Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep politics out of footy

Keep politics out of footy

Wasn't impressed by this at all. I don't think most supporters, irrespective of their political views, want the club giving de facto endorsement to a candidate during a federal campaign. Note this thread isn't a political forum!

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-elect...25-p51h3n.html
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Wasn't impressed by this at all. I don't think most supporters, irrespective of their political views, want the club giving de facto endorsement to a candidate during a federal campaign. Note this thread isn't a political forum!

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-elect...25-p51h3n.html
    Yes, you have to wonder about this statement from Sharma.
    Mr Sharma said on social media on Tuesday that he had "promised Netball NSW and the Sydney Swans that I’d fight for the $15 million they need from the federal government" last week.

"I fought hard, and today the Treasurer announced that funding,"

So, what role did he have, that allowed him to do some fighting? And if he was boldly fighting for funding, who would he have to fight, in order to get funding? Those next to him in the photo: Sports Minister, Bridget McKenzie and Treasurer, Josh Frydenberg?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, you have to wonder about this statement from Sharma.
    Mr Sharma said on social media on Tuesday that he had "promised Netball NSW and the Sydney Swans that I’d fight for the $15 million they need from the federal government" last week.

"I fought hard, and today the Treasurer announced that funding,"

So, what role did he have, that allowed him to do some fighting? And if he was boldly fighting for funding, who would he have to fight, in order to get funding? Those next to him in the photo: Sports Minister, Bridget McKenzie and Treasurer, Josh Frydenberg?
    Sharma would have shown up for the photo shoot. Ordinary effort by Liberals to have him there. Swans used up by politicians but little they could have done.

Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Sharma would have shown up for the photo shoot. Ordinary effort by Liberals to have him there. Swans used up by politicians but little they could have done.
    Lot they could have done.

And why exactly is $15m of tax money going to professional sport?.

Nice one, deja!

I agree with you too, barry.

I think the Swans have been sucked in to something that makes us look partisan which would certainly have been better avoided on our part. However I don't think I would go so far as to say the Club has endorsed Mr Sharma - still, it wouldn't hurt for them to clarify that.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Lot they could have done.

And why exactly is $15m of tax money going to professional sport?.
    Absolutely fair point. Have never understood this.

The Swans best option would have been to refuse to participate in the event. But I'm sure the $15m would be hard to turn down.

It was money that was already allocated to "sport".
    The grab for it had been six months in the making. The club announced they'd be going for the funding when they announced the plans for the move to the RHI.
    It would have been much better for the "sitting member" to have been there... not someone who is vying for her position.
    This looks like an endorsement of Sharma. Whoever he is.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    It was money that was already allocated to "sport".
    The grab for it had been six months in the making. The club announced they'd be going for the funding when they announced the plans for the move to the RHI.
    It would have been much better for the "sitting member" to have been there... not someone who is vying for her position.
    This looks like an endorsement of Sharma. Whoever he is.
    Then they've willingly endorsed a Liberal candidate. Don't try and tell me the Swans didn't realise what they were doing. That's pretty disappointing to put it mildly. Anyone fancy writing to the club? I did over the Qatar Airways trip they did and got one of those meaningless responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Then they've willingly endorsed a Liberal candidate. Don't try and tell me the Swans didn't realise what they were doing. That's pretty disappointing to put it mildly. Anyone fancy writing to the club? I did over the Qatar Airways trip they did and got one of those meaningless responses.
    What's the point? Harley's already done it.
    Bad move on the Swans part. Keep any political back slapping behind doors - we're not interested.
    Sounds like Harley may be wanting a "parliamentary pension" in his next career move.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    The money is already committed by the sitting government. It's not an election pledge - "you get it if we win". In that context I think it is cunning by the government to wrap it up in the election campaign, but it would have been foolish by the club to reject the funding, and maybe churlish to refuse to make a public announcement that the funding had been secured.

Yes, I'd much prefer they hadn't participated in an announcement wrapped up as a campaign event. But accepting the committed funds now, doesn't mean they are endorsing either the Liberal Party or the local Liberal Party candidate (Sharma).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast