Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 6 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    amazing about all the who ha with booing, nothing said when buddy gets it, and have they forgotten adam G
    Richard Hinds:

‘But if a ban on booers seems as unlikely as a balanced fixture, the AFL's overreaction did raise a couple of obvious questions.’

‘Where was this swift and firm-handed action when Adam Goodes was jeered for reasons that were, in my opinion, far more vile, premeditated and harmful than the pantomime villainy endured by Ablett?’

‘Actually, this is a rhetorical question because we now know that some of the AFL's most senior officials were tone-deaf to the racially motivated nature of Goodes' vilification and only realised their mistake in failing to defend one of the game's greatest servants and role models after he had been effectively booed out of the game.’

Scott Pendlebury, Gary Ablett jeers prompt possible AFL 'Boo Ban', but would it make a difference to fans? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Well put.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Richard Hinds:

‘But if a ban on booers seems as unlikely as a balanced fixture, the AFL's overreaction did raise a couple of obvious questions.’

‘Where was this swift and firm-handed action when Adam Goodes was jeered for reasons that were, in my opinion, far more vile, premeditated and harmful than the pantomime villainy endured by Ablett?’

‘Actually, this is a rhetorical question because we now know that some of the AFL's most senior officials were tone-deaf to the racially motivated nature of Goodes' vilification and only realised their mistake in failing to defend one of the game's greatest servants and role models after he had been effectively booed out of the game.’

Scott Pendlebury, Gary Ablett jeers prompt possible AFL 'Boo Ban', but would it make a difference to fans? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Thanks Meg - excellent article.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Thanks Meg - excellent article.
    The Essendon fans were booing because of the umpiring. Buckley very sanctimonious. That sort of feral behaviour has been going on for years. If the Swans are playing Essendon, Richmond or Collingwood at marvel stadium, I won't go. Only go if those games are at the MCG where you can spread out a bit and sit with red and white fans. Had a couple of ordinary experiences at marvel, mainly Bomber fans.

+1 Great article. Thanks!

I'm chuckling listening to all the bomber supporters ringing up saying the post game booing during the ANZAC medal presentation, was due to a couple of bad late umpiring decisions which may've cost them the game. Boo Hoo!!! That was just a home and away game. Heaven help them if they ever make a GF and cop the level of one sided biased umpiring like we did in 2016!!!!! (Which will never happen to a Melb based team anyway). Yesterday's umpiring wasn't even nowhere near the spanking we got from the men in green in our home game against the Crows! The worst this year to date by a big margin as stated by one Dermot Brereton.

P.S. I also don't recall any booing from Swans supporters during the Dogs premiership medals / cup presentation.
    Last edited by KSAS; 26th April 2019 at 05:01 PM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Richard Hinds:

‘Actually, this is a rhetorical question because we now know that some of the AFL's most senior officials were tone-deaf to the racially motivated nature of Goodes' vilification and only realised their mistake in failing to defend one of the game's greatest servants and role models after he had been effectively booed out of the game.’]
    Thanks for posting Meg. Absolutely spot on!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Damian Barrett often gets a bad rap on this forum - often deservedly so - but this is good.

Barrett: Many forms of booing but Essendon's was 'pathetic and selfish' - AFL.com.au

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Richard Hinds:

Richard Hinds is one of the good guys in the footy media. Said it beautifully.....

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Had a couple of ordinary experiences at marvel, mainly Bomber fans.
    That was my experience last year - turned me right off them. I did’t think the Tigers were so bad last year or this (in comparison). As a collective, I think the Bombers fans have a huge chip on their shoulder following their demise as an on-field powerhouse club (which in reality happened much earlier than the drugs scandal).

The Hawks were like that just prior to, and immediately after, the thwarted merger with Melbourne. Overtly and unnecessarily aggressive.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post

The Hawks were like that just prior to, and immediately after, the thwarted merger with Melbourne. Overtly and unnecessarily aggressive.
    Hawks fans remain my most despised. Not all of them - I used to work with three Hawthorn supporters and two of them were pretty nice (and one was especially gracious immediately after the 2012 GF). But as a group, they seem to contain a high proportion of smug, self-entitled . And miserable too. I don't understand a supporter base that expends more energy on jeering the opposition than cheering their own side.

They just marginally shade out North supporters, in my book (though it's a very close run thing).

Veterans List
    I have the same view as Richard Hinds. All day I have been hearing about the outrage over the Pendlebury booing and the Ablett booing and I kept thinking where was this outrage when Goodes was being booed every single game, every time he touched the ball. I guess it's better late than never but it still makes me mad.

I don't buy the excuse that the booing was because of the umpires. The booing got louder when Pendlebury thanked the crowd.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast