Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buddy Trade Ban still hurting Swans

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Boddo - enjoy your posts - hope you rejoin following Swans like you used to. I am more disillusioned but went on Saturday and still bet a big kick out of watching the team. Great club, culture and character.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Boddo - enjoy your posts - hope you rejoin following Swans like you used to. I am more disillusioned but went on Saturday and still bet a big kick out of watching the team. Great club, culture and character.
    I hope I end up loving the AFL like I used to. Which basically means the competition is competently run with a view to it being a sporting competition like it should be.

Like I’ve said I still have a soft spot for the club.

Probably the best run club considering it’s not a footy mad state. It’s the blueprint of how a club should be run. Stability and integrity.

I think the no trading had an impact

Very difficult to quantify

No doubt we may have picked up a couple emerging top value players like a kennedy, mummy, Mcglynn etc

But i don’t think anyone would have predicted the demise and reduced game time of hannes and jack over a couple seasons who at their peak were awesome

Tom leaving

The Reid and Rohan couple seasons out and not really going to the next level at all

Etc etc

These factors are quite often the difference between a top4 or a top8 position which can split the road of success

The umpiring in 2016 was so one sided even

The game becoming so fast so quickly and designed for triathletes which we are bit by bit aligning to

Etc

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    I look back upon the trade ban n realised it was the beginning of the end of my love for AFL. The competition reeks of a sports entertainment business to make money for the Melbourne boys club.

I absolutely enjoy following my local Australian rules side now & still have a soft spot for the swans but I have no interest in following a competition that has its main goal is to make money ahead of a fair competition. I still watch Sydney but only occasionally now if it’s on tv and I’ve got nothing on.

Sadly I am starting to see this in other people a lot more. So there’s no surprise the games tv ratings were down last year.

The game desperately needs a separation of powers that the AFL have over the game. Like the ANFC.

Australian National Football Council - Wikipedia

And lastly I have no idea why anyone thinks the media would ask any questions in regards to the trade ban. They have AFL accreditation to hold onto, they lose this and they are basically ostracised from gaining access to the games players, coaches and administrators. Basically your reporting of the game ends.

It’s not a sporting competition, it’s a business to make as much money as possible for the admistraters.
    Magnificent call and reference to the ANFC. Its loss was a loss of a cooperative national structure reflecting the community bases in each region. What we have now with the AFL is brilliantly efficient as a corporate machine and we live with the trade offs that brings, good and bad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123