Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Swans headed for the spoon in 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    North looked ordinary tonight, so maybe we can finish in front of North, Gold Coast and Carlton, not sure if we can beat anyone else. Herald Sun said in the paper that we are cooked, maybe they have got it right this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Gold Coast have played some pretty good footy, other than last week , so it’s fairly optimistic to being chalking that one up as a win. Likewise carlton, they should have beaten us in the first place and will likely take a lot of confidence out of their victory against the dogs. Can see them causing an upset against hawthorn this weekend. We might be better than North but they looked better than us tonight. I think realistically at this stage we are the worst side in it. We are easy to play against , we aren’t hard, we don’t score , we don’t chase or two way run. That might change by seasons end, I hope it does. Couldn’t see where we would be picking up any more than another 4-5 wins though. Even that looks a stretch at present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swans making history as the first team to tank for the mid-season draft

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Swans making history as the first team to tank for the mid-season draft
    Round 9 against LOLNorf down in Hhhhhobart to decide who gets the number one pick!

If we don't win tonight then I really want to see us use the rest of the year to get games into youngsters, starting with COR. Really worried our top heavy chosen side is going to get smashed.

Gets no easier next week, Brisbane at the Gabbatoir :-(

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Best footy brain and kick in the club! Although Dawson is on a par but can kick it 20 metres further.
    The link between his brain and his body was lost a while ago, and he may be a good luck if the criteria is under 35m, which is only good for the Toyo kick for cash and not much else.

Veterans List
    So how many more wins this year?

I just looked at the draw, IMO we are a chance against LOLNorf in Hobart, Hawks, Gold Coast at the SCG (surely lightning doesn't strike twice?) and Carlton at the SCG.

Can't see us beating anyone else and there's some scary games away too.

How few wins do we want.

Senior Player
    I honestly don't think we'll win the wooden spoon, we've got enough talent to chalk a few wins up over the course of the season

I'd be happy to write off this season as a development one, play the kids and get some elite talent at the top end of the draft, apparently the top 3 on ballers are special this year

The worst thing that could happen is for us to go on a winning run at the end of the season when we've already missed the finals, which is a real possibility. I don't believe we're as bad as our current position suggests

I think we will end up with 7 or 8 wins, roughly in 10-12th spot.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    That's a real possibility barry, but it would be good to avoid it!

I think the club's culture is that the best way to learn is to play in a winning or at least competitive side. So I think they'll keep playing some of the older players, rather than just playing kids. As a result, Barry may be right, we will probably not finish in the bottom 2 or 3. I don't think Horse is ruthless enough (unlike Ross Lyon) to do that.

I'm not sure what would be better for the development of our younger players? to lose almost every remaining game this year but have a top 2-3 draft pick. Or to win more games and finish around 12th.

There is also the matter of whether our performance on field this year impacts our ability to attract players via trade and free agency?

Surely we have to trust the club to know how to get this right?

On the Rookie List
    We'll win a few more and end up somewhere near the bottom and on the way get some games into the next generation of players. Hopefully Horse will show some faith and give them a good run. It is a very different team - for example Grundy, McVeigh and Smith not in defence, there's about 800 games worth of experience lost and we want Melican and Aliir to all of the sudden replace that. I think they will both be very good players but it will take time.
    One of things I am very interested to see of the remainder of the season is the evolution is Longmire's coaching. He had had a fairly stable core of players who put in a consistent effort week in week out. That core has been reduced and the players replacing them have far less experience and a different skill set, so trying to play the same way is pointless. I am hopeful that he will be able to find a way to play to the team's individual and collective strengths. If he can we might be pleasantly surprised at some of the footy that gets played.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Tell us which 6 or 7 more games we could win Barry. Brisbane at the Gabba, Essendon, Collingwood, Cats twice, WCE, Freo in Perth, GWS, Port in Adelaide, Dees at the G, none of those IMO.

Now we're at the bottom, best to develop kids and stay bottom three to pick up a gun mid. Please Mr.Horse, no late season flurry of wins for a mid table finish, put out players early for end of season surgeries, play kids, it's what the smart teams do.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast