Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 5 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Some of the footy shows tonight commented they were uncomfortable with Ablett's booing, saying it had a nasty under tone to it (although not in Adam Goodes territory), suggesting it is related to Ablett's like to Folau's tweet.

To me this shows the HFC fans are one of, if not the most disgraced in the competition once and for all.
    Now I’m confused. If it’s ok for Ablett to like a homophobic tweet, surely it’s ok for Hawthorn fans to express their dislike of him for doing so?

Senior Player
    It's possible that there is quite a bit of generalising going on re Hawthorn fans, especially when trying to understand the
    "meaning" of their booing.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Now I’m confused. If it’s ok for Ablett to like a homophobic tweet, surely it’s ok for Hawthorn fans to express their dislike of him for doing so?
    Yeah I agree. Booing does have a place. Those who preach hate (gays rot in hell) only deserve hate (booing).
    Nothing at all like Goodes.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    It's possible that there is quite a bit of generalising going on re Hawthorn fans, especially when trying to understand the
    "meaning" of their booing.
    I agree. I said in my earlier post that I wasn't sure Hawk fans are that socially aware. I think they're more like sheep.....some of their cohorts start booing for 'whatever' reason and they just tag along because they are stupid and as we know, naturally aggressive....it also confuses me because a lot of Hawthorn's demographic is dumb rich people so I would assume a lot would agree with Folau's dim witted view.

Veterans List
    Two former Swans make this weeks afl.com.au 'Team of the Round'....Membrey and Rohan. I'm not implying anything about our decision to let both go but we could use both of them right now. Membrey is more effective than Reid but I expect Reid to improve in the coming weeks after missing virtually an entire season.....and Rohan is kicking more goals and applying more forward pressure for Geelong than any of our forwards are for us at the moment....because he has been given a clearly defined role at Geelong and time to warm to it.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Two former Swans make this weeks afl.com.au 'Team of the Round'....Membrey and Rohan. I'm not implying anything about our decision to let both go but we could use both of them right now. Membrey is more effective than Reid but I expect Reid to improve in the coming weeks after missing virtually an entire season.....and Rohan is kicking more goals and applying more forward pressure for Geelong than any of our forwards are for us at the moment ... because he has been given a clearly defined role at Geelong and time to warm to it.
    The bleeding obvious I reckon. And why didn't we adopt the same approach?

As for the booing, the Folau comments indicate to me that this wunderkind has the build of a Samson, the speed of a natural sprinter, and the Biblical mastery of a ten-year old
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    The Hawks supporters were booing Ablett last year as well. As we all know from experience they don't need an excuse to boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    The Hawks supporters were booing Ablett last year as well. As we all know from experience they don't need an excuse to boo!
    I always enjoy a loss by the mustard on turd. Listening to their idiotic booing, is not likely to make me see them in a more positive light.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Ablett booing 'very different' to Goodes saga: AFL - AFL.com.au

And as mentioned in this article, Hawks fans booed Ablett in the 2008 Grand Final GF. Perhaps they were anticipating tweets he would make 11 years later?

And we should remember that, although they were the worst, Hawthorn supporters weren't the only ones who booed Goodesy. The picture of Goodesy being booed by Kangaroo supporters in a photo from the above article is sickening. If the AFL does something about the Ablett booing after sitting on their hands when Goodesy went through it EVERY WEEK, our club and it's supporters should scream about the injustice from the rooftops!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Ablett booing 'very different' to Goodes saga: AFL - AFL.com.au

And as mentioned in this article, Hawks fans booed Ablett in the 2008 Grand Final GF. Perhaps they were anticipating tweets he would make 11 years later?

And we should remember that, although they were the worst, Hawthorn supporters weren't the only ones who booed Goodesy. The picture of Goodesy being booed by Kangaroo supporters in a photo from the above article is sickening. If the AFL does something about the Ablett booing after sitting on their hands when Goodesy went through it EVERY WEEK, our club and it's supporters should scream about the injustice from the rooftops!
    From that linked article, I thought that this was an odd quote from Hocking: "The 2019 season's new rules, while not leading to higher scoring at this stage, had achieved the overall aim of "opening the game up" and had also contributed to the increase in upset results (23 games in the first five rounds were won by the outsider, an increase of six on results to this stage of recent seasons)".
    I think the phrase, 'correlation does not mean causation', certainly applies there.
    And I remember seeing a more extreme photo of some North supporters from that time. It was an area close to the boundary at Docklands. Some were leaning over the fence, thumping the hoardings and booing. A number of them looked hate-filled. I remember commenting at the time, that they probably thought they were making an important point, but only point that they were really demonstrating, was just how closely humans are related to chimps.

"Also contributed to the increase in upset results (23 games in the first five rounds were won by the outsider, an increase of six on results to this stage of recent seasons)".

While a even, competitive competition is a good thing, is this really something the AFL should be targeting in the longer term... I don't have a view one way or the other at this time, but just wonder if such an aim is particularly good for the game.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    "Also contributed to the increase in upset results (23 games in the first five rounds were won by the outsider, an increase of six on results to this stage of recent seasons)".

While a even, competitive competition is a good thing, is this really something the AFL should be targeting in the longer term... I don't have a view one way or the other at this time, but just wonder if such an aim is particularly good for the game.
    I doubt if it's ever been a target for the AFL. I suspect that once Hocking realised, that he wasn't able to claim that the new rule had increased scoring, he then noticed that there were more upsets and decided that, hey, this was a benefit of the new rules.
    Either that, or Barrett is just making crap up.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast