Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Swans headed for the spoon in 2019?

Regular in the Side

Are the Swans headed for the spoon in 2019?

It’s been a very long time, more than a quarter of century. I am really concern that this season the Swans not only miss the finals for only the 4th time in 24 years, but they actually take the wooden spoon.

Veterans List
    Will not happen....where's your faith? We're pretty bad at the moment but the wooden spoon is out of the question....and as I said on another thread, tanking is not in the Swans DNA.

Let's be real here, while I still hold a bit hope that we can turn things around (again!), realistically we look pretty ordinary and don't really see where much of the drastic improvement required will come from!

We struggle to score more than 60 points week in, week out and our skills are absolutely shocking almost across the board!

Seriously, If anyone saw Carlton play yesterday, I honestly don't think we would have got anywhere near them if they played that way 2 weeks ago. They have some highly skilled kids and a future brownlow medalist who can get it to them regularly from clearances. They will win more games going forward.

I absolutely agree that we will never tank but have serious concerns about our drop off this year...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    I saw the highlights from the Carlton/Dogs game and agree that if the Blues had played like that against us, they probably would have smashed us.....but I believe that we will improve. However, Horse has to be creative and bold, as do the team. Are we up for it? Jury is out on that. A lot of our problems stem from not only the coaches box but from between the players ears at the moment....

Roosey where are you? We need you back.....
    Last edited by stevoswan; 22nd April 2019 at 03:38 PM.

It's worrying times for us. Back in 2017 when we were 0-6, I always held out hope we would turn things around. We had some significant injuries. I had faith that JPK and Parker could turn it around for us by winning contested ball. Our star players, the ones who had taken us to the 2016 GF were a couple of years younger than they are now (most of them now are being ear marked for pensioning out at the end of the season). None of these things apply this year. In particular, I have little faith that JPK and Parker can pull us out of this predicament. They are getting overwhelmed by the opposition mids who know that by targeting then, they shut us down. The next tier of midfielders have not come through to support the old warriors. Our skills are as bad as I have ever witnessed in 30+ years of following the Swans. And last but not least, there does not seem to be that famed "Bloods" passion to arrest this slide. Players just dropping off tackles, not protecting their mates (where's the shepherding, physical stuff, Buddy just gets scragged week in, week out, out numbered and no one helps him). No one seems to have drawn a line in the sand. It's sad to watch. Will we win the spoon? Hope not but wouldn't be surprised.

Veterans List
    We are the worst performing side at present bar none, spoon could be a possibility which I'd have thought impossible before the season. Scores week in week out in the 60s doesn't cut the mustard in the modern game, unless we can find another 3-4 goals we're toast.

Maybe it's time to stop this obsession with restricting the opposition, get Mills into the midfield, wasn't that where he trained all summer only to end up in defence yet again. Back in COR, he may just need a good run in the seniors (like Dawson finally has, 18 months too late!) to develop some confidence. Not sure Clarke or Thurlow are any more than trundlers, they shouldn't keep out younger players who are showing NEAFL form. I'm ok with a lowly finish if we've got game time into kids. Just do something!!

Wow. I was very surprised in the preseason when people were talking about us being certain to play finals, and I'm equally surprised that people are talking about us winning the wooden spoon.

We definitely have problems, but we aren't a rabble and there is a lot of talent in the side.

We'll probably finish around the 12-15 mark, but I would be very surprised if we won the spoon.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    It's worrying times for us. Back in 2017 when we were 0-6, I always held out hope we would turn things around. We had some significant injuries. None of these things apply this year.
    What team do you follow?

When fit, McVeigh, Smith, Grundy, Haywood, Naismith and Menzel all go straight into our starting 18. That's a third of our team. Check out the other clubs' injuries. The odd senior player but mostly no-names.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Seriously, If anyone saw Carlton play yesterday, I honestly don't think we would have got anywhere near them if they played that way 2 weeks ago.
    We played them two weeks ago and we beat them easily. End of argument.

Round 1: Didn't turn up until half and still should have won.
    Round 2: Absolutely castrated by the umps and were still in a winning position in the last quarter.
    Round 3: Beat Carlton on their home deck.
    Round 4: Should have been 6 goals up at half time and it would have been all over red rover.
    Round 5: Creamed by Richmond early to be six goals down but still had a sniff at the end.

We are no wooden spoon side, that's for sure.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    What team do you follow?

When fit, McVeigh, Smith, Grundy, Haywood, Naismith and Menzel all go straight into our starting 18. That's a third of our team. Check out the other clubs' injuries. The odd senior player but mostly no-names.
    Assuming full fitness and ability to return to form, I would only consider Smith as a lock in for starting 18. He would make a big difference to all those goals being kicked against us from the forward pocket. The others listed in my opinion are not necessarily the lock ins you would suggest. McVeigh and Grundy in their prime yes but both are in the twilight of their respective brilliant careers. Haywood drifts in and out of games, typical of a young player yet to reach full potential. Naismith is built if straw, liable to snap sonething. Plus he is slow and immobile. Menzel can be a goal scorer but again is injury prone and released from cats due to poor forward pressure, something that we are already deficient in.
    I know I sound negative and I'm sorry that I sound like a non supporter. However, I love the Swans, hope they can turn it around in 2019 and if they do, more than happy for you to remind me of my doomsday post (s)!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Assuming full fitness and ability to return to form, I would only consider Smith as a lock in for starting 18. He would make a big difference to all those goals being kicked against us from the forward pocket. The others listed in my opinion are not necessarily the lock ins you would suggest. McVeigh and Grundy in their prime yes but both are in the twilight of their respective brilliant careers. Haywood drifts in and out of games, typical of a young player yet to reach full potential. Naismith is built if straw, liable to snap sonething. Plus he is slow and immobile. Menzel can be a goal scorer but again is injury prone and released from cats due to poor forward pressure, something that we are already deficient in.
    I know I sound negative and I'm sorry that I sound like a non supporter. However, I love the Swans, hope they can turn it around in 2019 and if they do, more than happy for you to remind me of my doomsday post (s)!
    Suggesting McVeigh is not in best 22 is laughable. Know it is likely his last year, but is still in our top 6 players.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Suggesting McVeigh is not in best 22 is laughable. Know it is likely his last year, but is still in our top 6 players.
    I agree that he's in our best 22. Brings so much to the team. Just not a walk up start into our starting 18 as was suggested.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast