Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R6 v GWS

Mills has never played an AFL game where he hasnt had to worry about a defender
    Put him in the middle and let others tag him best mid of the draft class
    Let Hewett get the ball
    Make Clarke tag
    Jack out
    Parker or Kennedy as a Fwd
    Cunningham on Whitfield
    Melican to relieve Rampe, Cameron Always kills Rampe
    Ried or Mccartin to stay deep
    Lloyd on Wing

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    For all those who think Mills is the messiah - he is not quick by foot and that is what we desperately need in the middle
    You may be right but he was a dominant inside midfielder as a kid yet hasn't been given a chance, not 1 chance, to prove himself in there at AFL level. And a 5 or 10 minute period in a game or 2 doesn't constitute a chance IMO.

This is the one thing that is really bothering me with our coaches/selectors. I really feel for Mills as I feel his poor form is probably sapping his confidence which is the last thing we need. We need the confident gun kid we drafted with pick 2 and that we favoured over signing Mitchell etc.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Let Hewett get the ball
    Make Clarke tag
    Jack out
    Cunningham on Whitfield
    Lloyd on Wing
    Absolutely agree with all of this!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Let Hewett get the ball
    Make Clarke tag
    Jack out
    Cunningham on Whitfield
    Lloyd on Wing
    Hate to sound like a broken record, but Melican, on what I saw looks well off the pace. Matthew Hammelman, the NEAFL Redlands FF easily best Melican on Saturday. Melican could not keep with him on the lead and in general looked a metre behind him for most the day. How he ended up on the best players list I'll never know. Unless he was saving some energy for Cameron, there could be a serious bag waiting for Jezza or Himmelberg if Melican is picked. Rampe on Cameron, Aliir on Himmelberg, Sinclair to fill the space. Better still, stop GWS coming out of defence and win the midfield battle.

My points with playing Melican are he has proven he can do it and it relieves Alir a bit and more importantly Rampe as a runner
    Look at the weekend Rampes is the best running defender by a country mile,can run and carry, can break lines and can hit a target

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I thought we should be patient with Ronke, but his time is up, as it is permanently, I suspect for Jack. I'm not convinced McCartin deserves his spot either ATM. And I liked seeing Dawson kicking from defense rather than Lloyd (I know it's been mentioned elsewhere).

OUT: Ronke, Jack, McCartin
    IN: Stoddart, Rose, Fox
    I agree with all those points, Mark. However, I doubt Longmire with replace McCartin with Rose, given his apparent opinion of those two players. Agree with the other two changes.

Let Hewett get the ball
    Make Clarke tag
    Jack out
    Cunningham on Whitfield
    Lloyd on Wing
    Love it. We shouldn't be playing to win or minimise our loss margins. We should be playing to prepare the team for the future. Mills was a great inside mid in his youth and it will take time for him to find his mojo again. Play him there and leave him there. Some with Rowbottom.

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    For all those who think Mills is the messiah - he is not quick by foot and that is what we desperately need in the middle
    Given the lack of pace of Kennedy, Parker and Hewett, it does makes sense to put quicker players in there. We are being beaten for speed. Longmire is right to emphasize the importance of Jones, Florent etc playing in the midfield.

But that only makes sense if Horse persists with playing all three of Hewett, Parker and Kennedy on the ball. I think he needs to change that too.

I don't think the Hewett experiment is working. He's too slow to hurt teams the other way. I think he needs to become a defensive forward or to the NEAFL. Kennedy has gone head to head with other key mids (Cripps and before that he did something similar v Adelaide). I wondered if Rowbottom's development would accelerate by using him in place of Hewett? I also think only one of Parker / Kennedy should be in the midfield at any one time. Let the other play forward and swap.

That would allow us to finally give Mills a run in the midfield. He's got both Thurlow and COR to replace him so I don't buy the "he's needed in defence" argument. Although I'm sure McVeigh's injury doesn't help. I worry that the club isn't prepared to move Parker / Hewett off the ball to make room for him. I really like what Geelong have done this year playing Danger, Ablett and Selwood forward and on the wing to give other players a run. We need to do the same.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Given the lack of pace of Kennedy, Parker and Hewett, it does makes sense to put quicker players in there. We are being beaten for speed. Longmire is right to emphasize the importance of Jones, Florent etc playing in the midfield.

But that only makes sense if Horse persists with playing all three of Hewett, Parker and Kennedy on the ball. I think he needs to change that too.

I don't think the Hewett experiment is working. He's too slow to hurt teams the other way. I think he needs to become a defensive forward or to the NEAFL. Kennedy has gone head to head with other key mids (Cripps and before that he did something similar v Adelaide). I wondered if Rowbottom's development would accelerate by using him in place of Hewett? I also think only one of Parker / Kennedy should be in the midfield at any one time. Let the other play forward and swap.

That would allow us to finally give Mills a run in the midfield. He's got both Thurlow and COR to replace him so I don't buy the "he's needed in defence" argument. Although I'm sure McVeigh's injury doesn't help. I worry that the club isn't prepared to move Parker / Hewett off the ball to make room for him. I really like what Geelong have done this year playing Danger, Ablett and Selwood forward and on the wing to give other players a run. We need to do the same.
    Hewitt was a useful and intelligent forward when he first played. Versatile footballer who still contributes in a number of ways.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Hewitt was a useful and intelligent forward when he first played. Versatile footballer who still contributes in a number of ways.
    Underperforming this year, however.

Wholesale changes of fringe players isn’t going to turn it around for us.

Some better ball use and some forwards getting into position would be nice.

Veterans List
    So here's a change for this week, should not have missed a senior game this year! Put him in and let him develop, has line breaking ability and reads the play well.

Sydney development coach Jeremy Laidler heaped praise on O’Riordan, the Irish Swan who last year made a long-awaited AFL debut to stun the footy world.

“Colin played in defence for three quarters of the game and I thought he was really strong down there. He beat his opponent and also supported his teammates – both in the air and on the ground,” Laidler told Swans Media.

“We then made a change at three-quarter time to put him in the midfield, and he was really hard and clean in there and made a big difference for us in winning the game.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast