Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5 v Tigers

I liked Liz's earlier suggestion which was Blakey out, Cameron in - a tall for a tall, even if Cameron might be less mobile than Blakey. I also think it would be better to give Cameron a run against a weaker ruck combo such as Richmond.

Interestingly I thought the changes made against us when we played melb last week was what killed us.......ie when melb went small in the forward line and lead fast and hard for Marks we stumbled

Maybe we feel we should be doing similar this week

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I liked Liz's earlier suggestion which was Blakey out, Cameron in - a tall for a tall, even if Cameron might be less mobile than Blakey. I also think it would be better to give Cameron a run against a weaker ruck combo such as Richmond.
    I don't agree with the suggestion that the time to try Cameron is against a weaker opponent. If he is to come into the side it's either got to be because his inclusion can make the side stronger, or because he's the last ruckman standing.

Richmond are weak, relative to other clubs, in the ruck. (Not saying that Nankervis isn't a competent player, but he's no better than Sinclair, no taller than Sinclair, and the Tigers don't have a strong relief ruckman.) They are strong relative to other clubs in the small, quick man stakes. If we were in imperious form, with all aspects of the team functioning well, there might be an argument for trying to exploit an opposition weakness by loading up in that direction. But only if the club were confident it could dictate the way the game is played. With our current mix of young players struggling for four quarter consistency, and experienced stalwarts not in top form, that would be a recipe for disaster. The best hope is to be able to match Richmond in the way they will try to play the game.

There may be other teams against whom playing two ruckmen won't make us relatively weaker in other aspects of team make up.

To suggest that "finding out about how players might go" should take precedence over putting out a team with the greatest chance of winning a game is, for me, throwing in the towel for the season. And after just four rounds, that's not something I support.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    To suggest that "finding out about how players might go" should take precedence over putting out a team with the greatest chance of winning a game is, for me, throwing in the towel for the season. And after just four rounds, that's not something I support.
    But isn't throwing in McInerney last week, and now Rowbottom, sort of just finding out how players might go? We haven't been picking the best team, but I understand that player development is part of the process, so we can't put our best team on the park every week.

There must be something the coaches don't think is right about Cameron, but I don't know what it is. I can't understand why it never seems his turn to have go, despite stellar performances in the reserves.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    But isn't throwing in McInerney last week, and now Rowbottom, sort of just finding out how players might go? We haven't been picking the best team, but I understand that player development is part of the process, so we can't put our best team on the park every week.

There must be something the coaches don't think is right about Cameron, but I don't know what it is. I can't understand why it never seems his turn to have go, despite stellar performances in the reserves.
    To an extent. I'd give Rose a go ahead of either McInerney or Rowbottom, but Rose is a marginal player at best. Similarly, I'm not quite sure why COR isn't getting a better run (unless he's being punished still for making that bad 50m penalty blue a couple of weeks ago).

But both of those players are pretty inexperienced themselves, and still fringe players. I don't think there's a huge difference in the likely outcome of a game by choosing one of them over a first gamer. On the other hand, switching to a two ruckman structure, something that's only been tried once in recent seasons (and with a bad outcome) is a pretty big structural change. And picking Cameron over either Sinclair or Reid would be a much bigger call than selecting Rowbottom or McInerney over COR or Rose (or Stoddart, who I thought would have been a good inclusion this week).

I do think Cameron deserves a decent go at senior level, and maybe experimenting with two ruckmen (and leaving one of them forward for extended periods) has some merit. But only if it increases the chances of the team winning. I don't think it would against Richmond at Marvel Stadium.

I'm on the fence about Cameron and Sinclair playing together. Happy enough that it's not happening this week given our opposition and current midfield form but would like to see it happen at some stage. Those centre bounces and playing on ball in general play would really take it out of you, especially when you are circa 200cm and 100kg in size.
    Re. Midfield we need to just be harder at the contest. There are too many standing off the ball watching and waiting, a bit like my U9 team's last game. They were still a little uncertain at the contest with the introduction of tackle post Auskick! When I ask my kids at half time why, they either said they were worried they would get tackled and give away a penalty or that they would miss a tackle and give up possession. I told them just to crash into the pack and go hard for the ball. They turned around a 6 goal half time deficit to lose by only a goal (not that scores are kept....). It wouldn't surprise me if the swans midfield has a similar mindset to the kids although I do recognise U9s is not AFL and I'm not Longmire 😉

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'm on the fence about Cameron and Sinclair playing together. Happy enough that it's not happening this week given our opposition and current midfield form but would like to see it happen at some stage. Those centre bounces and playing on ball in general play would really take it out of you, especially when you are circa 200cm and 100kg in size.
    Re. Midfield we need to just be harder at the contest. There are too many standing off the ball watching and waiting, a bit like my U9 team's last game. They were still a little uncertain at the contest with the introduction of tackle post Auskick! When I ask my kids at half time why, they either said they were worried they would get tackled and give away a penalty or that they would miss a tackle and give up possession. I told them just to crash into the pack and go hard for the ball. They turned around a 6 goal half time deficit to lose by only a goal (not that scores are kept....). It wouldn't surprise me if the swans midfield has a similar mindset to the kids although I do recognise U9s is not AFL and I'm not Longmire 😉
    Need you in the box RD. On a serious note, not sure we can have Kennedy and Parker on ball together any more. Whenever there is a loose ball to run onto, we are often beaten to it by quicker off the mark players. Hewitt not that quick either.

Regular in the Side
    Fox, McInerney, McLean and Cameron did not play in the NEAFL win. So possibly some late changes to the Senior Team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Is it just me, or could Ryan Clarke be RWO's new Dean Towers v1.0? Keeps getting picked because of NEAFL form, can't replicate it in the seniors.
    That’s harsh but probably because much as I appreciated Delano I know it’s true😀

Regular in the Side
    Franklin practicing RIGHT foot snaps from 35 out in the warm up.
    And kicking them .

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    Franklin practicing RIGHT foot snaps from 35 out in the warm up.
    And kicking them .
    Where is Rowbottom warming up? Mids or forwards?

Regular in the Side
    So is mccartin

- - - Updated - - -

Rowbottom forward

- - - Updated - - -

Clark looks like playing backline

- - - Updated - - -

Mills taking shots at goal so maybe more mid time

- - - Updated - - -

Mills taking shots at goal so maybe more mid time

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast