Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 3 Weekly Discussion Thread

It felt like everyone on RWO had reached the end of their tether with Gazza last year. Different vibe on here now!

Last week Swans had 55 i50s. Last night Geelong 49. I think they deliver it better than we do though.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its certainly a different perspective seeing him at another team. But his output ( the commentator said 6 possessions for 2 goals, sometime in the last quarter I think) is pretty much on par with his Swans performances in the 2015-2017 period.
    I do find myself barracking for him when the ball enters the geelong forward line. I wish him all the best.

The ball does enter the forward 50 more often at geelong than it did at Sydney.
    it is so clear watching him that the stats don't tell the story of his game. There were a number of times last night when he ran 50 or 70 metres at pace and closed down an option without necessarily laying a tackle or making a smother, so he doesn't even get a 1%er stat. And he seemed to have licence to move up the ground—he was sometime all the way up at HBF, and then would run past the pack to set up in a forward pocket. He just looked 'on', running on top of the grass, and looking like he was having a great time.

And for the record, I was not on the dump Gaz bandwagon last year. Love him.

Veterans List
    I was on Gary up to about round 20 or so last year.....then I got sick of waiting. So did the club.....I thought they were right and no one including the club, has a crystal ball.

It was always on the cards he was going to go well at a new environment.....one that has a game plan that suits him. As such, he was probably never going to deliver to his potential at the Swans.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I was on Gary up to about round 20 or so last year.....then I got sick of waiting. So did the club.....I thought they were right and no one including the club, has a crystal ball.

It was always on the cards he was going to go well at a new environment.....one that has a game plan that suits him. As such, he was probably never going to deliver to his potential at the Swans.
    New environment , fresh start , maybe a kick up the ass getting moved on . All factors. Also worth noting the whole Geelong team seems reinvigorated , they’ve shaken up their midfield mix ( Selwood playing on a wing more than on ball, more young guys in the middle etc. ) and Brought in some players with a specific role in mind and so far it’s paying off. It highlighted to me last night that the cats , who the past few years I’ve always viewed as a team that will certainly win a lot of games and make finals but will never look like winning the flag, have realised doing the same old thing will achieve the same old results. And you know what, they seem to have done something about it and so far it’s working ! What do you know !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned in a thread somewhere he’s sorely missed at the Swans.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Mentioned in a thread somewhere he’s sorely missed at the Swans.
    Don't tell me we're going to rewrite history like people have done with Mitchell. People were happy for both to be traded out given the circumstances at the time.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Don't tell me we're going to rewrite history like people have done with Mitchell. People were happy for both to be traded out given the circumstances at the time.
    This is a good point. Was going to argue re Mitchell , and I wanted him to stay but saw the logic of losing him to keep Heeney and Mills who I thought would be both become better players than Tom . That remains to be seen at this point. Mitchell’s departure also coincided with Hanners decline and a drop of from JPK and slightly in Parker as well. All magnifying Toms excellent form for the hawks. Rohan is a different one , don’t mind that he left at all , and don’t mind seeing him do well . He was stale and I think it was the best thing for him to leave . He’s been good so far , but he’s been good before with us , just never consistently . That still remains to be seen with the cats , he was very average in round 1 .

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    New environment , fresh start , maybe a kick up the ass getting moved on . All factors. Also worth noting the whole Geelong team seems reinvigorated , they’ve shaken up their midfield mix ( Selwood playing on a wing more than on ball, more young guys in the middle etc. ) and Brought in some players with a specific role in mind and so far it’s paying off. It highlighted to me last night that the cats , who the past few years I’ve always viewed as a team that will certainly win a lot of games and make finals but will never look like winning the flag, have realised doing the same old thing will achieve the same old results. And you know what, they seem to have done something about it and so far it’s working ! What do you know !

+1 the Swans could take a leaf out of that book

Eddie completely ignored the coin toss.

Veteran Site Admin
    Hard to know which is more of a mess in tonight's game - Melbourne's completely disorganised, hapless defence or the umpiring.

The commentators were crapping on about how Dunstall, Lockett etc might feel seeing some of the soft (or non) frees that have been paid tonight right in front of goal. But if Buddy doesn't have anything better to do this evening, I can imagine him sitting in front of the telly thinking "What about me?"

It's not just the soft frees. I think the umpires have forgotten some of the rules. Why wasn't the Bombers' goal allowed to stand when they played on after the free to Zaharakis? It was continuous play and supposedly players have the choice. So why did the subsequent goal not stand?

Demons seem to have found their mojo ready for next week!

It’s a free-flowing game, a few clangers but it’s pretty enjoyable.
    Could go either way.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast