Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R6 v GWS

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Underperforming this year, however.
    Generally been good and still developing. Shouldn't throw baby out with bath water

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    So here's a change for this week, should not have missed a senior game this year! Put him in and let him develop, has line breaking ability and reads the play well.

Sydney development coach Jeremy Laidler heaped praise on O’Riordan, the Irish Swan who last year made a long-awaited AFL debut to stun the footy world.

“Colin played in defence for three quarters of the game and I thought he was really strong down there. He beat his opponent and also supported his teammates – both in the air and on the ground,” Laidler told Swans Media.

“We then made a change at three-quarter time to put him in the midfield, and he was really hard and clean in there and made a big difference for us in winning the game.
    Food for thought. Another Irish player, Pearce Hanley, started back and has played well in midfield. Similar types of players.

I think Hewett has suffered from being left out of the thinking concerning midfield changes. I don't think he's out of form. Most of the concern has been where to play Mills, how much time forward and midfield do we play Heeney, do we play Jones on ball, should we play Clarke or not, and so forth and so on. No one thinks about what to do with Hewett, because he can play anywhere and do a decent job. You need players like that. He'll just do the job asked of him every week. Right now, it looks to be mostly a tagging role of some sort. It's a good role for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think Hewett has suffered from being left out of the thinking concerning midfield changes. I don't think he's out of form. Most of the concern has been where to play Mills, how much time forward and midfield do we play Heeney, do we play Jones on ball, should we play Clarke or not, and so forth and so on. No one thinks about what to do with Hewett, because he can play anywhere and do a decent job. You need players like that. He'll just do the job asked of him every week. Right now, it looks to be mostly a tagging role of some sort. It's a good role for him.
    I don't think its working.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't think he's having much impact with or without the ball at the moment. Small sample size, but compared to the last year he's down on disposals, marks, inside 50s, and clearances (the last three, significantly).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Generally been good and still developing. Shouldn't throw baby out with bath water
    Sorry, I don't think he's been good. Still a chance to develop, but on a plateau at best right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I don't think its working.
    That's because our whole team setup is still a work in progress and nothing is settled. We must have a lot of players under-performing, not just Hewett, else we wouldn't be 1 and 4. Horse is still shuffling the deck, and so far the best hand he's had is a pair of deuces. He was hoping for at least a pair of Jacks, but so far only 1 Jack, a Jake and a Jackson. If it were me, I'd just throw in the hand.

Last year George did a pretty good job on Lachie Whitfield. I wonder if he gets that assignment again. The Giants have a lot of players that need stopping.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    In: hitting a target
    Out: overusing the ball

I think the team balance is fine, changing the 20th, 21st and 22nd in the team won't make any significant difference.
    From what I have seen this year it is our skills letting us down, which may be a youth/inexperience thing. But we can have great chains up the field let down by an errant handball, a kick which is just too short or picks out the opposition. If you halved our errors for the year we would, i reckon, have another two wins on the board.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    For mine, it's
    OUT: Ronke, McCartin
    IN: Rose, COR

Rose has been tearing up the NEAFL and even he can hit at least the same numbers as Ronke at senior level at the moment. We gave him a one year contract, we need to at least give the chance to roll the dice and play for his career
    COR should never have been dropped. McCartin shouldn't be even named in defence - send him back and get him to work alongside Blakey in the twos. They both need to develop a bit and playing with one another will help them gel before we put the world on their shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    For mine, it's
    OUT: Ronke, McCartin
    IN: Rose, COR

Rose has been tearing up the NEAFL and even he can hit at least the same numbers as Ronke at senior level at the moment. We gave him a one year contract, we need to at least give the chance to roll the dice and play for his career
    COR should never have been dropped. McCartin shouldn't be even named in defence - send him back and get him to work alongside Blakey in the twos. They both need to develop a bit and playing with one another will help them gel before we put the world on their shoulders
    Agree with most of this......Though I can't find a reason to keep Jack in the side.

They may be playing McCartin in defence as part of his education as a forward, which seems to be standard practice for many young forwards.

But I agree, playing him alongside Blakey would be a fabulous opportunity for them to develop some synergy.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 23rd April 2019 at 05:12 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

We simply do not play the SCG well at the moment, and I think it is because we go in too tall.
    At night its a slippery mess, so we should be looking to reduce talls. McCartin out, and probably Rose in.
    Also the smaller ground should mean we wont be exposed for speed as much.

Normally I'd be concerned with our ruck, but I have a feeling Mumford may be rested, meaning we will go up against there second ruck (whose name escapes me). This will at least give Sinclair a chance. GWS dont have any tall marking forwards, and players like Cameron rely on the leads and manoeuvrability, so suit Rampe and Allir. No need to bring Reid back.

Tough game though, hard to see where next win is coming from.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    In: hitting a target
    Out: overusing the ball

I think the team balance is fine, changing the 20th, 21st and 22nd in the team won't make any significant difference.
    From what I have seen this year it is our skills letting us down, which may be a youth/inexperience thing. But we can have great chains up the field let down by an errant handball, a kick which is just too short or picks out the opposition. If you halved our errors for the year we would, i reckon, have another two wins on the board.
    Couldn't agree more.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    So here's a change for this week, should not have missed a senior game this year! Put him in and let him develop, has line breaking ability and reads the play well.

Sydney development coach Jeremy Laidler heaped praise on O’Riordan, the Irish Swan who last year made a long-awaited AFL debut to stun the footy world.

“Colin played in defence for three quarters of the game and I thought he was really strong down there. He beat his opponent and also supported his teammates – both in the air and on the ground,” Laidler told Swans Media.

“We then made a change at three-quarter time to put him in the midfield, and he was really hard and clean in there and made a big difference for us in winning the game.
    Like Dawson, I feel COR deserves an extended run in seniors to be given a chance to show whether he is up to it or not. As Dawson showed on Saturday night, I feel COR would benefit from a similar chance being provided.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast