Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep politics out of footy

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The money is already committed by the sitting government. It's not an election pledge - "you get it if we win". In that context I think it is cunning by the government to wrap it up in the election campaign, but it would have been foolish by the club to reject the funding, and maybe churlish to refuse to make a public announcement that the funding had been secured.

Yes, I'd much prefer they hadn't participated in an announcement wrapped up as a campaign event. But accepting the committed funds now, doesn't mean they are endorsing either the Liberal Party or the local Liberal Party candidate (Sharma).
    That's implying a trade off that never existed. Of course they should accept the funding but it wasn't contingent on a joint announcement with the liberal party during an election campaign.

Simply, the right thing to do was to accept the funding and not appear to be partisan. It's not that hard to tell a politician to stay clear when the need to do so is so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Simply, the right thing to do was to accept the funding and not appear to be partisan.
    Why didn’t they do that?

Veteran Site Admin
    That's implying a trade off that never existed. Of course they should accept the funding but it wasn't contingent on a joint announcement with the liberal party during an election campaign.

Simply, the right thing to do was to accept the funding and not appear to be partisan. It's not that hard to tell a politician to stay clear when the need to do so is so obvious.

For the Swans it's a "good news" story at a time when they need good news stories - ie because the team isn't travelling so well onfield. I'm not so convinced as you are that it's easy to tell politicians to get stuffed. Not during an election campaign that seems to be being fought (by both parties) not on major issues and values but cash splash promises to emotionally charged targets.

If this had been an election pledge, I'd 100% agree with you. Since it's committed funding that just happens to have been committed during an election campaign, I'm 75% with you (but prepared to cut the club a little slack).

On the veteran's list
    The libs did the same with a kindergarten in SA. Georgie Downer presented a government cheque when she was a failed candidate at the last election in that electorate.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    For the Swans it's a "good news" story at a time when they need good news stories - ie because the team isn't travelling so well onfield. I'm not so convinced as you are that it's easy to tell politicians to get stuffed. Not during an election campaign that seems to be being fought (by both parties) not on major issues and values but cash splash promises to emotionally charged targets.

If this had been an election pledge, I'd 100% agree with you. Since it's committed funding that just happens to have been committed during an election campaign, I'm 75% with you (but prepared to cut the club a little slack).
    So, after accepting the money, the Swans should have insisted that one of the many people in the photo should be sidelined? That's not how it works and is hardly an endorsement on behalf of the club. Sneaky effort by Frydenberg and Sharma but Swans hardly colluding with them. Used up by the Liberals but realistically powerless.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    So, after accepting the money, the Swans should have insisted that one of the many people in the photo should be sidelined? That's not how it works and is hardly an endorsement on behalf of the club. Sneaky effort by Frydenberg and Sharma but Swans hardly colluding with them. Used up by the Liberals but realistically powerless.
    I'd agree with you if Dave Sharma was the local MP. He isn't - he is a Liberal party candidate. Its now blatently political and the swans by participating have been implied as being partisan. That isn't cool in my book.

Either the Swans were not informed he was in attendance or they agreed to it. I suspect the latter given how these events are scheduled and choreographed in advance. If so, they should have advised his presence was not required / appropriate.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Didn't Gladys give them $30M last year?
    That's $45M of taxpayer's money - is that really fair or right when kids are sitting in demountables with no air conditioning, when there are hospital waiting lists?
    Shouldn't this money be coming from the AFL or be subsidised by clubs who have poker machines?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side
    Wasn't impressed by this at all. I don't think most supporters, irrespective of their political views, want the club giving de facto endorsement to a candidate during a federal campaign. Note this thread isn't a political forum!

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-elect...25-p51h3n.html
    I think it’s proper to declare myself a Labor supporter.

This is tacky, very tacky. If you live in Wentworth, even if you’re a hard core Liberal voter, this occasion should persuade you surely not to vote for Mr Sharma. Using our beloved Club to buy votes. Disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    I think it’s proper to declare myself a Labor supporter.

This is tacky, very tacky. If you live in Wentworth, even if you’re a hard core Liberal voter, this occasion should persuade you surely not to vote for Mr Sharma. Using our beloved Club to buy votes. Disgusting!
    Also declaring myself a left-learning voter, I offer the following.

A fortnight ago I received a notification from the manager of my daughter's U12 team, asking us to bring our daughters to training early for a photo opportunity with Trent Zimmerman.

There was no reference to his being the sitting Liberal member for North Sydney, although the notification also explained that we would be asked to sign a release to allow the use of any photograph for an unstated purpose.

I wrote back, not rudely, but directly, suggesting both that Mr Zimmerman's role and party membership should have been explicit in the correspondence with us, and that my daughter would not be available for the purposes of producing campaign collateral. Zimmerman is not a bad person himself, and is certainly on the more progressive side of the ledger, but I have a big problem with my daughter and her teammates being enrolled in the support of a party which, as far as I'm concerned, is actively and recklessly betraying their futures.

At the same time, if the request, with full disclosure, had been made at another point in the electoral cycle, I would have been more open to it, understanding that local members have the right and, perhaps, obligation to inform their voters about what they have been doing (and the re-opening of the Gore Hill ground, notwithstanding the comments on another thread, is a good news story). Or perhaps I would have let her be photographed, but not signed the release . . .

Senior Player
    I'd agree with you if Dave Sharma was the local MP. He isn't - he is a Liberal party candidate. Its now blatently political and the swans by participating have been implied as being partisan. That isn't cool in my book.

Either the Swans were not informed he was in attendance or they agreed to it. I suspect the latter given how these events are scheduled and choreographed in advance. If so, they should have advised his presence was not required / appropriate.
    Easy after the event and would be reluctant to bite the hand that feeds you. Typical liberal party dodginess( labor not immune) but people are over reacting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post

A fortnight ago I received a notification from the manager of my daughter's U12 team, asking us to bring our daughters to training early for a photo opportunity with Trent Zimmerman.

There was no reference to his being the sitting Liberal member for North Sydney, although the notification also explained that we would be asked to sign a release to allow the use of any photograph for an unstated purpose.

I wrote back, not rudely, but directly, suggesting both that Mr Zimmerman's role and party membership should have been explicit in the correspondence with us, and that my daughter would not be available for the purposes of producing campaign collateral. Zimmerman is not a bad person himself, and is certainly on the more progressive side of the ledger, but I have a big problem with my daughter and her teammates being enrolled in the support of a party which, as far as I'm concerned, is actively and recklessly betraying their futures.

At the same time, if the request, with full disclosure, had been made at another point in the electoral cycle, I would have been more open to it, understanding that local members have the right and, perhaps, obligation to inform their voters about what they have been doing (and the re-opening of the Gore Hill ground, notwithstanding the comments on another thread, is a good news story). Or perhaps I would have let her be photographed, but not signed the release . . .
    Good work by you but millions of dollars in grant not involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post

Good work by you but millions of dollars in grant not involved.

Is it really going to change the way you vote?

Veterans List
    I wasn't impressed....to me, just appearing with them is tacit endorsement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast