationals this year. Hard to say who was best but AFL Draft central did a series of "who to watch" and game reviews and they listed a number of U16s Swans players in those.

Remember the Names: Top performers from the U16 National Championships - Aussie Rules Draft Central