Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 4 Swans vs Dees Thur 11-Apr at SCG #AFLSwansDees @sydneyswans

Wonder if Parker is struggling with the additional responsibilities of captaincy? Some do.

Warming the Bench
    i was very impressed with the first half. Demons stayed in it by kicking some incredibly fluky/lucky goals.
    However as soon as we started to lose the centre clearances John went straight back to being overly defensive.
    Hence we have no one up forward.
    It's excruciating to watch

I was bemused by the Melican bashing. I would have him in the side.
    Especially in front of Thurlow who turned it over continually

I don’t think the sky is falling in despite the game last night so frustrating in the 3rd qtr in particular

A few comments :

1. We need a strong ruckman that can win 50% and negate the influence of the grundys , Gawn’s etc that destroy us in the centre. Naismiths tap work is so needed as a minimum to give us a chance in the middle. We have zero capacity to tap to our midfield players - which is such a disadvantage

2. We are so experienced player dependant this season more then ever ie Menzel, macca, Smith, Grundy when missing really exposes where we are at as a squad -we can even add Naismith and Hayward to that list now

3. In the season 2018 we had the most debutants in the competition and 2019 appears a development year also ie the players of the future are being brought in ahead of their time to experience AFL footy and that means some weeks we will look terrible due to inexperience

4. The long term upside for backing the players for the future is high but the short term pain will hurt.....COR, Blakey, McInerney, Thurlow, MCartin, Rowbottom, Dawson, Melican, Ling, Cameron etc will be up and down in 2019/20

I don’t think we can keep playing musical chairs looking for answers as we are without doubt on a very real development pathway in 2018/19 and if we want to be competitive again ASAP we need AFL continuity for our young guys go the future

Let’s respond not react - we need to back the players of the future now and provide them some consistent game time in AFL footy just like other clubs have endured such as the dogs, tigers, Melbourne, Carlton, Giants, bombers etc

We have the following teams to play next five rounds and it will be hard to watch but I have decided to refocus on what I am looking for given the cycle we are in

There is no point bashing my eyes against a scene I can’t control .....I’m looking forward to seeing small improvements in our young guys and as a team more flexibility in adapting to the game

Richmond
    Giants
    Lions
    Bombers
    North
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 12th April 2019 at 08:13 AM.

Regular in the Side
    We will be lucky to win another game on that performance. Worst since last year under eade v St Kilda, maybe ? Longmire, why isnt Blakey sitting in the box, who sits next to him now and is the sounding board.
    At last r&w's are catching up to me regarding Lloyd as I said before how he won the B&F, worst kick in the side hits opposition more times than team mates. Need a real think on how and who we play
    get thrashed next week against the tiges.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Unfortunately McInerney had possibly one of the worsed debut performances by a player from any club tonight! 1 disposal is almost un-heard of in modern footy! He is a far better player than that and I really hope they give him another chance next week, if for nothing else than to give him a bit of confidence as I'm sure he'll do much better 2nd time around.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    I'm sure he'll be fine in time but he clearly isn't ready yet, we basically played 1 short last night (2 if you include Blakey)

Blokes like COR, Rose and even Rowbottom would have every right to feel aggrieved about not getting a gig

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Interesting about Parker. Is he a player who stars when he has a good team around him, who is now unable to impose himself on a game. Leadership is sorely lacking. On Kennedy; I can't knock him because he always has a go, but his kicking has gone right off.
    Parker is a 3rd -4th banana, not a second that he is currently being asked to play

Kennedy isn't the player he used to be but he's still being asked to be the main man, its a complete failure on the part of the club that they haven't planned for this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    They’ve turned on Buddy. Comical.
    Agreed, we've got plenty of other issues, he's clearly still not right the way he kicked last night though

I can see why there is frustration though as when he is off, he is bad.

Blog Entries
    I hope the real game is tonight and last night was just a warm up.

Are we tanking for priority draft picks?
    Basic skills just aren't there. The AUSKICK KIDS were better at manning up, playing the ball, handballing out of traffic, taking easy marks and kicking goals.

Can someone tell me what the point of kicking it to no-one in particular is?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Cut out most of the unforced errors and it could/would have been a different result last night.
    Zac Jones is showing McVeigh like poise in traffic. Most improved so far this year.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Man (Buddy) recovering from groin surgery......he'll be back to his best, as long as he doesn't tweak it.
    Players don't often reach their peak in their thirties, but perhaps he's the exception, that would be great for the club because we've still got 3 more seasons of Buddy to go after this one.
    I wonder if the glamour will last to the very end?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's not a fact - yet. He hasn't been able to so far this season. That's not enough evidence to confirm he's lost the ability for good. He's playing catch-up with his pre-season, after barely being able to train at all last year. After a while that takes its toll. It has to. He has been just a smidgeon slower this year, and he doesn't yet have the timing in his kicking but I'll back him to get it back.

As for the rest of the game/team, I thought our boys more than matched the very good midfield of Melbourne in the first half. We were wasteful in front of goal (and two goals we did get were from very soft - or non-existent -free kicks, while the Dees scored a few arsey ones to keep closer on the scoreboard than they should.

Clearly Melbourne were the better side in the second half and deserved their win in the end. Despite their poor start to the year, they are a pretty good side.

We can't know for sure, but I suspect part of the reason for the second half fade-out was fatigue, coming off a five day break. Five day breaks are pretty brutal on all sides. I'd be more concerned had we been shown up for skill/run in the first half and then staged a second half comeback, since it would be harder to attribute that to fatigue. Even the very poor skills in the second half were probably at least partly due to fatigue. Buddy looked shot towards the end. A couple of times the ball was loose in his zone and he just stood and watched it. That's very un-Buddy like.

There will always be complaints about selection, it seems. Sure, McInerney probably wasn't ready for a game, but I can guarantee there would have been lots of moaning had Rose been selected instead. Or Clarke. And it's likely that Rowbottom wouldn't have fared any better than McInerney. He was actually a lot better than a one-possession game suggests. There were a few times he cracked in and made a contest when it looked like the Dees were about to swoop away with the ball. I hope he gets one more go next week since there isn't really a ready player knocking down the door (if you exclude our NEAFL stand-out in Rose). Even if he doesn't do much more than he did today, he'll be better for the experience and I hate players getting dropped after just one game unless there's an experienced player returning from injury who pushes them out.

Blakey isn't yet able to contribute much during a game, but it's great getting glimpses of what he can do. That contest where he won himself a free kick, sandwiched between two Dees players, but didn't need it because he won the ball cleanly once it hit the deck was pretty impressive.

I really liked Dawson's first half. He finally started to look as if he believed he belongs. He faded in the second half, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Heeney was another who was quietish in the second half, but early on he looked like he was going to tear the game apart. I wonder how much effect that (blatant in the back) tackle towards the end of the first half had on him. He was very slow to get up and must have been sore after it.

I thought Aliir was one of our shining lights. Ludwig reckons he's better value playing loose, but he's providing a lot of value as a close checking defender. Sure, he was beaten in a few contests, but he won far more than he lost. And he made ONE really bad disposal blue during the game. I doubt there were any team mates who made fewer. Rampe, possibly.

I thought Jack was really lively. He's unlikely to ever recapture his form of a few years ago, but he offered a lot tonight. If this is to be his last season, I hope he can make it a good one.

Mills was uncharacteristically poor overhead tonight, but last week he was one of our best. Maybe he's realised that if he's ever going to get a go in the midfield he needs to stop playing well in defence. Sadly, with McVeigh out, his chances of an imminent move have probably taken a dive.

Parker is a bit of a puzzle. He's one of the few we have in the middle with oodles of experience (along with Kennedy) but he's only played one really good quarter so far this season. We need him to refind his mojo and give a bit of support to Kennedy if we're to become more competitive this year. If he's carrying something of an injury, maybe he should be spending more time in the forward line to release Heeney to play further up the ground (assuming Heeney is fully over his ankle issue - last week he certainly seemed to be).

A few posters have bemoaned that "this is going to be a long year". That depends entirely on how you view this season. We've been utterly spoilt as Swans fans for more than a decade, expecting our team to qualify for the finals. I certainly hope the team has improvement in it this year but if we don't make the finals, it's not the end of the world. It's not like we have a team of ageing journeymen out there, performing poorly. Rather, we have a team with a lot of young and youngish players and I'm willing to be patient and enjoy watching them develop as the year goes on, even if the results aren't always as we'd like.
    Great post Liz with one exception. We've been spoilt for over TWO decades.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    A few posters have bemoaned that "this is going to be a long year". That depends entirely on how you view this season. We've been utterly spoilt as Swans fans for more than a decade, expecting our team to qualify for the finals. I certainly hope the team has improvement in it this year but if we don't make the finals, it's not the end of the world. It's not like we have a team of ageing journeymen out there, performing poorly. Rather, we have a team with a lot of young and youngish players and I'm willing to be patient and enjoy watching them develop as the year goes on, even if the results aren't always as we'd like.
    While I agree Liz, I think what is frustrating is that we are playing what, at the moment is proving to be a very 'poor style' of footy.

Its one thing to play some decent, good to watch footy but still get beat because we are a group of younger players developing, that need patience. We have had moments where we have turned on some really good footy, but they have been few and far between so far. Too much of the football we have shown in the first 4 months has been, for want of a better term, pretty turgid. And that in part is being driven by what some might consider a tactical approach that is struggling to keep up with the times.

I too will enjoy watching the younger players develop, and hopefully seeing some more improved patches of football as the season goes on. But that doesn't mean I will find our 'bad' footy at times particularly enjoyable to watch, and I think that is why some in broad terms feel like it will be a long year. But you are right - we have been very spoilt for a long time.

I'm hoping this year will be like 2009 - disappointing as an overall season, but one in which the path forward begins to clearly emerge.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Retention and recruitment is always difficult but have we made huge mistakes in letting Mitchell and Toby Nankervis. Can't recall that many players we have let go that have become crucial to their teams. I know salary cap roulette is difficult but I feel we erred big time letting these two go.

Hindsight is wonderful but I always thought we needed to keep both of them even if we had to sacrifice other top line players.