Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    As Longmire has now acknowledged this is a development year, I'm happy to let him see out his contract which expires at the end of next year. This should be enough time to judge whether his development strategy is bearing fruit and make call to continue or replace him as head coach. I also think our coaching panel has too many P platers & could do with a Senior Assistant from elsewhere, as Stuart Dew wasn't adequately replaced.

I did hear during the preseason from an unconfirmed source that Longmire's game plan was becoming on the nose with some players. Right now, I think our skill levels aren't good or consistent enough to execute any sort of game plan. Horse is no Winx but is a stayer!
    So his new monika after he surpasses P. Roos is:

Makybe Diva

Or just MD

Veterans List
    We are all a bit sad and down in the dumps with how this year is progressing so we need something to cheer us up.....and a reminder of what we can do when the 'collective' gets it right. What a team we had seven years ago!

SwansTV: Premiership - The Director's cut - YouTube .....It's spine tingling.

Enjoy.....and keep the faith. We shall rise again.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 30th April 2019 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I don't like it when the camera pans up to the coaches box and he's talking but he has his hand up over his mouth so we can't lip read.
    He drops the F bomb quite a bit - doesn't like getting busted doing it by the cameras.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    What a team we had seven years ago!
    Yep a champion team, not a single high priced superstar recruit to be seen.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Some different views to the horse whipping:

‘Even with the start Sydney have had this year, it speaks volumes about what John Longmire has achieved in his 202 games in charge that the chairman of his club wants him there for the long haul.’

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...03-p51jpx.html

Thanks for sharing this. J. Longmire can stick around, he’s a good coach and a hellava good bloke.

I don't believe the issue is Longmire, but I do think there is a problem with the Swans...and it is upper management. If you look at the consistently excellent sports franchises, they have one thing in common...solid ownership (or management, depending on the structure of the league). And I do fear that there has been a change in the Swan's culture in the last five year or so. As I wrote once before, it seems there motto is "go along to get along." When I read about articles covering the Victorian and Perth teams, there is consistent coverage and analysis of the teams and the game....what is wrong with the team; how the team performed or underperformed; etc. And there is a huge amount of internal criticism. But when I read about the Swans, the vast majority is about non-football issues... how they are hosting another Pride game; angst about Eddie O's comments about a disabled supporter; etc. I am not saying those things aren't important...they are...but they must be secondary to football. I am left with the impression that the Swans are far more interested in social issues, inclusion and other issues of, let's face it, marketing, then the product. And I understand why...AFL is big business like other sports; the fans in NSW seem to be a lot less demanding and they want to make as much money as possible.

But it would be nice to have management stand up and call out the league when the umpires are incompetent. I will forever believe the 2016 Grand Final was deliberately tarnished. I don't believe the AFL had anything against the Swans, per se. But I DO believe that the story of the Bulldogs drought, coupled with an international superstar like Thor giving the sport worldwide exposure, made it a foregone conclusion the Bulldogs would win. The AFL had stars and dollar signs in their eyes and there is no way the three umpires selected performed as poorly as they did by a fluke. And apart from minor grumbling, our management did NOTHING and said NOTHING. They just took it for the "good and growth of the game" and meanwhile, they named a whole stadium after Marvel and got to dress up like Thor to play the Swans this year. Totally a coincidence, I am sure...

Nobody demanded a cup of coffee with Gil (or dared call out Gil for having a private cup o' joe with another team's coach during the season.) Commissioners have been fired for less (i.e. see the Canadian Football League). They take away COLA, the Swans take it. They give out a trade ban, the Swans take it. Where is our management making public statements to hold the AFL accountable? If I was the CEO (thank heavens for us all I am not), I would make a public statement that this is why the NRL is the dominant sport in NSW and how there is a vast market of millions of people they are throwing away.

The Swans are rebuilding, whether they want to admit it or not. This is natural and the way sports leagues should work. And I believe John has done a really good job at spotting talent and creating a system that was a winning one in the past. But now, like the NBA did years ago, the league has decided to change that system that forces teams to adapt and that is very hard to do when your personnel was created for the former system. This year and next will be tough but there are a lot of bright spots. I absolutely support the Buddy signing, even though it brought down the wrath of the AFL, and we would have that premiership but for the insane circumstances of 2016...is there anything Disney doesn't ruin? I understand the complaints Longmire is slow to evolve, but he was still using the players designed for the less free-flowing game. It is next to impossible to change to game-altering modifications quickly when you have players under contract based on the old system. For those who want a different coach, who would you truly replace him with? Who would really do a better job with the players on this team? After all, look at Clarkson and the Hawks...they are better than the Swans, but it isn't like they are setting the world on fire...

I think this thread could be relabelled The Knackery

Great post US swan. Add in the weak support of Goode's booing. Take a stand, march the team off. It's only 4 points.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Great post US swan. Add in the weak support of Goode's booing. Take a stand, march the team off. It's only 4 points.
    And the club would suffer even more punishment from a vindictive power hungry AFL. Club's reactions to all of US Swan's issues have been rational, given the massive power imbalance and the ensuing consequences. Very bitter pill to have to swallow but alternative much much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Some different views to the horse whipping:

‘Even with the start Sydney have had this year, it speaks volumes about what John Longmire has achieved in his 202 games in charge that the chairman of his club wants him there for the long haul.’

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...03-p51jpx.html
    Yes, there does seem to be a lack of recognition of John's great achievement, in breaking the Swans all time coaching record. And making the finals in all of those seasons. And it's interesting that the two coaches below him on the list, are Roos and Eade. Which emphasises to me, that we modern fans are living in a Swans golden era. Which makes some of the more over the top criticism, sound a touch spoilt and petulant, to me.

Watched his interview after the game - he appeared to be very nervous and for the length of the interview really did not say much at all.
    Last edited by Swanny40519; 5th May 2019 at 11:58 AM.

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast