Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round VII Lions

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I'm surprised reading here that some think McCartin should be dropped.

He competes all game, attacks the ball, is an excellent mark...He's tracking really well for a 19 year old playing CHF.

IMO he's one of the few shining lights in our team right now.

OUT : Clarke, Ronke

IN : COR, Rose

These 2 should be given at least 3 games to settle in at AFL level.

Cameron also should be given an extended run at some stage.

If Buddy is fit, then Blakey or Reid to make way.
    I'd omit one of Blakey or McCartin even if Buddy isn't fit to return. I think they are both fine prospects, and in time will become good forwards. But at the moment they are playing in a young and dysfunctional forward line. It was evident yesterday (especially in the second half), how static our forward line was. Pretty much every entry was kicked long towards the top of the goal square where all our forwards (and all the Giants' defenders) stood watching. There was no movement to create free options. Now I acknowledge that this might be a chicken and and egg situation - ie did all the entries go there because that's where all the forwards had stationed themselves? Or did all the forwards station themselves there because they knew that's where all the entries were going? But even if it's the latter, one or more of the forwards leading away from that area (and taking a defender with them) would have somewhat improved the chances of taking a mark, or at least bringing the ball to ground even if the ball continued to be kicked there.

Someone, on some thread, bemoaned our lack of a forward able to take a mark. I actually think that's a long way from reality, and one reason why I think we can rebound quite quickly if the midfield woes can be sorted (and again, I'm not necessarily talking about this season). Yesterday alone we saw Blakey, McCartin, Reid, Dawson, Parker and Heeney take contested marks in our forward line under a lot of pressure. Sure, none of them took very many, but they can all do it. And then there's Franklin to add back in. I know he's marking is perceived as a weakness but he's a lot better than many give him credit for - it's just a relative weakness compared to some of the other freakish things he does.

I realise that anyone else who comes into the forward line at their expense is going to be just as inexperienced (if Buddy is not available) but changing the balance between talls and smalls might help somewhat. Alternatively, we need Johnson to work overtime this week in teaching the talls how to spread out and create space for each other.

Warming the Bench
    As others have mentioned we should bring Cameron in to free Sinclair up to play deep forward. Blakey is a first year key forward, needs more time to develop in the NEAFL. My changes

Ins: Cameron, Rose (or Fox), O'Riordan

Outs: Blakey, Ronke, Clarke

I feel sorry for Clarke, he's still a young player and it looks like he hasn't been given a defined role. Low game time puts more pressure on him to make every touch count. I wouldn't mind keeping Clarke in for a few more weeks but giving him more game time and a more defined role. He could be used as a tagger and free Hewitt up . This is a year of development, time to find out which players are worth sticking with

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Let’s all be honest

2019 is a rebuilding season

Let’s measure progress rather then results if we want to enjoy this season

We can all see how dependant we are on a full squad and experienced players being out on the ground

It appears due to significant injuries we are fast tracking certain players into roles they are growing into massively

We have -

1. Oli learning how to play as a true inside outside mid

2. Jones playing inside more so then outside and letting of his HBF role

3. McCartin learning how to play as a true defender as well as helping up in the forward line

4. Thurlow playing an intercept role off HBF in a new team with a fairly brittle backline right now

5. Papley adapting to playing more midfield minutes

6. Rowbottom definitely learning but like Parker, Mills and Heeney young Rowbottom should be given a decent amount of runs in snrs to help our hunt and aggression on the contested ball

7. Blakey - learning his craft which is bloody hard for a 18yr old skinny tall in ur first season and if we want him good for 2020 we need to perisher with him in snrs I feel / Menzel will put pressure on blakey and or ronke I feel but for now blakey

8. Dawson - definitely progressing and I’m happy he is being given game time in a season that really is about rebuilding in the snrs with new players new roles

9. Melican - finding his feet again with only 20 something games two years ago

10. AA - 30 game player now becoming a key defender and a true voice in the backline

Etc

I truly feel it’s time to give COR the role that Mills plays and let Mills get more midfield minutes now - even if only 50/50

Mills is not that good in the role he plays off HBF - I mean look at the way the gws backline counter attacks. Mills should be a genuine 50/50 midfield / HBF......... not just a HBF

GWS just moved so quickly out of their backline that it puts so much pressure on our defence to reset

We need to create that pressure also on the opposition

That means we need to rotate thru our backline some more exit speed

In : COR
    Out : Clarke

I will persist with Blakey given we are rebuilding for 2019 and given buddy carrying a hammy

Maybe give him a rest here and there and or give him some more time off HBF using his field kicking and height and run
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 29th April 2019 at 08:47 AM.

Clarke touted as one of the fittest players all preseason yet playing the least minutes ?
    Mills still in defence with a terrible midfield
    Lloyd still deep and ineffective

Some real head scratching stuff in that coaches box

I think we also need to look at our game style along with personnel changes.

For sure Ronke, Clarke and maybe one more need to go back to NEAFL. I would add Cameron, COR and possibly Stoddard/Rose to give us more pace (which we desperately need).

We need to move the ball more quickly and yes I know we will make mistakes, but we have to change the style of our game. The Bloods football of the past is gone and now we have a much younger group, our older players are mostly injured or out of form, and all the other AFL teams have changed their game plans and we are being left way behind.

Hopefully Horse is up for the changes, but if not then the club should look elsewhere at the end of the year for a coach that can deliver the required changes.

We were once the club that found gems from other clubs nowadays
    Hawks get a Brownlow medallist off us who was lowballed (understandably at the time)
    Newman doing well running off the HBF kinda where we suck
    Rohan killing it in a team that isolates him deep with quick ball movement

Out. Ronke, Clarke. Clarke should be banished to the lower depths of the NEAFL never to return.

Ins. COR, Rose, but only if they're going to play him as a mid, or Stoddart.

Longmire should lobby to change the 6 6 6 to 2 3 13
    Fwd line us shambles
    Midfield is a 5yr apprenticeship
    Happy to play everyone as a stationary defender

Veterans List
    Clarke 11 disposals @ 27% "efficiency". There was a reason he wasn't getting games last year at LOLNorf, we are now seeing why. Only possible role would be as an endurance tagger. You cannot possibly leave him in the seniors at the expense of a developing player.

Time to rethink how we line up, if we need a major reshuffle let's do it because the season is gone. Mills into the mids where he trained all summer. COR & Fox to the backline. Ronke has to go back to redevelop his game, why not try Wicks? he has obviously looked good in recent NEAFL games, get him in while he's hot.

Just accept we're gone and start 2020 now! You listening match committee?

We are missing the value of having a small defender like Nick Smith. Lloyd is a playmaker, but not a good defender. We don't see Cunningham in the back line regularly, but he seems a better defender than Lloyd.

I think bringing in COR is a must. He brings a bit more defence as well as rebound. I've said before, that I would prefer seeing Lloyd in the midfield (wing); I think we can use a good link man through the middle where things seems to be breaking down for us.

I've been impressed with Stoddart's defensive skill. We haven't seen much, but he seems a good one on one defender and has great closing speed. He's a bit skinny, but doesn't play skinny. I'd bring him in this week as well.

Clarke and Ronke are the most obvious ones to drop. There could be others. I would continue to play Rowbottom.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Clarke 11 disposals @ 27% "efficiency". There was a reason he wasn't getting games last year at LOLNorf, we are now seeing why. Only possible role would be as an endurance tagger. You cannot possibly leave him in the seniors at the expense of a developing player.
    The strange thing is that Clarke was getting games at North. He played 19 of 22 games last year, up from 15 in 2017, with close to 20 disposals a game. So why did NM let him go for next to nothing? We can see why. His disposal is terrible. Perhaps it was worth the risk of picking him up, but he has to improve his disposal before he can play senior footy.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

The strange thing is that Clarke was getting games at North. He played 19 of 22 games last year, up from 15 in 2017, with close to 20 disposals a game. So why did NM let him go for next to nothing? We can see why. His disposal is terrible. Perhaps it was worth the risk of picking him up, but he has to improve his disposal before he can play senior footy.
    They seemed to be playing him in mostly an outside role, where disposal skills are a bit more critical. I don't pay that much attention to North, but I thought when he first emerged he was a genuine ball winner, rather than an outside user. They got upgrades over the offseason for those outside roles in Hall, Polec and Pittard (questionable).

I haven't written him off yet. It can't be easy coming into a new side as an emerging but experienced player trying to make your mark, particularly in a team down on confidence and a bit dysfunctional. I do think there's merit in letting him learn a bit more about the Swans style of play in the NEAFL for a few weeks, with no expectation of immediately trying to win a midfield spot back. On the evidence of Saturday, I'd much prefer someone like Fox to get a chance in Clarke's role (whatever that is, exactly).

sounds about right
    Like what he did as an inside mid and play him as an outside mid

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast