Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round VII Lions

Firstly, after Horse's press conference, I am prepared to cut him and the team some slack. He finally admitted, in his own words, that we need to lower our expectations with such a young, developing team. So I'm officially writing this year off, and accepting the Swans aren't going to be as competitive as we'd like in 2019.

It's a year of development, to figure out what's what with the list, and I suspect the game plan too.

That doesn't mean chucking every player over 30 out of the team, but I think some older players may be less likely to get a game in this scenario.

I'm all in favour of:

* (as others suggested) playing Cameron for the next 4-6 weeks until Naismith comes along, which would give us a more experienced forward line when Sinkers is in it.
    * dropping Clarke, and giving his spot to COR to share with Mills or let Mills move directly to the midfield. I wonder if Mills is frustrated with how he is being played, and its affecting his performance.
    * dropping Ronke, not sure who gets his spot, probably Rose.
    * sticking with Rowbottom, he looks like he belongs already
    * playing Cunningham in defence.

OUT: Ronke, Clarke, Blakey
    IN: Rose, COR, Cameron

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    They seemed to be playing him in mostly an outside role, where disposal skills are a bit more critical. I don't pay that much attention to North, but I thought when he first emerged he was a genuine ball winner, rather than an outside user. They got upgrades over the offseason for those outside roles in Hall, Polec and Pittard (questionable).

I haven't written him off yet. It can't be easy coming into a new side as an emerging but experienced player trying to make your mark, particularly in a team down on confidence and a bit dysfunctional. I do think there's merit in letting him learn a bit more about the Swans style of play in the NEAFL for a few weeks, with no expectation of immediately trying to win a midfield spot back. On the evidence of Saturday, I'd much prefer someone like Fox to get a chance in Clarke's role (whatever that is, exactly).
    I understood they were playing him as a rebounding defender.

Clarke rapt to be back - NMFC.com.au
    Swans recruit ready to fill vacant Hannebery role - AFL.com.au

Id say with a Disposal eff of less than 30% he is doing perfect in the Hannabery role

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Let’s all be honest

2019 is a rebuilding season

Let’s measure progress rather then results if we want to enjoy this season

We can all see how dependant we are on a full squad and experienced players being out on the ground

It appears due to significant injuries we are fast tracking certain players into roles they are growing into massively

We have -

1. Oli learning how to play as a true inside outside mid

2. Jones playing inside more so then outside and letting of his HBF role

3. McCartin learning how to play as a true defender as well as helping up in the forward line

4. Thurlow playing an intercept role off HBF in a new team with a fairly brittle backline right now

5. Papley adapting to playing more midfield minutes

6. Rowbottom definitely learning but like Parker, Mills and Heeney young Rowbottom should be given a decent amount of runs in snrs to help our hunt and aggression on the contested ball

7. Blakey - learning his craft which is bloody hard for a 18yr old skinny tall in ur first season and if we want him good for 2020 we need to perisher with him in snrs I feel / Menzel will put pressure on blakey and or ronke I feel but for now blakey

8. Dawson - definitely progressing and I’m happy he is being given game time in a season that really is about rebuilding in the snrs with new players new roles

9. Melican - finding his feet again with only 20 something games two years ago

10. AA - 30 game player now becoming a key defender and a true voice in the backline

Etc

I truly feel it’s time to give COR the role that Mills plays and let Mills get more midfield minutes now - even if only 50/50

Mills is not that good in the role he plays off HBF - I mean look at the way the gws backline counter attacks. Mills should be a genuine 50/50 midfield / HBF......... not just a HBF

GWS just moved so quickly out of their backline that it puts so much pressure on our defence to reset

We need to create that pressure also on the opposition

That means we need to rotate thru our backline some more exit speed

In : COR
    Out : Clarke

I will persist with Blakey given we are rebuilding for 2019 and given buddy carrying a hammy

Maybe give him a rest here and there and or give him some more time off HBF using his field kicking and height and run
    I agree this is a rebuilding season. Blakey is averaging a goal a game. If he lifts a bit might finish with 30 goals for the year. Learning on the job with an ok return. I'd only drop him if I felt he was losing confidence.

I guess it is good to see that we are trying a different game plan at the very least, which is why we are seeing higher turnover goals by going through the corridor, compared to the boundary line in 2017-18.

This is the best crop of young players we have had in years though, so we only need to rejuvenate our list and work out the best structures and who fits into our best 22 for next year. But Mills really needs to get midfield time this year though, his talent is being wasted in his current role.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Which I would classify as a mostly outside role.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    On the evidence of Saturday, I'd much prefer someone like Fox to get a chance in Clarke's role (whatever that is, exactly).
    There's a video interview with Fox on the Swans' website today. He mentioned that the coaches had a talk with him about getting back to basics and it's improved his game, at least it did on Saturday. He's played some good football and he has a well rounded game, in that his skills are quite good, he runs well and does the physical stuff too, so his best footy is AFL quality. For some reason his game fell away the back half of last year. I hope Saturday was his resurrection. He's someone who can come right into the side if needed.

I think we have the right personnel to improve. We need to get the defense settled so they get used to working together. Every good team has a well oiled back line to move the ball quickly out of defense. Without Reg, Macca and Smith, we're playing like a school yard pick-up team. Getting COR and Stoddart into the side and deciding on the 3rd key defender (Melican, Reid or McCartin) should be done asap. Then just play them together for a string of games and hopefully we'll see some improvement.

Maybe by June, Ling will have build his game up enough to make an AFL debut. I like what I see so far. He's another player with pace and precision kicking that should make a big difference.

COR, Stoddart and Ling make for a significant boost in running and kicking power compared to the side we put out last week.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Buddy ruled out but Hayward may return.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Buddy ruled out but Hayward may return.
    Surely we must play Cameron this week. Sinclair can play FF, give us a genuine target. Stef Martin is an undersized ruck, Cameron should have a good shot at the stoppages. Plus he has shown he can clunk a mark and is a good kick. The only doubt is whether he had the tank to run with Stef but with Sinclair and Reid to give him a break, I think he will be fine and this is the ideal week to bring him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Surely we must play Cameron this week. Sinclair can play FF, give us a genuine target. Stef Martin is an undersized ruck, Cameron should have a good shot at the stoppages. Plus he has shown he can clunk a mark and is a good kick. The only doubt is whether he had the tank to run with Stef but with Sinclair and Reid to give him a break, I think he will be fine and this is the ideal week to bring him in.
    Agreed. Also we have to play COR. I'd bring in Rose for Ronke if Hayward doesn't get up.

Any news on Menzel? I saw he didnt return and play ressies last week.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Agreed. Also we have to play COR. I'd bring in Rose for Ronke if Hayward doesn't get up.

Any news on Menzel? I saw he didnt return and play ressies last week.
    Menzel is out until maybe next week in the reserve as per Longmire's press conference yesterday.
    Listening to Longmire he gave me the impression that he sounded really positive and relieved as if the weight of expectation has been lifted viz; making the finals, rebuilding and maintaining the status. He sounded really excited about having a proper training oval next to the SCG, taking into consideration the construction works in the area viz; Allianz Stadium rebuild and the light rail works.
    As a supporter I can accept that the club will not achieve finals this year and that the next wave of young footballers are to come through. I am optimistic that this will happen and I would like to see Mills and Florent playing in the midfield, Cor and Stoddart brought in. Stick with McCartin up forward, persist with Melican, Thurlow and Allir down back, play Dawson half back, Lloyd on a wing. Parker and Kennedy a mix of forward/midfield.
    Back to the reserves for Clarke and Ronke to get confidence and form.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There's a video interview with Fox on the Swans' website today. He mentioned that the coaches had a talk with him about getting back to basics and it's improved his game, at least it did on Saturday. He's played some good football and he has a well rounded game, in that his skills are quite good, he runs well and does the physical stuff too, so his best footy is AFL quality. For some reason his game fell away the back half of last year. I hope Saturday was his resurrection. He's someone who can come right into the side if needed.

I think we have the right personnel to improve. We need to get the defense settled so they get used to working together. Every good team has a well oiled back line to move the ball quickly out of defense. Without Reg, Macca and Smith, we're playing like a school yard pick-up team. Getting COR and Stoddart into the side and deciding on the 3rd key defender (Melican, Reid or McCartin) should be done asap. Then just play them together for a string of games and hopefully we'll see some improvement.

Maybe by June, Ling will have build his game up enough to make an AFL debut. I like what I see so far. He's another player with pace and precision kicking that should make a big difference.

COR, Stoddart and Ling make for a significant boost in running and kicking power compared to the side we put out last week.
    Good one, agree with all of this.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast