Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse

I am a Longmire fan and didn’t really think it likely that he would leave, but his interview on AFL360 eroded that confidence somewhat.

If he is trying to sow the seeds of doubt in order to get a better contract with the Swans, he is doing a very good job (but why would he need to?).

There is also a difference between refusing to comment and being purposefully provocative. Perhaps he just likes taking the piss with the media, but when a coach who is contracted for 2020 is asked where he will be next year and responds with, “Well, we’ll have to wait and see”, it should ring alarm bells.

The funny thing is that Robbo responds at the end with - “I think you are staying at Sydney, John”, (which seemed a bizarre assessment to me), to which Longmire responds with, “You can come up with whatever you like” (as if Robbo missed the cue).

He also had a Freudian slip at one point and said he was “absolutely contracted to the Nor... Sydney Swans Football Club...”.

Did anyone else catch it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I am a Longmire fan and didn’t really think it likely that he would leave, but his interview on AFL360 eroded that confidence somewhat.

If he is trying to sow the seeds of doubt in order to get a better contract with the Swans, he is doing a very good job (but why would he need to?).

There is also a difference between refusing to comment and being purposefully provocative. Perhaps he just likes taking the piss with the media, but when a coach who is contracted for 2020 is asked where he will be next year and responds with, “Well, we’ll have to wait and see”, it should ring alarm bells.

The funny thing is that Robbo responds at the end with - “I think you are staying at Sydney, John”, (which seemed a bizarre assessment to me), to which Longmire responds with, “You can come up with whatever you like” (as if Robbo missed the cue).

He also had a Freudian slip at one point and said he was “absolutely contracted to the Nor... Sydney Swans Football Club...”.

The Hun picked it up

Category: | Herald Sun

Has John Longmire accidentally revealed where he will coach next year? Stumbling through an awkward live interview, the in-demand Sydney coach had a Freudian slip of the tongue that might have given an insight into his future.

Senior Player

All Longmire did was stick to a club policy of not commenting on contracts. Once you get sucked into those conversations, it opens Pandora's box. Good policy. Swans sticking to own policy and timeline. Nothing to see here.

Yes I saw it. Robbo at the end of the show changed his mind again saying he now thinks Longmire will be at North next year. This was leading the story to OTC which followed immediately after & the panel were confused with John's responses tonight. Roos still thinks Longmire will be at Sydney next year as he thinks it would be illogical for him to move at this stage & will still be well paid. However he's not as confident as previous after seeing Horse's evasive responses tonight, unless Horse, Pridam & Harley all agreed the coaching contract will not be discussed with the media in any way.

No doubt it will also get a run on FC later tonight.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Yes I saw it. Robbo at the end of the show changed his mind again saying he now thinks Longmire will be at North next year. This was leading the story to OTC which followed immediately after & the panel were confused with John's responses tonight. Roos still thinks Longmire will be any Sydney next year as he thinks it would be illogical for him to move at this stage & will still be well paid. However he's not as confident as previous after seeing Horse's evasive responses tonight, unless Horse, Pridam & Harley all agreed the coaching contract will not be discussed with the media in any way.

No doubt it will also get a run on FC later tonight.
    Club policy not to comment on any contract

Yes I saw it. Robbo at the end of the show changed his mind again saying he now thinks Longmire will be at North next year.
    I wonder if someone tapped him on the shoulder and asked him if he had trouble seeing the forest for the trees?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Nothing to see here.
    That’s the problem. Longmire had the opportunity to make the coaching question a “nothing to see here” issue, but he went down a different path.

I don’t think the club would be happy with the interview.

Tom Morris OTC just replayed Liam Pickering making same Freudian slip on radio 6 years ago when answering questions about Buddy's future at the time, saying he thinks Buddy would be at the Swa...Hawks next year. It drew laughs. Healy thinks Longmire is posturing & will be at the Swans next year. Brown & Lyon are not so sure.

Senior Player
    That’s the problem. Longmire had the opportunity to make the coaching question a “nothing to see here” issue, but he went down a different path.

I don’t think the club would be happy with the interview.
    He has already said he was contracted to the Swans for next year. It's not his job to announce an extension. Club and him will handle it at their own pace. One of the strengths of the club is ignoring external forces and sticking to its brand and systems

- - - Updated - - -

Tom Morris OTC just replayed Liam Pickering making same Freudian slip on radio 6 years ago when answering questions about Buddy's future at the time, saying he thinks Buddy would be at the Swa...Hawks next year. It drew laughs. Healy thinks Longmire is posturing & will be at the Swans next year. Brown & Lyon are not so sure.
    Roos also said Longmire would be in Sydney
    Lyon and Brown would have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    He has already said he was contracted to the Swans for next year.
    That was then. This is now.

Even if there is no chance that Longmire is leaving at the end of the year, the club wouldn’t be happy. That sort of interview has the potential to disrupt potential trades, sponsors and confidence of current players.

Senior Player
    That was then. This is now.

Even if there is no chance that Longmire is leaving at the end of the year, the club wouldn’t be happy. That sort of interview has the potential to disrupt potential trades, sponsors and confidence of current players.
    Disagree. Wouldn't cause much of a ripple in Sydney re sponsors. Situation will be resolved before trade period.and team playing passionately despite ongoing speculation in Melbourne nuffy media.

TBH i wasn't alarmed when I saw Horse's ENTIRE interview live on afl360, as I would've been surprised if he had changed his evasive stance on the matter as I'm of the opinion he's deliberately posturing & also club policy not to discuss publicly. Horse also enthusiastically stated how blessed the club is with great emerging young talent via Beatson's skilful recruiting. That response in itself gave me heart Horse will be signing a contract extension with us in the near future. I just hope it doesn't further delay pending player contracts, which is why I was also happy Dawson committed for another 2 years last week. I like to think it points to Horse staying.