Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5 v Tigers

Regular in the Side
    So mis it better to save Cameron for Collingwood and Port Adelaide and have him monstered by the best ruckmen going around or play him against Ricmond where he would be a decent chance of getting on top of Nankervis/Balta and give Sinclair a break in the forward lines. We have enough other non performing talls that we could easily rest one.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    That was part of my point. For years he persisted as a two ruck coach. I agree now he is definitely a one ruck coach and unwilling to experiment
    I’m sure if Naismith was available he’d consider playing 2.

Wasn’t sure where to post this, but this article in the HS may back up Liz’s argument.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/sydney/mick-mcguane-column-why-josh-kennedy-is-the-man-to-stop-richmond-superstar-dustin-martin/news-story/90ea0c11fdab19af4d5c7b38f8cc89f9

There’s been a lot of talk about Lance Franklin this week, but the biggest challenge for Sydney is to get their midfield right — because at the moment they’re getting smashed.

They’re ranked 17th for contested possession and 17th at clearance differential.

Their stoppage work has completely fallen away. They’ve only averaged 26.5 points per game from stoppages and that’s ranked 18th in the competition.

Sydney are only averaging four goals, which was a major scoring source for them previously.

They’ve been outscored by nearly three goals per game from stoppages and are ranked 18th on that marker.

Is it personnel? Is it their structure? Is it individuals not playing their role? All questions that Longmire must have the answers for.

As a result of having a poor stoppage game the scoreboard is suffering either side of the ball. The game ends up being played in their back half and that’s not the modern game.

This is a crunch match for Sydney’s season, and it must start in and around stoppages.

Veteran Site Admin
    We have rested a tall who has provided little in Blakey (though the quality of the little he has provided has been pretty good), and brought in a smaller player in his stead (in Rowbottom). Based on where Rowbottom has played in the NEAFL this year, I expect him to be primarily used as a small forward/half-forward, effectively replacing Blakey.

Your argument seems to be that a combination of Cameron/Sinclair would be more effective than a combination of Reid/Sinclair. We can't know for sure, but a combination of experience and mobility would suggest that, at least in the immediate term, Reid is likely to provide more than Cameron.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Wasn’t sure where to post this, but this article in the HS may back up Liz’s argument.

Category: | Herald Sun

There’s been a lot of talk about Lance Franklin this week, but the biggest challenge for Sydney is to get their midfield right — because at the moment they’re getting smashed.

They’re ranked 17th for contested possession and 17th at clearance differential.

Their stoppage work has completely fallen away. They’ve only averaged 26.5 points per game from stoppages and that’s ranked 18th in the competition.

Sydney are only averaging four goals, which was a major scoring source for them previously.

They’ve been outscored by nearly three goals per game from stoppages and are ranked 18th on that marker.

Is it personnel? Is it their structure? Is it individuals not playing their role? All questions that Longmire must have the answers for.

As a result of having a poor stoppage game the scoreboard is suffering either side of the ball. The game ends up being played in their back half and that’s not the modern game.

This is a crunch match for Sydney’s season, and it must start in and around stoppages.
    I think there are two factors contributing to the net scores from stoppages. One is certainly a drop off in the ability to win clearances ourselves, and score from them. But in past years, we've also been blessed with a defence that was able to prevent the opposition scoring themselves from stoppages. The 6-6-6 change - ie the inability to play a spare man in defence - may be contributing. But we've also seen a marked change in personnel from a defensive group that has been very stable for a number of years. Specifically, we have been without Smith and Reg for most of the season, and McVeigh for the last game. That's over 800 games of experience missing from our backline. I think the effect was noticeable against Melbourne, in particular. Even if you allow for the arsiness of some of the goals they kicked, there were other times when they were able to get a shot at goal away far too easily.

Of course, there's no easy solution given that all three of the missing players are close to the end of their careers. It's up to the newer incumbents to learn how to work together to build a defensive unit as stingy as that we have enjoyed in seasons past. We've been watching a transition of the forward line over a few seasons now, and the midfield over the last couple. But finally that transition has reached our defensive unit too. And while I think part of the answer to our midfield issues is currently playing in defence, I can kinda understand why the coaches are loathe to move him from there.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Your argument seems to be that a combination of Cameron/Sinclair would be more effective than a combination of Reid/Sinclair. We can't know for sure, but a combination of experience and mobility would suggest that, at least in the immediate term, Reid is likely to provide more than Cameron.
    My question is why can't we 'experiment' with playing Cameron instead of Sinclair. We seem to be fine bringing in rookies like McInerney and Rowbottom, but there seems to be a wall around Cameron, despite his consistent high performances in the reserves.

Sinclair has improved so much since coming to the Swans, but we need someone who can put up a better fight at ruck contests. Cameron does well in the reserves. Why not give him a go in the AFL? He has a size advantage over Sinclair, which alone should help balance the ruck contests.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    My question is why can't we 'experiment' with playing Cameron instead of Sinclair. We seem to be fine bringing in rookies like McInerney and Rowbottom, but there seems to be a wall around Cameron, despite his consistent high performances in the reserves.

Sinclair has improved so much since coming to the Swans, but we need someone who can put up a better fight at ruck contests. Cameron does well in the reserves. Why not give him a go in the AFL? He has a size advantage over Sinclair, which alone should help balance the ruck contests.
    I see Cameron as a very similar kind of ruckman to Sinclair, which is probably part of the problem in playing them together. It also makes "resting" Sinclair in favour of Cameron a big call.

I know that Cameron is listed at 5cm taller than Sinclair but I think he's a little less mobile. I wasn't that impressed by his NEAFL ruck work in his first year at the club. I thought looked more like a tall (but relatively non mobile) forward who might be able to pinch hit in the ruck. He's certainly improved his ruck work since then, and even more so, improved his around the ground contributions, but I'm not convinced he'll prove to be a more effective stoppage ruckman than Sinclair if he ever gets an extended chance at senior level. I thought he was clearly outpointed by Nicholls in ruck contests last week, for example. (Though over the course of the game, he was the more valuable contributor of the two because he played the game out and contributed much more around the ground than Nicholls did.)

I do get that we won't know until Cameron gets a chance. But it would be an incredibly big call to drop Sinclair in favour of Cameron. While he has his limitations, he's one of the few players on the list that almost always gives his all during games, even when up against a bigger and/or more talented opponent. It might take an injury to Sinclair to force the coaches' hand, but I'd never want to hope one of our players gets injured, even for a short time.

Regular in the Side
    Sam Reid
    Disposals Tackles Score HO
    WB 10 0 2.1 0
    Ade 9 5 1.0 4
    Car 14 5 0.1 6
    Mel 11 2 0.1 4

Ave 11 3 0.5 3.5

Sam is averaging eleven disposals, three tackles, 3.5 hit outs and less than one goal per game. Cameron would not have to exactly star to match those numbers. We have dropped Blakey and have gone a little shorter this week so there is a bit more room for another tall. No tipster at the AFL has us beating Richmond anyway so perhaps we have little to lose. I did not name Reid to be dropped as thre are other talls not going great guns as well. McCartin does not have big numbers, either and either Franklin or Sinclair might actually benefit from a rest.

Just a bit frustrated that we have these guys like Cameron and Rose burning it up in the NEAFL yet they are not considered for a game. Don't know what Clarke did to get a recall ahead of COR and if match ups were being looked at then Melican might have been the player to sit on Lynch. Easter is the time for miracles and the Swans will need one this weekend.

Senior Player
    Sinclair has been one of our best players this year and was arguably BOG v Carlton. His mobility makes him a threat near goal. He does get worn down by the likes of Gawn and Grundy but so does Nankervis who gets monstered by bigger opponents. In the first half last week, our midfield was on fire but faded. That's our biggest concern. Our collective midfield group is not nimble enough for long enough.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post

Sam is averaging eleven disposals, three tackles, 3.5 hit outs and less than one goal per game. Cameron would not have to exactly star to match those numbers. We have dropped Blakey and have gone a little shorter this week so there is a bit more room for another tall. No tipster at the AFL has us beating Richmond anyway so perhaps we have little to lose. I did not name Reid to be dropped as thre are other talls not going great guns as well. McCartin does not have big numbers, either and either Franklin or Sinclair might actually benefit from a rest.
    Your earlier comment referred specifically to picking Cameron so as to give Sinclair a rest in the forward line, which means picking both in the team, not resting Sinclair entirely.

The idea of "resting" Franklin just to play Cameron has no merit in my eyes. You're talking about one of the all time greats who attracts huge attention from the opposition, compared to a guy who has one game of AFL under his belt. If Franklin is injured, sure, he shouldn't be in the team but I don't think there's any suggestion he is.

McCartin is currently playing in defence. His raw disposal numbers are irrelevant, and his inclusion is even less relevant to a discussion about whether Cameron and Sinclair should be picked in the same team. Unless you're suggesting Cameron should be selected to play as a key defender, a position I've never seen him play in his time in the NEAFL team. The relevant discussion around McCartin is between him and Melican (or Grundy, as and when Grundy has recovered from injury).

So effectively, a call to replace "an underperforming tall" with Cameron has to come down to a choice between him and Reid.

]

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I see Cameron as a very similar kind of ruckman to Sinclair, which is probably part of the problem in playing them together. It also makes "resting" Sinclair in favour of Cameron a big call.

I know that Cameron is listed at 5cm taller than Sinclair but I think he's a little less mobile. I wasn't that impressed by his NEAFL ruck work in his first year at the club. I thought looked more like a tall (but relatively non mobile) forward who might be able to pinch hit in the ruck. He's certainly improved his ruck work since then, and even more so, improved his around the ground contributions, but I'm not convinced he'll prove to be a more effective stoppage ruckman than Sinclair if he ever gets an extended chance at senior level. I thought he was clearly outpointed by Nicholls in ruck contests last week, for example. (Though over the course of the game, he was the more valuable contributor of the two because he played the game out and contributed much more around the ground than Nicholls did.)

I do get that we won't know until Cameron gets a chance. But it would be an incredibly big call to drop Sinclair in favour of Cameron. While he has his limitations, he's one of the few players on the list that almost always gives his all during games, even when up against a bigger and/or more talented opponent. It might take an injury to Sinclair to force the coaches' hand, but I'd never want to hope one of our players gets injured, even for a short time.
    I would not be calling for Sinclair to be dropped either. My take is Cameron and Sinclair can survive in the same team at the expense of Reid. Cameron does a few things well. His defensive 50 work is very good. He gets plenty around the ground. He goes forward and kicks goals. My only objection to him as an AFL player is that I think he needs to attack the contest harder. Crash packs, protect the smalls by blocking and shepherding.

If he steps up the attack in the contest he could be a very good AFL player because everything else is in place. I think the person he probably bmneed to talk with is Jason Ball. They have similar physique, similar qualities, it's just Jason's attack on the contest was fierce in an unassuming way.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

It's not a knock on Sinclair, who I think has been super since he took over the sole ruck duties. I just wonder how long this can go on without Sinclair getting injured and being forced to make a ruck change. Why don't we give Cameron a go while we still have 2 walking ruckman on the list. I just wonder when would be a better chance to give Cameron a few games than at the same time Naismith is injured. Let's find out what our ruck stocks are like.