Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 3 Weekly Discussion Thread

Thought bombers were gorn

Veterans List
    What a weird game.....Essendon hold sway in the first quarter, Melbourne take over completely in the second with 8 goals to 2, now Essendon 7 goals to nil in the third. Bizarre!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd hate to be a Dee fan.....

Senior Player
    Thought tonight's game would be a bit of a bust, but it's quite enjoyable. Two teams with critics and a lot to prove, going at it. Bombers have had a few great quick finishes in front of the goals.

Speed out of the midfield seems to be defining a few teams this season, makes the lack of it at the Swans really noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Mentioned in a thread somewhere he’s sorely missed at the Swans.
    Let's just see how he goes in finals first.

Do we want to face a Demons side who are 0-3 or 1-2?

Demons playing Swans-style defensive football... with predictable results

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Thought tonight's game would be a bit of a bust, but it's quite enjoyable. Two teams with critics and a lot to prove, going at it. Bombers have had a few great quick finishes in front of the goals.

Speed out of the midfield seems to be defining a few teams this season, makes the lack of it at the Swans really noticeable.
    I thought the game a comedy of errors

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    I'm a little bemused at some of the comments about Rohan. As far as I can see, he's doing pretty much exactly the same he did with us when he was fit - exert a lot of pressure with his speed, not touch the ball much, but kick a few goals here and there.

For some reason he was singled out (by some) for blame during games when our midfield failed to show up, as if that was his fault. He wasn't the kind of player for us that was able to step into the breach and make up for Parker, Hanners, Kennedy, Jack etc all going missing at the same time. Very few forwards can do that, but particularly Gary. We haven't yet seen him play in a mediocre Cats side because they've played pretty well so far this year. We'll have to wait and see whether he's able to contribute any better to them when the rest of the team is down. My money is on "no".

I was sorry to see him go and I'm not entirely sure why he did. For all the talk coming out of the club that it was for family reasons, to enable he, wife and daughter to be closer to both parents' families, comments from Rohan suggest it was very much the club instigating the move rather than Gary and his family. Maybe they genuinely thought a change of scenery would be best for him, coming off what was his worst year (2018) since recovering from the broken leg - for understandable reasons.

I did notice that he seemed to complete a pre-season with Geelong this year, something I think he's failed to do any year with the Swans. Maybe before the leg he might have completed most of a pre-season, but even in his first couple of years he had a couple of injuries that restricted him. Since coming back from the leg, he seemed to be plagued by hamstring injuries every year that restricted him to water boy for most of the pre-season. Whether it just happens that this year his body was OK, or the Cats pushed him a little harder not to "give into" sore hamstrings, I couldn't know.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    What a weird game.....Essendon hold sway in the first quarter, Melbourne take over completely in the second with 8 goals to 2, now Essendon 7 goals to nil in the third. Bizarre!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd hate to be a Dee fan.....
    Supporting Melbourne would be the worst.

All those cheese platters would be a bit much

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hard to know which is more of a mess in tonight's game - Melbourne's completely disorganised, hapless defence or the umpiring.

The commentators were crapping on about how Dunstall, Lockett etc might feel seeing some of the soft (or non) frees that have been paid tonight right in front of goal. But if Buddy doesn't have anything better to do this evening, I can imagine him sitting in front of the telly thinking "What about me?"

It's not just the soft frees. I think the umpires have forgotten some of the rules. Why wasn't the Bombers' goal allowed to stand when they played on after the free to Zaharakis? It was continuous play and supposedly players have the choice. So why did the subsequent goal not stand?
    Umpiring so far this year very ordinary and the inconsistency quite galling. Watch one match and they let a lot go. Another game and they crucify defenders and others for the softest of infringements, often at crucial times. Very difficult job I know but taking the enjoyment out of the game. That 100 metre penalty rule is a blight and goes against the spirit of the game and the instincts of players that have developed over many years. Wayne Carey is the only one game enough to allude to the problem of umpiring. Most others protecting AFL 'brand'.

Dangerous for us next week, now having to face a one of the pre season premiership fancies who is 0-3. Just our luck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast