Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse

I just can’t see an established senior coach at a good club , or even at an average club for that matter , leaving to go to norf. Surely only someone looking to further their career ( a current assistant coach ) would find that job appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I just can’t see an established senior coach at a good club , or even at an average club for that matter , leaving to go to norf. Surely only someone looking to further their career ( a current assistant coach ) would find that job appealing.

There's $9m good reasons

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    There's $9m good reasons
    Horse will definitely get a good offer from the swans though , especially now. He’s playing the game well and has probably bumped his next contract offer up by a few hundred thousand a year then it would have otherwise been. Would he leave for , let’s say , an extra 2 million over 5 years ? To go to bloody norf and potentially hand over a list at the swans that could be anything over the next few years. He’d have to be bonkers and John seems like a very sensible man to me. John stays.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I believe they have spoken to Simpson too. I saw him interviewed yesterday and he said he'd fielded an enquiry but told them he wasn't interested.
    A somewhat different approach to that of Longmire!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    A somewhat different approach to that of Longmire!
    Maybe. But as a coach who has won a premiership within the last six months and has his team in the top four, he has complete security where he is. Even if Longmire wants to stay at the Swans, he'd be daft to absolutely commit himself until he actually has an offer on the table from the club. If the team proceeds to lose the next 7 games by 100 pts, his current security may decrease somewhat.

That seems unlikely to occur, but when he was first asked by the media about his interest in the Norf job, the team's form was a lot more precarious than it currently is.

Veterans List
    I believe they have spoken to Simpson too. I saw him interviewed yesterday and he said he'd fielded an enquiry but told them he wasn't interested.
    Ah ok so I wasn't going nuts!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Ah ok so I wasn't going nuts!
    Never!

... when he was first asked by the media about his interest in the Norf job, the team's form was a lot more precarious than it currently is.
    Fair point

Our favourite reporter DB said on SEN that he’s never known Liam Pickering (Horse’s manager) ever give anything to the media about someone he manages until this week.

Barratt sees it as a blatant attempt to put pressure on the Swans.

Which to me means his goal is 100% to expedite and improve the offer from the Swans NOT get him to North.

Yes I heard that too. I think he is certainly pushing the Swans to act quickly with a big, long term offer.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Presumably the Swans know that too. Could be a game of chicken going on

Paul Roos has weighed in today, saying a similar thing

Category: | Herald Sun

Sydney’s 2005 premiership coach Roos, who handed the reins over to Longmire after the 2010 season as part of a textbook succession plan, can’t see any substance to the speculation.

“I don’t think it’s a story internally at the Sydney Swans ... I suspect John will stay and it’s probably a bit about nothing. Maybe it (Pickering’s confirmation) inflames the situation a little bit but from what I hear from Sydney, I think they’re pretty confident John will stay. Things probably haven’t changed too much in reality.”

Roos believed cash wouldn’t be the deciding factor for Longmire or any of North’s targets. “I don’t think anybody in the AFL has ever really changed clubs for money. Player or coach,” he said.
    Roos added the Swans wouldn’t be surprised or concerned by North’s approach.