Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast
Results 289 to 300 of 316

Thread: #AFL Round 4 Swans vs Dees Thur 11-Apr at SCG #AFLSwansDees @sydneyswans

  1. #289
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,954
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    If Buddy were allowed to be traded at this point then in theory Hawthorn could feel aggrieved as they weren't able to match our 9 year contract offer under Free Agency, which the AFL specified had to be binding for the duration. On the other side of the coin, not allowing Buddy to be traded could be considered as a restraint of trade.
    They weren't willing - don't know about not able. I can see the issue if Buddy were to retire or be delisted. But if he demands a trade to another club (and another club is willing to take him), that's a completely different scenario.

    I really don't believe we're having this discussion - hypothetical or otherwise - about trading Buddy. It's daft. He's the best player at the club by some margin, and the most important drawcard by an even larger margin (with only Heeney maybe within shouting distance). He's a joy to watch and seems to be enjoying his football as much as ever, and enjoying the relative anonymity that Sydney offers him (off-field).

    I can't agree with those who describe his game on Thursday as a "stinker". It might not have been his best game ever for the club but he was moving well, had a decent number of shots at goal (even though his kicking wasn't on), applied good pressure, set team mates up for other scoring opportunities etc. He has had a few games for the club that I would describe as stinkers (the Geelong final of a couple of years ago, last year's GWS final, possibly the 2016GF) but most (and certainly the examples I've provided) were when he was severely hampered by injury (and possibly shouldn't have been out there when he carried the injury into the game). These games have been few and far between.

  2. #290
    The only time the Vic media talk about players outside of victoria is when they talk about trade rumors of them going to victoria.
    If buddy got traded, we would be carrying half his salary. Hawthorn might be a target. (Ala the ablett return)

  3. #291
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    3,580
    Best to not waste time talking about this, Buddy is going no where except to our goal square.

    Just watched the first half of this game for the first time. If we had kicked straighter and Melbourne didn't jag them every time they had a shy at the sticks we probably would have won. Looked to me like a game of small percentages making a big difference both ways, not the doom and gloom I'm reading. This with several players hardly contributing as well.

  4. #292
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I really don't believe we're having this discussion - hypothetical or otherwise - about trading Buddy. It's daft. He's the best player at the club by some margin, and the most important drawcard by an even larger margin (with only Heeney maybe within shouting distance). He's a joy to watch and seems to be enjoying his football as much as ever, and enjoying the relative anonymity that Sydney offers him (off-field).
    Agreed, it's just not going to happen, end of story

  5. #293
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    3,580
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The only time the Vic media talk about players outside of victoria is when they talk about trade rumors of them going to victoria.
    If buddy got traded, we would be carrying half his salary. Hawthorn might be a target. (Ala the ablett return)
    Going to Hawthorn is not guaranteeing finals appearances for Buddy! If that's what the "what do we dream up now" Vic media are suggesting. Vic media love a returning home to Victoria trade, starts with every unsigned player at least a year out from contract expiry, gets tiring to listen to.

    Remember last year, was it Tom Browne saying on TV one night that Rory Sloane would sign with Hawthorn within days, next morning he re-signs with Crows! Just idle fill airwaves nonsense.

  6. #294
    I totally made up the Buddy to Hawthorn comment.

    But its probably the only team that would take him:
    - They are in high poaching mode.
    - They already had a romantic view of his return.
    - They seem desperate to stay contenders by trading in established players.

  7. #295
    RWOs Black Sheep AnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    At Goodesy's Place
    Posts
    10,898
    Well, again, that was pretty crap.
    It really doesn't help when you only turn up for a quarter or so.
    I'm not going to repeat the "basic skills" rant... you've all heard it before. One day, they'll get them right.
    A 75% chance of losing next week.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

  8. #296
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Going to Hawthorn is not guaranteeing finals appearances for Buddy! If that's what the "what do we dream up now" Vic media are suggesting. Vic media love a returning home to Victoria trade, starts with every unsigned player at least a year out from contract expiry, gets tiring to listen to.

    Remember last year, was it Tom Browne saying on TV one night that Rory Sloane would sign with Hawthorn within days, next morning he re-signs with Crows! Just idle fill airwaves nonsense.
    The amount of clangers committed by Browne etc is astounding. Never held accountable.

  9. #297
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    3,335
    Coaches votes.....out of a possible 30 pts, our Swans got 4, all to Florent. A fair reflection of the game really.....effort wise.

    Coaches' votes, R4: Dog surges clear, 10 for seven-goal Don - AFL.com.au

  10. #298
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Best to not waste time talking about this, Buddy is going no where except to our goal square.

    Just watched the first half of this game for the first time. If we had kicked straighter and Melbourne didn't jag them every time they had a shy at the sticks we probably would have won. Looked to me like a game of small percentages making a big difference both ways, not the doom and gloom I'm reading. This with several players hardly contributing as well.
    +1.
    Watch the first half again all those who are wallowing in the disappointment of a loss. The team is not far away from one expected to be a premiership contender. We were always going to struggle to back up after 5 days in a best case scenario, let alone after Heeney and Sinclair were injured.

  11. #299
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    3,335
    I used to enjoy checking out the Coaches votes because the Swans always figured in them pretty strongly.....not so far this season which is no surprise. No player has racked 12 aggregate yet (Gaff....two games back and 13 pts already! A gun!)

    LEADERBOARD
    34 Marcus Bontempelli
    29 Patrick Cripps
    26 Tim Kelly
    25 Patrick Dangerfield
    24 Lachie Neale
    23 Lachie Whitfield
    19 Sebastian Ross
    18 Jeremy Cameron
    17 Travis Boak
    17 Stephen Coniglio
    16 Luke Shuey
    15 Shaun Higgins
    14 Nat Fyfe
    13 Andrew Gaff
    13 Jade Gresham
    13 Daniel Rich
    12 Ben Cunnington
    12 Scott Lycett
    12 Jack Macrae
    12 Rory Sloane
    12 Michael Walters

    Not complaining.....just sayin'. It's an accurate reflection of our season.

  12. #300
    Don't put bud in goalsquare. Free the bud. Play him high half forward or on the wing. I'd love to see it. Matthew Richardson had a career renaissance roaming free.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO