Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5 v Tigers

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's an interesting question. Is McLean on the senior list or the rookie list? If he's on the rookie list (to replace the inactive Tippett), then maybe Bell could play (with Maibaum on the LTIL).

In any case, I don't think Bell is ready for senior football yet. His progression in the early stages of the season has been encouraging - he's stayed far more involved in the play throughout games, rather than drifting in and out as he was prone to do last year. A large part of this is, I suspect, greater responsibility and the chance to play around the ball now that the likes of Towers, Robinson and Foote are no longer in the team. He moves very smoothly and is capable of executing skills well. But I think, at times, he is prone to dispose of the ball without thinking, or looking for an option. That's sometimes necessary when under pressure, but he still needs to get a better feel for how much pressure he is under in each situation, and to still retain some composure when he is under pressure (recognising that the pressure at senior level will be more constant and more intense).

I think he's tracking reasonably well but I remain agnostic about whether or not he is a senior player in the making. He has some competition from other players seemingly best suited to playing predominantly outside, in Ling and Stoddart (and McInerney and maybe Tucker when we get to see him). It's an area where the senior team could do with an injection of class, but only in time, when these players are ready. And they're unlikely to all find a place in the same senior team in the near future.
    Interesting point you make there about who McLean replaced. Certainly it was put forward that it was Maibaum, a least from an availability sense, however it would have made greater sense for us to have him as a rookie replacement for Tippett given he is inactive.
    On that note I just checked the Swans website and McLean is listed as a rookie therefore we perhaps do have a senior list spot available should we wish to use it assuming it is accurate (and therefore potentially logical to assume McLean actually replaced Tippett on the list).

As for your thoughts on Bell, 100% agree. You’d want to see him put those performances up consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMase View Post
    Are we able to promote Bell? He is a Cat B rookie so we would have to promote him to the senior list to be able to be selected. McLean has replaced Maibaum on the LTIL. Tippett isn’t an option as he is on the rookie list.

I am not sure if we have the ability to promote him right now?
    Naismith isn't able to play until round 8 we could use his lti to promote Bell. I think so anyway

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Clarke and Rowbottom for Blakey And McInerney

Emg: Blakey McInerney Fox Melican

Richmond: Houli and Martin for Graham and Menadue

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Clarke and Rowbottom for Blakey And McInerney

Emg: Blakey McInerney Fox Melican

Richmond: Houli and Martin for Graham and Menadue
    Rewarding form but would have preferred COR to Clarke who I reckon is a bust

The Swans are more concerned with player development than winning, which is okay by me.

We may have made a commitment to Thurlow and Cllarke that we would give them a fair shot at making the senior side and not just a game or 2 and out.

COR and Rose are both more deserving of spots, based on performance.

Is it just me, or could Ryan Clarke be RWO's new Dean Towers v1.0? Keeps getting picked because of NEAFL form, can't replicate it in the seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Is it just me, or could Ryan Clarke be RWO's new Dean Towers v1.0? Keeps getting picked because of NEAFL form, can't replicate it in the seniors.
    IMHO, he wasn't that good in NEAFL. Rose, COR, Cameron and Stoddart were all more influential than Clarke. His vision, ball use and general decision making just stinks. DT was a far superior players who prior to his poke in the eye, was finally starting to get use to the pace and pressure of the AFL.

Senior Player
    I personally think it is 2 weeks early for Rowbottom but we need pace against the Tigers clearly. He also may be the type of player who 'rises to the level' quickly. He is physically strong enough, good tackler etc.

I think the call on Blakey is a good one - he just needs to get his consistency up a bit and a few weeks in the NEAFL will help.

Pressure is on Sam Reid to perform. He has been just OK - gotta consider how much footy he has missed - but this is a critical year for Sam.

I’m ok with the changes. However, it tells me that Mills isn’t moving to the mids anytime soon.

Rowbottom will likely play mostly forward and apply some more pressure than Blakey. For the future, this game may be a Rowbottom vs Ronke showdown. Whoever plays best stays next week.

Clarke will run from contest to contest and hopefully shuffle the ball out in an ungamely fashion to someone who can actually kick. McInerney couldn’t possibly remain after getting only one possession. I would’ve preferred to see COR in with Mills pushing into the kids but as ordinary as Clarke was a couple of weeks ago, I can’t question his will and effort.

In a way it seems like we are shuffling our bottom 4/6 throughout the season. We just need a few of them to make us stop the shuffling.

Veterans List
    I'm surprised about Clarke getting a game based on comments by the NEAFL watchers. But we need help in the midfield so I can understand why he was selected. He got a lot of the ball in the JLT but struggled against the dogs and crows. Hopefully we see his preseason form return.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I would’ve preferred to see COR in with Mills pushing into the kids but as ordinary as Clarke was a couple of weeks ago, I can’t question his will and effort.
    Imagine how lopsided the umpiring would be then

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Imagine how lopsided the umpiring would be then
    Oops.