Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Swans academy and U18 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    12.30pm Sunday against Vic Country who beat Vic Metro last week. If the game is televised, other than watching our guys, look out for the two HBF for Country, very impressive last week, Lachlan Ash & Hayden Young, both look high draft picks to my untrained eye.
    Agree, they were both fantastic last week and would both be great picks (especially Ash) if we get the opportunity!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

It would be interesting to see some stats on whether the proportion of players drafted from NSW are trending upwards given that the Academy has now been going for a number of years? Historically, it's been a very low percentage who come out of NSW (and QLD) with Victoria generally providing over 50% of all draftees. This is a big factor in the uneveness of the competition given the "go home" factor.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    It would be interesting to see some stats on whether the proportion of players drafted from NSW are trending upwards given that the Academy has now been going for a number of years? Historically, it's been a very low percentage who come out of NSW (and QLD) with Victoria generally providing over 50% of all draftees. This is a big factor in the uneveness of the competition given the "go home" factor.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Given the thrashing that Vic Country handed out to the Allies on the weekend - some would say this justifies the low numbers.

Update for this weekend :
    1. u18 Allies play WA on Sunday 10:30am at Alberton Oval - Swans players in Brewer, Campbell, Ellem, Gaden, Gulden, Parks, Thorne

2. u16 Rams play Qld on Sunday 12:50pm at Blacktown - 13 Swans players in squad.

Veterans List
    I wonder how the VFLs review of the academy & NGA systems is going. I'm a little nervous about it knowing how they manage to muck up just about everything they create/touch/meddle with. You can bet they've taken input from fat face!

Wonder if it will be fiddled with to stop us getting Gulden & Campbell next year.

On the veteran's list
    I wonder how the VFLs review of the academy & NGA systems is going. I'm a little nervous about it knowing how they manage to muck up just about everything they create/touch/meddle with. You can bet they've taken input from fat face!

Wonder if it will be fiddled with to stop us getting Gulden & Campbell next year.
    I think it is finished and the AFL is happy with northern academies but worried about some of the others where teams are just warehousing players who already play Aussie rules a la the bloke form Tassie who plays at north.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Just to update from weekend - U16 NSW Rams 10.10.70 beat QLD 9.5.59. - tough, hard fought game with an even contribution across the park from the NSW Team. QLD were a significantly bigger team with a number of 190 cm 100kg big men in key positions, so while QLD seemed to have the better of the contested marking, NSW were harder in the contest and around the ground. The game was only iced when a long olds style torp in the dying seconds fell into the arms of a NSW forward and he converted on the siren to seal the win by 10 points. NSW probably should have put the game away earlier but some inaccurate kicking for goal kept QLD in the game and allowed them to surge in the last few minutes but NSW held on well for the win .

In the game prior to this Tasmania fairly easily accounted for NT.

NSW will now play NT and Tasmania in the week of July 8-14 when all state teams travel to QLD to play the second and third legs of the national championships.

Huge win today for the Under 18 Allies beating Vic Metro 11.4.70 to 10.8.68 at Geelong . Swans players in the team Gulden , Thorne , Parks , Ellem , Brewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Huge win today for the Under 18 Allies beating Vic Metro 11.4.70 to 10.8.68 at Geelong . Swans players in the team Gulden , Thorne , Parks , Ellem , Brewer.
    Yes, it was great how they kicked back late, after it looked like Vic Metro were going to run over the top of them. Also a very good game by Gulden, playing as a half forward flanker. Increasingly, it seems like we will have to part with a high pick in the 2020 draft, to bring him to the club. While the other four who played yesterday, are some sort of chance to be selected in this year's draft. Though more likely as late picks or rookie listers. Parks was probably the best defender for the Allies, while Ellem continues to show glimpses of an advanced skill set.

U18 allies game v SA is live on foxtel this afternoon at 4:30pm

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    U18 allies game v SA is live on foxtel this afternoon at 4:30pm
    Thanks for the heads up, have just hit the record button.

Gulden and Parks were in the best players in the win over Vic Metro.

GWS Academy Green is shaping as a top 10, maybe top 5, could well be there when our first pick comes along - could we??

Thanks for the heads up, have just hit the record button.

Gulden and Parks were in the best players in the win over Vic Metro.

GWS Academy Green is shaping as a top 10, maybe top 5, could well be there when our first pick comes along - could we??
    I've only seen him in the Allies v Vic Metro game; in which I thought he was probably best on ground. So, on the strength of that, you'd assume that he would go high in the draft. If our first pick is earlier than GWS's first pick (odds are), then putting in a bid if he's still untaken, has strong appeal. I think that we need more inside midfield depth, and with him coming from Canberra, there would be less chance of the go home factor, exerting its influence.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast