Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keep politics out of footy

Veterans List
    Governments providing money to sporting clubs is nothing new. Gillard gave money to the bulldogs for the Whitten Oval redevelopment and the Vic government gave money to Geelong for Kardinia Park. So I have no issue with accepting government money.

What I don't like is that Sharma was included in the announcement when he isn't the sitting member. It's not a good look. He wanted the publicity to gain votes.

Firstly, why it this thread here? It belongs in the open discussion area being a political thread.
    Secondly, its so funny reading the hypocritical comments from all the pissed off Labor/Greens voters. Keep politics out of footy? Are you serious? The club has been positioning itself right in the middle of political differences of opinion for years. Gay marriage, etc, etc. Where was your outrage then? I'll bet that have the state Labor party done this prior to the state election that you wouldn't have given a toss. You can't eat your cake and have it too.
    Thirdly, at least the Liberals haven't used the money as a bribe. The money goes to the project regardless of who wins the election.
    Finally, the club will do whatever is needed for financial gain. Just look at their relationship with Qatar Airways which is owned by the Qatar Government which enforces Sharia Law. Where is you outrage about this?
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 26th April 2019 at 08:51 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Firstly, why it this thread here? It belongs in the open discussion area being a political thread.
    Because it's a discussion about the club aligning itself with the election campaign (or an opinion that it could be perceived to be so doing), not about personal political values. Hence it is relevant to Swans Chat.

I don't think anyone in the thread has yet made any comment pertaining to their own political leanings, apart from the role of the club in being seen to support one party or the other. As soon as it changes tack, it may get moved (or off topic posts just deleted).

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Secondly, its so funny reading the hypocritical comments from all the pissed off Labor/Greens voters. Keep politics out of footy? Are you serious? The club has been positioning itself right in the middle of political differences of opinion for years. Gay marriage, etc, etc. Where was your outrage then? I'll bet that have the state Labor party done this prior to the state election that you wouldn't have given a toss. You can't eat your cake and have it too.
    Thirdly, at least the Liberals haven't used the money as a bribe. The money goes to the project regardless of who wins the election.
    Finally, the club will do whatever is needed for financial gain. Just look at their relationship with Qatar Airways which is owned by the Qatar Government which enforces Sharia Law. Where is you outrage about this?
    I fail to see how taking a position on a social issue, albeit one that unfortunately was used to fuel partisan politics, such as equal marriage rights is even close to posing with political candidates in the run up to an election.

It is unfortunate- I can appreciate the club wanting to secure funding, but someone should have been on top of this to make sure it didn't become a stunt. Sharma is a candidate only, there was no need for him to be there (short of a bit of election publicity).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Hi SSB

I did write to the club about it's trip to Qatar. Saying in part: "... for the Swans to visit Qatar and endorse facilities built on the back of the enslavement and deaths of migrant workers is a step too far for me. And I quoted an article which said, 'If we were to hold a minute of silence for every estimated death of a migrant worker due to the constructions of the Qatar World Cup, the first 44 matches of the tournament would be played in silence.'..."

to which the club replied, in part: "The recent trip to Doha provided access to the world’s best facilities, sports science and rehabilitation practices via Aspire Academy and Aspetar which is the primary reason the Swans’ coaches, players and key medical staff travelled to Qatar. In regards to our partnership with Qatar Airways, our alignment is that we both want to provide premium experiences for our customers. The Sydney Swans has its own values and as such we would never let another organisation or sponsor dictate these values." (emphasis added)

You are right that defending gay rights, is a political act. But it's not a party political one, during an election campaign, which might affect the outcome.

So is all the Anzackery that's about to descend on the SCG tonight. Not a fan of the militarisation of football, but there you go.

I'm tempted to write to the club re: Sharmagate.

Regular in the Side
    The big difference here is this is pure 100% PARTY politics set out in the middle of an election campaign that is directly using the SYDNEY Swans Football Club. And semantics aside, it is relevant to this thread.

I repeat my earlier declaration: I am a Labor supporter.

It wouldn't be a thread with anything to do with politics on RWO without SSB throwing out 'you lefties'/labor green voters' sort of dribble....

Only 2 people have said anything about their 'political views' at all on this thread. I would think most views expressed would be held irrespective of which side of politics was the one doing the jockeying in this case....

"I'll bet that have the state Labor party done this prior to the state election that you wouldn't have given a toss. You can't eat your cake and have it too."

Well they didn't, so how do you know - perfect grandstand postulation right there. Someone disagrees with your world view, so they must be an xyz and believe in abc as a result...
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

And the political stouch here is between liberal (sharma) and a centerist independent (Phelps).
    No labour or greens in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    It wouldn't be a thread with anything to do with politics on RWO without SSB throwing out 'you lefties'/labor green voters' sort of dribble....

Only 2 people have said anything about their 'political views' at all on this thread. I would think most views expressed would be held irrespective of which side of politics was the one doing the jockeying in this case....

"I'll bet that have the state Labor party done this prior to the state election that you wouldn't have given a toss. You can't eat your cake and have it too."

Well they didn't, so how do you know - perfect grandstand postulation right there. Someone disagrees with your world view, so they must be an xyz and believe in abc as a result...
    I've got no issue with people having different views. It's what makes the world go around. The issue I have is with hypocritical bigots.

I've got no issue with people having different views. It's what makes the world go around. The issue I have is with hypocritical bigots.
    If you eliminate hypocritical bigots from government there will be no one left.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

What else is cake for. If you don't eat it you can't keep it as a collectable. Then again, if it was a cake of soap you wouldn't want to eat it anyway. You can though keep it as a collectable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123