Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFLW

AFLW

How far are we from fielding an AFLW team? Next year there will be an additional 4 teams entering the competition, bringing the total to 14. We'll be on of the few clubs without an AFLW team, which is increasingly becoming part of clubs branding.

I know we're developing girls through our Swans Academy and the club have previously stated they wanted to wait in order to do it right from the get go, which includes facilities. Is it tied up then with the training facilities that will be built at Royal Hall?

Not worried, rather we do it right and field a decent competitive team but haven't heard any updates or projections in a while. Would be great to see an AFLW GF at a capacity filled SCG one day, like the Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

Sydney Swans secure new home for HQ & Community Centre in Moore Park - sydneyswans.com.au

"The centre will also be home to the Sydney Swans NEAFL team and QBE Sydney Swans boys and girls Academies, while importantly it will provide the necessary capacity and infrastructure to enable the Swans to establish a future Sydney Swans women’s team."

The absolute earliest we will get a license is 2021. How good will it be to see a young Kirk, O'Loughlin and Davis running around the SCG?

Thanks Aardvark. Post 2021 sounds about right as it also ties in when the rugby scheduling at the SCG should cease. Didn't realise Kirk, Davis and O'Loughlin's daughters are in the academy. That would be sensational to see those names grace the SCG once more! Hopefully there'll be more Father-Daughters coming into the academy.

Veterans List
    It's funny, previously past players would have a daughter, you'd be happy for them but it was followed by a bit of a sigh...."no father/son prospect!".....but now it's "Yay!" either way!

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I'm afraid you are probably right, Barry. It's just rugby league..... we can't be expected to follow that.
    That is just a bridge too far.
    What has finally convinced me it is a victorian competition is the way they have established the womens league.
    Most people outside of victoria believe the competition is carrying too many victorian teams which is an issue borne out of its creation from an expanded VFL.
    With the Womens comp they had a chance to develop a competition that has teams at the optimal australia-wide setup. SOmething like 2 perth, 2 adelaide, 1 or 2 NSW, 1 or 2 QLD, 5-6 Vic.
    The initial setup looked promising, but now they are just going toward emulating the mens team setup.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    What has finally convinced me it is a victorian competition is the way they have established the womens league.
    Most people outside of victoria believe the competition is carrying too many victorian teams which is an issue borne out of its creation from an expanded VFL.
    With the Womens comp they had a chance to develop a competition that has teams at the optimal australia-wide setup. SOmething like 2 perth, 2 adelaide, 1 or 2 NSW, 1 or 2 QLD, 5-6 Vic.
    The initial setup looked promising, but now they are just going toward emulating the mens team setup.
    All clubs in the AFL should have a women's team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    Eventually I'm sure they will, but at the moment the talent pool simply isn't available to support 18 teams

Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    Why?
    Why propogate the lopsided victorian bias ?

Best structure is:
    NSW - 1 team (keep as is)
    QLD - 1 team (keep as is)
    WA - 2 teams ( bring in WC)
    SA - 2 teams (bring in Port)
    Vic - 6 teams North Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, Bulldogs (No new teams)

6:6 split. No new teams, and if new ones then in NSW and QLD if demand warrants it.
    Last edited by barry; 3rd April 2019 at 02:36 PM.

Veterans List
    Why?

Best structure is:
    NSW - 1 team (keep as is)
    QLD - 1 team (keep as is)
    WA - 2 teams ( bring in WC)
    SA - 2 teams (bring in Port)
    Vic - 6 teams North Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, Bulldogs (No new teams)

6:6 split. No new teams, and if new ones then in NSW and QLD if demand warrants it.
    You don't want the Swans to have their own women's team?

Why?
    If you want to reduce the number of Victorian men's teams that's fine but AFLW won't work unless every AFL club has a team. The whisper is that the last remaining 4 clubs will be offered a license in 2021 anyway so it's probably a bit of a pointless argument.
    What impresses me is this thread has managed to stay on the main board. It is another indicator that AFLW is here to stay.
    I hope i'm still around the day the Swans AFLW team run out onto the SCG for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    If you want to reduce the number of Victorian men's teams that's fine but AFLW won't work unless every AFL club has a team.
    But why does the AFLW have to have the same teams as AFLM (AFL mens) ?
    The AFLW is working quite well without all AFL clubs having a team.

The only interest driving this is club self-interest. Is that the "why" ?. Clubs who arent in, and see it as a success will want in.
    But does that mean its in the competitions best interest ? I dont think so. The AFLM has a structural problem of too many vic teams. It shouldnt be propogated to AFLW.

Its up to the AFL commission to be independent of the clubs self-interest.
    Last edited by barry; 4th April 2019 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    You don't want the Swans to have their own women's team?
    I do, and my plan allows that. (if the available talent warrants it).

Being the only professional outdoor sport for women in this country, if the wages are high enough it will attract a lot of good women athletes from "sydney" sports such as rugby and league. There wont be the state based talent imbalance you see in the AFL mens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast