Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 6 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I have the same view as Richard Hinds. All day I have been hearing about the outrage over the Pendlebury booing and the Ablett booing and I kept thinking where was this outrage when Goodes was being booed every single game, every time he touched the ball. I guess it's better late than never but it still makes me mad.

I don't buy the excuse that the booing was because of the umpires. The booing got louder when Pendlebury thanked the crowd.
    Pendlebury was a recipient of a Pretty dubious free kick in the last. The bombers fans were irate at the ground, it was 100% to do with the umpiring from my perspective in the stands . They were expressing their fury at a perceived injustice. Pendlebury copped it as he received some of those dubious free’s that weren’t paid the other way. I’m not excusing it but this is my take of it being there amongst some pretty feral bombers fans. It had been building up all day and that was the ugly crescendo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the crowd were booing Ablett to express their dislike of his liking a homophobic tweet, I think that's fair enough. He has the right to like the tweet and they have the right to dislike his liking...

Ditto if the crowd were booing Pendlebury because they were unhappy with the umpiring decisions he got. I think they should be allowed to cheer stuff they like and boo stuff they don't, although cheering looks nicer.

If the AFL was a principled organisation it would defend fans right to boo under these circumstances, just as it should have stopped Adam Goodes being booed out of the game by a bunch of racists. But the AFL hasn't got a principled bone in its body ... all it cares about is the "image" of the game to the extent it impacts on "stakeholders" i.e. broadcasters, sponsors and fans.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    If the crowd were booing Ablett to express their dislike of his liking a homophobic tweet, I think that's fair enough. He has the right to like the tweet and they have the right to dislike his liking...

Ditto if the crowd were booing Pendlebury because they were unhappy with the umpiring decisions he got. I think they should be allowed to cheer stuff they like and boo stuff they don't, although cheering looks nicer.

If the AFL was a principled organisation it would defend fans right to boo under these circumstances, just as it should have stopped Adam Goodes being booed out of the game by a bunch of racists. But the AFL hasn't got a principled bone in its body ... all it cares about is the "image" of the game to the extent it impacts on "stakeholders" i.e. broadcasters, sponsors and fans.
    Good post MW....esp. the last bit about the 'stakeholders'.....of course, most of whom are in Victoria.

Veterans List
    Tonight's game.....is their a yawn emoji?

If we don't beat North.....well, I can't even contemplate it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Tonight's game.....is their a yawn emoji?

If we don't beat North.....well, I can't even contemplate it.
    Umpiring putrid and inconsistent. Holding the ball rule never been more confusing. Let it go and then pay one out of nowhere. Same with defenders wrestling.Never been worse.

If I want to boo at the footy I will (although I don't)
    Booing to express disgust with Gary Ablett's 'liking' of homophobic rants seems reasonable but i wouldn't
    Booing a man because is a proud indigenous Australian is ugly and racist and what happened fills me with shame
    Booing Collingwood players has been going on for literally a 100 years. Should be more of it.
    Booing umpires the same, although I feel for them. How they can correctly officiate the constantly changing subjective rules on part time wages is beyond me
    Where does it start and where does it still stop. Suggest the AFL leaves booing alone and instead addresses the reasons why people boo, including doing something about Collingwood.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    If you started booing when Scott Pendlebury began speaking to express your disapproval of the performance of a different set of people who left the playing arena 5 minutes earlier, it shows that you are a rather stupid and confused person.

If you started booing when Scott Pendlebury began speaking to accept the Anzac Day Medal as part of footy's Anzac Day commemorations, whether to express your disapproval of either him or the performance of a different set of people who left the playing arena 5 minutes earlier, it shows you are a rather rude and discourteous person who has no sense of perspective and is missing the point of the event.

If you started booing when Scott Pendlebury began speaking to express your view that he got a free kick your team didn't, it shows that you have either forgotten or are simply choosing to ignore the fact that the only reason your team was a late chance at all is because of being gifted a goal by the umpires - that holding free to Mark Baguely a few minutes earlier was a truly awful decision which simply should not have been paid. Without that the Bombers didn't have a sniff.

So overall, my view of any of the boo-ers, whatever their professed motivation, is that they are most likely a stupid, confused, rude person, with no sense of perspective and the intellect of a tropical fish (and, like said fish, probably can be found wandering around with a string of poop hanging out of them because they forgot what they were doing half way through).
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Veterans List
    Geelong doing it comfortably against the Eagles at home. Rohan 6 kicks, 4 marks and 3 goals in the first quarter.....he is realising his potential at his new club.

Carlton were doing it easy against the Hawks but the third quarter saw Hawthorn hit back. They hit the front early in the last but Carlton have just retaken the lead. Go Blues, even if it means they jump over us on the ladder.

Blues just kicked another....8 pts up, 20 odd minutes left.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 28th April 2019 at 06:35 PM.

Rohan's kicked 4 again

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Rohan's kicked 4 again
    Good luck to him. Swans and him needed a change.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Good luck to him. Swans and him needed a change.
    Yes. But I think it is relevant that Rohan's confidence was completely shot when he left us and that a number of our current players are also lacking confidence. Why is that?

I think it's also worth noting that Rohan was played in a number of different positions at the Swans and didn't get a run at the position that seemed to best suit him - high marking full forward leading out of the goal square. That was also kind of odd.

Senior Player
    A couple of things. Probably felt the pressure of paying us back for nursing him through as he recovered from horrific leg injury. Also, the couple of shockers he had in the two grand finals probably put even more pressure on him. Weight of expectations can be very onerous. No baggage at Geelong so a lot more relaxed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast