Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round VII Lions

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Menzel is out until maybe next week in the reserve as per Longmire's press conference yesterday.
    Listening to Longmire he gave me the impression that he sounded really positive and relieved as if the weight of expectation has been lifted viz; making the finals, rebuilding and maintaining the status. He sounded really excited about having a proper training oval next to the SCG, taking into consideration the construction works in the area viz; Allianz Stadium rebuild and the light rail works.
    As a supporter I can accept that the club will not achieve finals this year and that the next wave of young footballers are to come through. I am optimistic that this will happen and I would like to see Mills and Florent playing in the midfield, Cor and Stoddart brought in. Stick with McCartin up forward, persist with Melican, Thurlow and Allir down back, play Dawson half back, Lloyd on a wing. Parker and Kennedy a mix of forward/midfield.
    Back to the reserves for Clarke and Ronke to get confidence and form.
    Lets see what this week brings at selection and at the Gabbatoir?
    I can handle a down year if it will be used to set us up for the future.

According to the AFL, Kizza is "in the mix" to return this week?

In the mix: Who's pushing for selection for round seven? - AFL.com.au

What do others feel about that?

I really don't think Jack should come back. I think the club should continue with the (admittedly enforced - well pointed out Liz) youth policy. The only argument I can think of would be for Jack to lead the forward line in the absence of Buddy. But why can't Sam Reid do that?

I'd say change them all, but...
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    According to the AFL, Kizza is "in the mix" to return this week?

In the mix: Who's pushing for selection for round seven? - AFL.com.au

What do others feel about that?

I really don't think Jack should come back. I think the club should continue with the (admittedly enforced - well pointed out Liz) youth policy. The only argument I can think of would be for Jack to lead the forward line in the absence of Buddy. But why can't Sam Reid do that?
    I'd much rather Jack can stay in the seconds and help the next gen with some onfield leadership and coaching. It's time to give another player a decent run in our squad. COR, Fox and Rose should all come in ahead of Jack as they have upside (maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I'd much rather Jack can stay in the seconds and help the next gen with some onfield leadership and coaching. It's time to give another player a decent run in our squad. COR, Fox and Rose should all come in ahead of Jack as they have upside (maybe).
    If Jack is brought in, it makes a mockery of rebuilding for the future. As well, the form of others such as Fox, Rose, COR, Stoddart and Cameron is far superior.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I love Kieren and have great respect for what he has achieved, especially in our most recent flag, but if he is running into old age fragility he should stay in the Seconds as Mark26 suggests. It's an arena where he still has a lot to offer.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I think Ronke may have forgotten what got him into the team in the first place, he's only making 1.6 tackles per game this year
    His 7 goals against the Hawks was astonishing, but tricky to repeat, perhaps he should aim to equal the 10 tackles he made during that game instead - a more achievable goal?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    If Jack is brought in, it makes a mockery of rebuilding for the future. As well, the form of others such as Fox, Rose, COR, Stoddart and Cameron is far superior.
    I don't think the process of rebuilding necessitates the removal of veterans from the list or just playing youth. There has to be a balance and a plan to carry it out. Having said that, you also have to be getting value from your senior players. I am not sure we are getting much value from Jack and expect that this is his last year of AFL. Other senior players, like McVeigh for instance, can add stability and leadership that is needed across all lines. I hope he comes back into the side soon, and given his form, I hope he also runs around for us next year.

Jack should only play if the coaches (and other players) believe he is offering something that is needed on-field other than what the stat sheet shows.

I would hope to see some team and positional changes that will enable us to win a game - which would provide a great pressure valve relief for the players, improve the negative attitude of a lot of supporters and be damned good overall for the club.

Agree with above - we need to find the right balance and based on our injury list and current form of some of the younger players is not easy. I have been critical of Horse many times in the past, but I think the penny has dropped and he is trying to play a more attacking style of football, however the talent list and form is not good.

Veterans List
    Jack did little before being injured to warrant auto selection. Reward those performing in the NEAFL IF they are seen as part of our future.

On last weeks showing COR, Fox & maybe Wicks should feature this week.

Pushing for Selection
    Horse not taking a "RISK" with Buddy this week. Still a bit sore . Channel 7 melb.

Senior Player
    I too have breathed a sigh of relief after horses press conferences this week.

I am completely ok with not making finals this year. We get to play the kids and her games into them. Then we add some top end talent with high draft picks.

That is a terrific basis for the future

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast