Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse

I have to say I've been a horse doubter in the past, but the last 3 weeks there's been such a transformation, that I really hope he doesn't go to Norf or anywhere else.

This is what Robbo says in the Tackle,

"This was [Brad Scott's] doing and the Kangaroos agreed ... A clean-out of the football department is expected with the new coach. It’s anticipated approaches will be made to Adam Simpson, John Longmire and Alastair Clarkson, the three of them former Kangaroos players. Simpson and Clarkson look tough to get, which leaves Longmire. The Swans hope to re-sign him, but it would seem that if Longmire wanted the North Melbourne job, he’d be an unbackable favourite to get it."

Which to me means his earlier Longmire comment is an educated guess about who'd be easiest to get, rather than being on any inside information.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    This is what Robbo says in the Tackle,

"This was [Brad Scott's] doing and the Kangaroos agreed ... A clean-out of the football department is expected with the new coach. It’s anticipated approaches will be made to Adam Simpson, John Longmire and Alastair Clarkson, the three of them former Kangaroos players. Simpson and Clarkson look tough to get, which leaves Longmire. The Swans hope to re-sign him, but it would seem that if Longmire wanted the North Melbourne job, he’d be an unbackable favourite to get it."

Which to me means his earlier Longmire comment is an educated guess about who'd be easiest to get, rather than being on any inside information.
    Agree, that's entirely different to a prediction that Longmire will be at North next year. I don't know if that previous comment was a direct quote from Robinson, or someone paraphrasing what he said above.

Maybe he'd be easier to get than Simpson or Clarkson, maybe not. He seems invested in Sydney. But why the presumption that someone who played for North over a decade ago (in the case of the most recently retired of the three, Simpson) or longer is needed to coach the team. Do they think that someone who didn't play for them can't possibly understand the Shinboner spirit? Are any other clubs obsessed with having an ex-player coach them? That notion failed at Brisbane and Essendon, it took a darned long time to come to fruition at Collingwood, and I don't think currently applies to any other club.

Robbos comment was made in a tweet from 3AW which has since been deleted, but quoted on this thread by KSAS.

“I have no doubt John Longmire will be at North Melbourne next year."

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp....26-p51rdh.html

They went after Hanners (when he was in form). Failed.
    They went after Heeney. Failed.
    They even went after Nic Newman. Even failed at that.
    North can chase whoever they want, but the reality is you have to want to go to a basket case. Horse has a reasonable blend of quality albeit aging talent and some of the best emerging talent at his disposal today. Unless he plans to try and take some of that talent with him (as Tommy Hafey did with Williams, Bolton and Toohey)
    Last edited by goswannies; 27th May 2019 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Robbos comment was made in a tweet from 3AW which has since been deleted, but quoted on this thread by KSAS.

“I have no doubt John Longmire will be at North Melbourne next year."
    I copied/pasted that 3AW tweet directly from a live HS update (which unusually wasn't pay walled at that point), which has since morphed into a pay wall article about North allegedly chasing Longmire, along the lines Markwebbos outlined above. Original update definitely left reader with impression Robbo made that comment live on 3AW (dunno if he did). It was the headliner with that 3AW tweet being the source of content, with other people tweeting their surprised reactions to it. Interesting to hear 3AW have now removed it. Fake news perhaps? I for one am relieved that it appears to be just speculative, unless Robbo on AFL 360 later today re-affirms his quote. I was just posting what I'd picked up.

Along with the putting up Buddy for trade speculation, we appear to be the target for fake news lately!

OMG. Horse back to the shinboners.
    Over my dead body!!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Heard Tom Browne on radio this morning say North Melbourne will target John Longmire. however he conceded it will be difficult to dislodge him & his family from Sydney as they're so entrenched up there. That's a far cry from Robbo's alleged quote that Longmire will be coaching North next year. In fact Tom Browne hinted last Friday morning that Brad Scott might not see the year out at North before Robbo came out with the story later that afternoon.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...26-p51rdh.html

Sydney expect John Longmire to not only stay at the club next year but to coach the Swans beyond 2020 after his current contract expires.

The Swans' premiership-winning coach is set to be targeted by his former club North Melbourne, who formally parted ways with Brad Scott on Sunday after more than nine years at the helm.

Longmire is likely to be asked about his future when he conducts his weekly press conference on Monday.

The Swans would be extremely shocked if Longmire, who played 200 games with the Kangaroos and was a member of their 1999 premiership team, was to ask for a release from his contract...

Swans chief executive Tom Harley was supremely confident Longmire would remain at the club despite the turmoil at North Melbourne.

"He is so invested in this footy club and we're really fortunate to have a coach like John," Harley said on the ABC after news of Scott's departure broke.

"He's got the most winning record of all current coaches and absolutely a massive part of our future going forward.

"I can't see that happening [Longmire leaving]."

Pushing for Selection
    IF and I say IF Longmire goes to North, WHO coaches The Swans? Do you supporters in Sydney have any inside info if that happens?
    WHO would we Replace him with????

Quote Originally Posted by Old S.M.Blood View Post
    IF and I say IF Longmire goes to North, WHO coaches The Swans? Do you supporters in Sydney have any inside info if that happens?
    Well, Brad Scott is available...
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Old S.M.Blood View Post
    IF Longmire went to Norf (which he won't), would Rhyce want to hang around? I always thought that if the Swans wanted to do another 'succession plan', it would be Longmire to Shaw, given how he was going with the NEAFL boys and the fact he won the AFL 'Best Assistant Coach' award. I still thought that may be a possibility after he hones his craft at Norf for a few years.....but now he has only 13 matches at the helm to prove himself as worthy of the top job. If he doesn't get that top job and Horse arrived, I don't think he'd hang around, given the rumours of Shawry challenging Horse on aspects of the Swans gameplan and then leaving after they reportedly 'clashed'.

So, in the unlikely event that Horse goes to North, I'm sure Rhyce would love to coach our squad....and we could do worse. I don't want Scott coaching our boys....

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast