Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Buddy joined the Sydney Swans

How Buddy joined the Sydney Swans

The HS are running 3 part (paywall) series detailing how Buddy came to us. Today is part 1 and Parts 2 & 3 will be published tomorrow and Friday respectively. We all know the story, but I found this interesting as it details all the secret meetings we had with Buddy and learnt more of the story that I hadn't known previously. I got sense just how well thought out and ahead of the curve the club were in securing Buddy. They were prepared for the huge backlash this was going to cause & how we wouldn't be viewed as a club the same again. Looking forward to parts 2 & 3.

PART 1:
    Outline - Read & annotate without distractions
    Last edited by KSAS; 9th April 2019 at 10:23 AM.

Captivating stuff, love moves mountains !
    Please send Parts II and III .

Thank you.

Happy and I know it
    Ooh good story. Wonder why they are running it now, though?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Oh just brilliant!!
    I love Andrew Ireland almost as much as I love Dicky.
    Can't wait for the rest.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Buddy going from power club Hawthorn to power club Sydney soon after a flag is free agency working for the benefit of the competition.

Lynch going from weak struggler Gold Coast to power club Richmond soon after a flag is free agency working against the benefit of the competition.

Which one should be penalised ?

Love this article. Can't wait for the next installments.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Buddy going from power club Hawthorn to power club Sydney soon after a flag is free agency working for the benefit of the competition.

Lynch going from weak struggler Gold Coast to power club Richmond soon after a flag is free agency working against the benefit of the competition.

Which one should be penalised ?
    Neither if they are within the rules, surely.

You could argue Buddy going to the Swans prevented him going to struggler GWS.

Fundamentally free agency works against equalisation because players don’t want to go to struggling clubs.

Senior Player
    Outline never works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Ooh good story. Wonder why they are running it now, though?
    I thought the same. With the recent HS article on our 2 year trade ban now being seen as unjust (which wasn't at the time) and this Buddy article so far reflecting we were geniuses in how we got him (which was't at the time), I think the Melb media, Vic clubs & AFL HQ were just shocked and jealous which reflected their vindicative reactions. Sufficient time has now passed for the dust to settle a bit for the media to have a proper perspective of events. Though 6 years too late! OR they think we'll slide this year and setting us up for article later in the year with Buddy move being seen as a failure (no flag).
    Last edited by KSAS; 9th April 2019 at 01:26 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Fundamentally free agency works against equalisation because players don’t want to go to struggling clubs.
    Unfortunately he may be at one now....

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

you are right.

However we got penalised for both of our big recruits at the time.
    1) Buddy = Trade ban.
    2) Tippett = 11 round suspension. I cant see how its tippetts fault Adelaide hid his payments. He would have no idea what Adelaides TPP was.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I thought the same. With the recent HS article on our 2 year trade ban now being seen as unjust (which wasn't at the time) and this Buddy article so far reflecting we were geniuses in how we got him (which was't at the time), I think the Melb media, Vic clubs & AFL HQ were just shocked and jealous which reflected their vindicative reactions. Sufficient time has now passed for the dust to settle a bit for the media to have a proper perspective of events. Though 6 years too late! OR they think we'll slide this year and setting us up for article later in the year with Buddy move being seen as a failure (no flag).
    Timing is everything. Just like politicians bad decisions no1 bats an eye lid when it comes out half a decade after the fact.

This, trade ban, tanking saga and in a few years it’ll be the doping saga. It’s almost like “let’s clear the slate to obsolve ourselves of the wrong doing” well done HS for this “scoop” 🙄

With the help of the Melbourne media they play everyone for fools.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast