Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Buddy joined the Sydney Swans

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Buddy going from power club Hawthorn to power club Sydney soon after a flag is free agency working for the benefit of the competition.

Lynch going from weak struggler Gold Coast to power club Richmond soon after a flag is free agency working against the benefit of the competition.

Which one should be penalised ?
    The Swans.

A star player going from a Victorian club to a NSW club has to be penalised to discourage this kind of recruiting in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Two parts down, still waiting to read anything new. Don’t understand the point of these articles.

Now if part 3 demolishes the ‘Swans cheated with COLA to get Buddy’ story, then there will have been a very valid point ......
    I found it intriguing in Part 1 after we'd picked up Tippett in the 2012 draft, Buddy immediately texted his manager (Liam Pickering) on why we did that. This to me showed Buddy had his heart set on us from the very beginning as well as Jesinta! It also begs the question had we got Buddy first would the club still have pursued Tippett? Buddy's text message caught Pickering by surprise who thought Buddy had no interest whatsoever leaving Hawthorn.

It also further highlighted to me just how much a legendary operator Andrew Ireland was for us, to have the instinct to make an enquiry with Pickering after detecting Buddy was making visits to Jesinta in Sydney. This would've been at least 12 months before GWS leant Buddy might be get able, which harpoons any notion that we'd stolen Buddy from them!
    Last edited by KSAS; 11th April 2019 at 01:54 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I found it intriguing in Part 1 after we'd picked up Tippett in the 2012 draft, Buddy immediately texted his manager (Liam Pickering) on why we did that. This to me showed Buddy had his heart set on us from the very beginning as well as Jesinta! It also begs the question had we got Buddy first would the club still have pursued Tippett? Buddy's text message caught Pickering by surprise who thought Buddy had no interest whatsoever leaving Hawthorn.

It also further highlighted to me just how much a legendary operator Andrew Ireland was for us, to have the instinct to make an enquiry with Pickering after detecting Buddy was making visits to Jesinta in Sydney. This would've been at least 12 months before GWS leant Buddy might be get able, which harpoons any notion that we'd stolen Buddy from them!
    I don't know about the legendary operator bit, but Ireland was just doing what any business person would do if they saw a big
    fish swimming around just outside their patch. Probably the GWS guy, who is no slouch himself, noticed that too. In the end, it
    worked out pretty well. We need Buddy more than GWS do. They have Jeremy Cameron, who is a similar type of player, and is
    also going to end up kicking a considerable number of goals.

I find it intriguing too, at worst it’s entertaining . Thanks for sharing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HS are running 3 part (paywall) series detailing how Buddy came to us. Today is part 1 and Parts 2 & 3 will be published tomorrow and Friday respectively. We all know the story, but I found this interesting as it details all the secret meetings we had with Buddy and learnt more of the story that I hadn't known previously. I got sense just how well thought out and ahead of the curve the club were in securing Buddy. They were prepared for the huge backlash this was going to cause & how we wouldn't be viewed as a club the same again. Looking forward to parts 2 & 3.

PART 1:
    Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

PART 2:

PART 3: (a day earlier than originally advertised)
    Last edited by KSAS; 11th April 2019 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Two parts down, still waiting to read anything new. Don’t understand the point of these articles.

Now if part 3 demolishes the ‘Swans cheated with COLA to get Buddy’ story, then there will have been a very valid point ......
    You're going to be disappointed, but you already knew that!

Don't understand the GWS & AFL's accusations that we "stole" Buddy. They IMPLIED Buddy had agreed to and even signed with GWS, but failed to produce any verification or proof of that! Buddy clearly had his heart set on us from the outset & DEMANDED that kept secret from everyone on the outside till the end. Worked out better for GWS which they've admitted, as the fallout from our Buddy deal resulted them netting Mumford & Heath Shaw.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Part 3 doesn't work for me.

You're going to be disappointed, but you already knew that!

Don't understand the GWS & AFL's accusations that we "stole" Buddy. They IMPLIED Buddy had agreed to and even signed with GWS, but failed to produce any verification or proof of that! Buddy clearly had his heart set on us from the outset & DEMANDED that kept secret from everyone on the outside till the end. Worked out better for GWS which they've admitted, as the fallout from our Buddy deal resulted them netting Mumford & Heath Shaw.
    Its kind of ironic that all parties won out of this deal.
    GWS were able to build a stronger team from the ground up without being seduced by the super star.
    Hawthorn went on to be successful without Buddy.
    And Sydney got the membership boost of buddies presence.

On the downside.
    GWS never got the exposure it needed to lift its crowds/support quickly.
    Sydney never got a premiership out of Buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its kind of ironic that all parties won out of this deal.
    And Buddy married Jesinta!

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Part 3 doesn't work for me.
    Hi Ugg, does that mean Parts 1and 2 worked ok for you? If so, I double checked Part 3 and it opened ok for me (and others it seems). I noticed for me that I can only open 1 outline link at a time (i.e it wouldn't open Part 3 till i shutdown the Part 2 window). Hope that helps.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Hi Ugg, does that mean Parts 1and 2 worked ok for you? If so, I double checked Part 3 and it opened ok for me (and others it seems). I noticed for me that I can only open 1 outline link at a time (i.e it wouldn't open Part 3 till i shutdown the Part 2 window). Hope that helps.
    I opened Part 3 first, didn't work. Then opened Part 2 and it worked.

Just tried again and now Part 3 works. The joys of technology!

Thanks KSAS

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Outline never works for me...
    Hi swansrob, I'm no browser guru as Outline is the only way I know getting around some HS paywall articles. All I can suggest is try looking at your browser settings or using other browsers if possible. (I have no probs doing so using safari on my iPad or Google Chrome on my PC).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast