Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 5 Tigers v Swans Sat 20-Apr at Marvel Stadium #AFLTigersSwans @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Ludwig that's not completely bonkers against a side like Richmond. Not sure against a side with a dominant ruckman like Gawn, although having Sinkers didn't really help in the second half last week, did it? Aliir in the middle robs us in defence but offers more of that type of mobility. How tall is Blakey? Why not chuck him in there?
    Not playing a ruckman against a dominant ruckman makes even more sense. If you're going to lose the ruck contest anyway, why even bother competing. It's wasting a player in a losing contest. With the 6-6-6, you can get an extra few seconds with another ground level player after the tap. We should try to turn that to our advantage. Get the ball to ground and win it. Make Kennedy our ruckman. He's no pushover.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Macca, Reg and Smith are all injured. We might as well add KJ to that group of probable retirees and not play them the rest of the year.

Thurlow and Clarke were a bit better, maybe because the rest of the team came down to their level. We might as well leave them in and hope they improve. Thurlow can kick the ball, but needs to be more thoughtful. Clarke will never be a good kick, but if he can get the rest of his game to a high level, we might be able to live with it.

We need to get more movement in the team. Let's drop the ruckman. We're not winning the ruck contests anyway. Just play an extra midfielder to give us more advantage at ground level.

Rotate Kennedy, Parker and Hewett between on-ball, forward and tagger. We can leave Cunningham in defence and bring both Mills and Lloyd into the midfield. Aliir, McCartin, Thurlow, Rampe, COR and Harry to play back 6 without extra cover. We need to stop the ball before it even gets into defence. Let's try to score. If we get blown out, so what. We need to change the way we play.

We can drop Sinclair, Jack and Ronke next week and bring in COR, Stoddart and Rose (or perhaps Blakey).
    Agree re KJ (I think that was his last senior game) and on keeping Clarke and Thurlow.

I also think that rather than play McCartin we need another quick medium sized mid ala Fox or Rose. CO'R has earned a recall but I'm not sure who he would replace because the backline was OK last night. Later in the year I think Amartey will be pressing for selection over Reid if he doesn't improve. Wicks and Bell show some promise and might also be in the running later on if we continue to muck up.Ling will be in the side in about 4 weeks I think.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

I did go back and listen to his presser again. Just to be sure like.
    Webbos, my response reads with some ambiguity. Yes you are correct re presser and I am hoping Ralph Pup's run of never seeing swans loses to Lions continues. Need to stay off the Easter eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Webbos, my response reads with some ambiguity. Yes you are correct re presser and I am hoping Ralph Pup's run of never seeing swans loses to Lions continues. Need to stay off the Easter eggs!
    I hope Swans can turn it around by then too. Pretty nervous about this week's trip to the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Jake Lloyd
    700m gained
    38 Possessions
    20 Kicks down the line
    0 marked
    10 kicks questionably 15m
    0 Lines broken
    0 Players put into space

Put him on the wing and let him run like Gaff he is having 0 influence
    I agree - let Dawson play his role - distributes the ball far better

Warming the Bench
    Swans were terrible last night. I didn’t expect to win and 23 points is no thrashing but it’s the way we lost that is the problem. Our players were so static- no one was moving into space. The opposition only has 18 players on the field so there is lots of open space.
    Rowbotham looks a keeper - I hope he gets a few games. Dawson was pretty good - very good kicking skills.

If we can’t play with a bit more confidence then 2019 is a write off. The 2 year trade ban is really biting now; our senior player are injured or clapped out. KJ was terrible last night - that kick for goal that went OOB indicative where he is at.
    Mike SchnitzPatrick is sitting on his chesterfield lounge in his Toorak mansion with a smug grin on his face. Finally, he has managed to bring the Swans down a peg or 2. Those upstarts from South Melbourne back where they belong - down the bottom of the ladder.
    Well; at least we beat Carlton.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Not much mention of this, but Mills is not the player we expected him to be.

Yes he was injured last year, yes he is brave and yes he is possibly played out of position, however he is barely going.

This is a guy who was meant to be a 'gun' and was one of the players we wanted to keep over Mitchell.

A lot of heat needs to be put on Mills to stand up and go from a completely average player to something half decent.
    Yes, Mills will rue the day he clowned around with a rugby ball. Seems he is unable to capture his stellar form since.

Veterans List
    On the Channel 9 Footy Show this morning they showed a couple of clips when we went to Buddy who was manned up/double or triple teamed. In both clips Swans players were running free down the guts at the 50 metre line calling for the ball. In one, Florent kicked the ball right over Buddy's head, when it should have hit him flush on the chest. If he had any vision he only needed to chip it sideways to one of 2 players. Then again it probably would have gone over their heads.

Robbos take on the Swans in this weeks tackle:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/the-tackle-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-5/news-story/e38dd0b2b4a04b511fdde8d4a6838830

4. The Swans

YOU can lose pretty and you can lose ugly. The Swan were dog ugly against Richmond on Saturday night. They took 122 marks, so Richmond either applied the greatest pressure and defensive set-up we’ve seen this year or the Swans’ strategy was slow and controlled. Sydney’s era is over. Premiership player Jude Bolton said turnovers were crippling Sydney’s ball flow, there were handballs to teammates under pressure, and the team folded in the arm wrestle. He’s not wrong. Thank-you Swans for 15 years of willing football. We await the next wave.

Ralph Dawg all those comments from Horse were in our front third / going inside 50 (and he made similar comments after last week's game), that we weren't entering deep enough and they were rebounding from their defence and scoring. He referencing turning the ball over in "that" 40-70m range (from our goal). I didn't hear anything about how we moved the ball out of defence.

He also said we'd been good in the past at getting the mix of youth and experience right to remain competitive whilst blooding a ton of young players, which is true. That implies we are likely to see less youth and more experience in the side.
    There isn't much to be taken out of a Longmire press conference after a loss - typically bemoans the area we performed poorly in, of which there has been a long, alternating list in recent times (poor pressure, were smashed around the ball, turnovers etc etc). To me it always comes across with a tone of 'I don't know why, I had a vision of what they should have done but the players just f'd up'. That was tolerable when we won consistently and poor performances were the exception - but there's only so long that a tradie can blame his tools before questioning his methods or the suitability of the assets/tools he's using. Or call out that we are learning / rebuilding and that we have to accept inconsistencies and some poor performances.

I was puzzled by his 'front third' comments - if he's talking about the area ~0-60m from goal, it is completely vacant for the majority of each game. Only when we get any sort of consistent ball movement from defence and/or lock the ball in the forward line do we have any presence of personnel in that part of the ground. So to be breaking down entering that part of the ground as we rely solely on the slingshot from deep in defence would to me seem to be expected, rather than a shock or disappointment.

Our i50 numbers are consistently low as well, so it's a real double-whammy - not getting the ball into that area as often as needed, but when we do it is a long kick generally not to our advantage.

If he meant 'our front third' which the way we set up is technically the area about 60m from the opposition goal, that is actually where most of the problems lie - the opposition still have players there applying pressure and not allowing an easy exit, but generally also more players than us between there and our goal, so we have nothing to go to.

He was asked repeat questions about a change of style, turning the season around etc - the first answer was along the lines of 'we did it before (2017) so we can again', but when pressed further (that it is a different side now, that the ability to turn it around is more difficult) he pretty much agreed with that with a sense of resignation.
    Last edited by Steve; 22nd April 2019 at 01:21 PM.

Robbos take on the Swans in this weeks tackle:

Category: | Herald Sun

4. The Swans

YOU can lose pretty and you can lose ugly. The Swan were dog ugly against Richmond on Saturday night. They took 122 marks, so Richmond either applied the greatest pressure and defensive set-up we’ve seen this year or the Swans’ strategy was slow and controlled.
    Robbo is an idiot, certainly not a football analyst, but the truth in his comments is that when you try and play a way you are not suited to or capable of pulling off, it will end badly.

In one respect, credit to Longmire for trying something different and employing tactics that have worked for other teams against Richmond - I much prefer that than the alternative we've been seeing previously where we stubbornly apply the same old plan and grind our way to competitive losses. However I would have much preferred him to say after the game "we tried something different, we didn't execute it that well under such pressure, but we need to have different strings to our bow so we'll keep working on it and get better at it".

The other option is to do what Richmond did at the end of 2016 and say 'what style of play suits the personnel we have' and base everything around that - rather than shoe-horn new and developing players into a style that worked previously but not any more.

I watched the game from a high spot in the ground and it was apparent from there that whenever we managed to come out of defense we faced a wall of Richmond players set up right across the middle of the field. There were few if any good options to kick to and the result was that we rarely had good entries and generally turned it over.

The only way to stop this it would seem is to play very quick players who line break or who are very precise passers of the ball. Regrettably, we have few of these types in our side at present. In recent seasons we have drafted several quick, skillful types but none of them have made a major impact to date. We desperately need players line Stoddard, Foote and Ling to come through if we are to arrest this deficiency.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk