Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: #AFL Round 6 Swans v Giants Sat 27-Apr at SCG #AFLSwansGiants @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    They need to notch a win here and there because attendance and support is already declining ...
    But are there seriously 30,000 Giants members?
    Membership figures are rubbery everywhere. Don't we have 50,000 members, yet get 30,000 crowds.

Giants have 30,000 members and get 15,000 crowds plus maybe a few thousand from Canberra.

Ratios seem similar.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdo5555 View Post
    Completely agree we have dropped the ball across the club which is why we need a club wide review not just the playing list or the coaching staff. I fear that complacency has set in and unless there is a real shake up nothing will change.

We are 1-5 and battling North Melbourne for the tag of worst team in the competition yet there is very little noise in the Sydney cocoon. Relative success over the years and the lack of tough questions has lead to complacent and appalling decision making: Mitchell and Rohan are the most obvious but i think the malaise runs much deeper. Other than a couple of assistant coaches have we gotten new blood in through the administration and other areas of the club or is everyone too cozy and uncritical.

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR

We won on heart then decided to go on a recruiting spree when the whole nature of our success was team ethos, in search of the gold we sold the heart of what made the team so successful. The bloods culture is dead and buried.
    You sound happy to offer your critique. Any solution other than panic stations?

I think the sudden burst in consistent high level performance from Rohan isn't a coincidence. Didn't he actually say that he was walking on eggshells for fear of making a mistake. Now maybe he needed a change of scenery or was it a change in coaching style?
    Just look at how much some players improve when they leave us. Membrey, Mitchell, Nankervis and Rohan have all flourished away from us. It looks pretty damning from my perspective. Chris Scott said they were very keen on getting Rohan because they they were confident of what he could do if he had a run without injury and more pointedly he pointed out that his ability had be inhibited by playing at the Swans. I don't know whether he was referring to Buddy being too dominant, our game style or our coaching.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Just look at how much some players improve when they leave us. Membrey, Mitchell, Nankervis and Rohan have all flourished away from us. It looks pretty damning from my perspective. Chris Scott said they were very keen on getting Rohan because they they were confident of what he could do if he had a run without injury and more pointedly he pointed out that his ability had be inhibited by playing at the Swans. I don't know whether he was referring to Buddy being too dominant, our game style or our coaching.
    Scott full of himself and loves the sound of his own voice with Whateley etc on media street. Should shut up about other clubs. Piss poor finals record compared to Longmire. I repeat- let's see how Cats go in finals. I reckon Scott is batting at 30 per cent or less since 2012 in September.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    [QUOTE=O'Reilly Boy;772993]If there is anything that is going to keep me away from the SCG it is the non-stop noise from the PA system and the distracting (and glitching) advertising running around the fence. The latter does interfere with viewing the game. The incessant noise during breaks means that I can't talk with my friends. WE just have to sit there (or risk screaming at each other). It really takes away from the game day experience.

Absobloodylutely!

And more power to your daughter's arm. And feet!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    and the distracting (and glitching) advertising running around the fence. The latter does interfere with viewing the game.
    It was dreadful Saturday wasn't it? There was a section near the benches that kept flashing brilliant white at high frequency. I wonder how distracting it is for the players too.

(enjoyed your good news story!)

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=dimelb;773024]
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    If there is anything that is going to keep me away from the SCG it is the non-stop noise from the PA system and the distracting (and glitching) advertising running around the fence. The latter does interfere with viewing the game. The incessant noise during breaks means that I can't talk with my friends. WE just have to sit there (or risk screaming at each other). It really takes away from the game day experience.

Absobloodylutely!

And more power to your daughter's arm. And feet!
    Same at Comic Book Stadium. Will NOT go again!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veteran Site Admin
    Yeah but the whole point is we shouldn't be in a position where a few injuries and players being locked down turns the team into a rabble, maybe we still wouldn't win but we shouldn't be the shambles we currently are. Good teams plan for injuries and bad form and still resemble a coherent unit.
    The whole team isn't a rabble. We're not getting blown off the park, smashed by triple figure margins. In pretty much all our games we've matched it with the opposition for around half the game. We've just not been able to sustain it for long enough.

And the age profile of the list has been evident for a while. It's why many on here were suggesting this might be a down season for us months ago, and why the media was lukewarm about our prospects. We're not a Melbourne, who were widely tipped as top 4 (and premiership) contenders based of their list profile (built extremely slowly, after years residing towards the foot of the ladder), are who are also currently sitting 1-5.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The whole team isn't a rabble. We're not getting blown off the park, smashed by triple figure margins. In pretty much all our games we've matched it with the opposition for around half the game. We've just not been able to sustain it for long enough.

And the age profile of the list has been evident for a while. It's why many on here were suggesting this might be a down season for us months ago, and why the media was lukewarm about our prospects. We're not a Melbourne, who were widely tipped as top 4 (and premiership) contenders based of their list profile (built extremely slowly, after years residing towards the foot of the ladder), are who are also currently sitting 1-5.
    That's a fair point Liz, many predicted a down year, although probably not bottom 3! At the same time you can't deny that the list is significantly under performing based on the talent available.

Ultimately there's probably not that big of a talent gap between the teams ranked from 5 through to 14, its other factors that make a difference such as player & list management, game plan, injuries, discipline, fitness, motivation etc. It just feels to me that there are factors that are/were within our control that we haven't managed as well as we could have

Y

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but the whole point is we shouldn't be in a position where a few injuries and players being locked down turns the team into a rabble, maybe we still wouldn't win but we shouldn't be the shambles we currently are. Good teams plan for injuries and bad form and still resemble a coherent unit.
    Yes but as can be seen the competition is so even that you only have to be down 10-20% and you can go from fourth to fifteenth. Many times teams have slid from to top four to bottom four in the space of a year.

I would be far more dissapointed if I was a Melbourne fan for example as they looked to be on the verge of a tilt at the premiership and now sit with us near the bottom.

I actually dont think we are a shambles , just a relatively young team learning its way. Its totally unfair on horse (and Im no cheerleader for him btw) to call for his head when the team slides out of the eight for the first time in many years and I frankly find it amazing that people on here would call for him to be replaced by either of the Scotts who have lead heartland clubs and in my view have massively underachieved at those clubs.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Y

- - - Updated - - -

I actually dont think we are a shambles , just a relatively young team learning its way. Its totally unfair on horse (and Im no cheerleader for him btw) to call for his head when the team slides out of the eight for the first time in many years and I frankly find it amazing that people on here would call for him to be replaced by either of the Scotts who have lead heartland clubs and in my view have massively underachieved at those clubs.
    I find it amazing too, as I haven't seen anybody on this board suggesting that one of the Scott's should replace Longmire (not that Chris would be available given he's coaching the team sitting on top of the ladder)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The Tippett and Franklin trades are often bracketed together to carry the blame for the Swans descent towards the bottom.
    The Tippett trade floundered (injuries prevailed), the Franklin trade has been very successful (not unfortunately for a Premiership).
    Buddy has been so influential in winning many games for the club and been an amazing investment.
    He was sorely mistaken missed, Haine wouldn’t have taken all those intercept marks if Buddy was there.
    With all due respect to possibly the greatest half forward of all time, I doubt very much that his presence would have affected the outcome of the game (especially if Phil Davis had also played)
    Buddy has always been decidedly suspect overhead, so it's unfair to expect him to dominate aerially.
    He doesn't crash packs, he doesn't make a contest, doesn't bring the ball to ground - they're not his specialities. And Davis stops him from running back towards goal (which is Buddy's speciality).
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819