Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round VII Lions

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    I too have breathed a sigh of relief after horses press conferences this week.

I am completely ok with not making finals this year. We get to play the kids and her games into them. Then we add some top end talent with high draft picks.

That is a terrific basis for the future
    I hate to say it, but Ross-the-boss did it pretty well at Freo. A couple of disastrous years on field, which yielded high draft picks, supplemented by some very shrewd trading (Lachie Weller in particular comes to mind) and some bold moves for top end talent... That and a less defensive gameplan.

Wonder if we might burn some future trades this year to bring in the best talent via trade, draft and free agency we can.

I see talk of Brandon Ellis changing clubs at the end of year. I'm not saying he's what we need, but he may be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    According to the AFL, Kizza is "in the mix" to return this week?

In the mix: Who's pushing for selection for round seven? - AFL.com.au

What do others feel about that?

I really don't think Jack should come back. I think the club should continue with the (admittedly enforced - well pointed out Liz) youth policy. The only argument I can think of would be for Jack to lead the forward line in the absence of Buddy. But why can't Sam Reid do that?
    As far as I'm concerned, unless a player is going to be playing with us next year then they should be playing ressies. Jacks been poor for a couple of years now and Grundy is too slow for the modern game. Both of them should provide some guidance for the youngsters in the NEAFL. Smith might actually play another year so I'm happy for him to players seniors if that's the case. I'm undecided about McVeigh. He's still a good player and provides great leadership but he'll be taking the spot of COR or another youngster so I'd probably err on the side of putting him in the NEAFL too. We should rest the other players at times during the season to minimise injuries and give other players opportunity. Rest Buddy if necessary to make sure he is 100% ready for round 1 next year and hopefully prolong his career.

You need to be careful not to get rid off too much experience from the seniors as the youngsters learn from these guys. I'd like to see the club experiment a little and give the youngsters at least a few games in a row to see how they settle and to try them in different positions as well. Continue to play Clarke and Thurlow to see how they settle and adapt.

Although this year is gone for us it exciting to see people, including some at the club acknowledge this. I'm happy for us to bottom out this year low enough that we can select the best young gun, ie Rowell, that we have our eyes on. We've got a great young list but we just need that elite midfielder to cap it off. I'd also like to see us target a good tap ruckman from another club, as we did with Mummy, Jolly and Ball.

Veterans List
    After Longmire's statement, selection this week will be the most interesting for quite some time.

Funny how some players have a shorter playing life than others.Jack is not yet 32 but is past it, same as Hannebury. Something to do with their high intensity work rate & meters when at their peak ? Lack of true ball skills and elite vision haven't helped as well. Just interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Funny how some players have a shorter playing life than others.Jack is not yet 32 but is past it, same as Hannebury. Something to do with their high intensity work rate & meters when at their peak ? Lack of true ball skills and elite vision haven't helped as well. Just interesting
    Hannebery breaking down so young is unusual. Maybe they will be able to "rebuild" him at the Saints?

- - - Updated - - -

This on the AFL website today, talking about COR in an article entitled "Why can't he get a game?"

Why can't he get a game? Your club's missing men - AFL.com.au

Irish defender Colin O'Riordan showed some positive signs in three games last year but he was dropped after his only appearance this season against Adelaide in round two, when he gave away a costly 100m penalty. The 23-year-old has dominated at reserves level but surprisingly can't crack into the backline set-up in the AFL side, despite the absence of Jarrad McVeigh and Nick Smith. His speed and dash off half-back would be important for the Swans.

How does he get back in?

O'Riordan's decision-making lets him down at times, but he's skilful and loves to take the game on, so if he can clean up that area of his game, he should get more opportunities. He's averaged more than 30 possessions per game in four reserves games so far, and had 42 against GWS last week, but needs to ensure he's got the mix right between defending his opponent and providing an attacking option. - Adam Curley

Hanners has pumped out 200 games at 27 years of age and his put his body on the line in most of those , as well as racking up big km’s. Not surprising at all really. There’s only so much a body can take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    "His speed and dash off half-back would be important for the Swans" - I want Adam Curley on the Match Committee!

If COR doesn't offer lots more right now than Clarke, plus lots more upside, then I'm watching our games with my eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    "His speed and dash off half-back would be important for the Swans" - I want Adam Curley on the Match Committee!

If COR doesn't offer lots more right now than Clarke, plus lots more upside, then I'm watching our games with my eyes closed.
    I agree. Clarke is hopeless. Last week they actually had to play Clarke forward to manage the damage. His decision making and basic skill errors were extremely costly. Then early in the third he gave away three balls in a row through under 9's clangers. He's gone as far as I'm concerned.

Ronke, Clarke, Blakey were all pretty bad. But I will say it is hard to play against a back line that is so talented and has an extra. Only one marking forward, McCartin was easy to counter. Reid thrown down back. The forwards had no chance with Horse's game plan.

I'm quite willing to persevere with Thurlow and Melican. COR needs to come in. By the way I'm not sure what Blakey's role really is? Is it leading tall forward? High marking target? If that the idea the it is a @@@@ up. Play Rowbottom and Dawson through the guts they may just surprise. Take risks. Nobody who didn't take risks achieved anything

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I agree. Clarke is hopeless. Last week they actually had to play Clarke forward to manage the damage. His decision making and basic skill errors were extremely costly. Then early in the third he gave away three balls in a row through under 9's clangers. He's gone as far as I'm concerned.

Ronke, Clarke, Blakey were all pretty bad. But I will say it is hard to play against a back line that is so talented and has an extra. Only one marking forward, McCartin was easy to counter. Reid thrown down back. The forwards had no chance with Horse's game plan.

I'm quite willing to persevere with Thurlow and Melican. COR needs to come in. By the way I'm not sure what Blakey's role really is? Is it leading tall forward? High marking target? If that the idea the it is a @@@@ up. Play Rowbottom and Dawson through the guts they may just surprise. Take risks. Nobody who didn't take risks achieved anything

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    Agreed with this.

I'd drop Ronke, Clarke and Blakey and bring in Cameron (Sinclair to play forward), Rose and COR

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Agreed with this.

I'd drop Ronke, Clarke and Blakey and bring in Cameron (Sinclair to play forward), Rose and COR
    I agree with wolftone's post, too. Also agree with your outs, but I'm not convinced Rose would improve us. I'd like to see Fox in.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Agreed with this.

I feel that Blakey is not a marking forward. He's too light a frame and easily gets worked over by older and physically more solid opponents. He seems to be at his best with a bit of room to move, where his speed and evasion comes into play. I know many disagree, but he needs to play on a wing. That's where I ultimately see him doing most for us. He's not going to turn into Lockett in the short or long term but may become our version of Bont or Cripps.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I agree with wolftone's post, too. Also agree with your outs, but I'm not convinced Rose would improve us. I'd like to see Fox in.
    How about Hayward for Ronke?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast