Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Agree, sounds to me like he is ready for the change. Good timing all round.

He's been a fabulous coach for us, but 18 years at the 1 club is a long time.
    I'm mixed in this one. Horse has given great service to our club and I wouldn't begrudge him wanting to do something new. I'm also excited with the way he has been able to adapt mid-season and turn things around.

If we do lose him, maybe the Swans can have a co-coaching role (just joking), but I'd be happy with Shaw, or even bringing back Roos if was up for it. McVeigh needs to slot in somewhere too. Interesting times ahead.

After 18 yrs it wouldn't be the end if the world
    He could have shut all this down alike Clarko and Simpson did but he didnt, i said about 3 months ago we are in a bidding war

Not sure winning 3 if the last 5 is rejuvenating either, everyone us carrying on like we are the team to beat, i went into the season thinking we would play finals, here we are a sneaky possibility after 15rds and everyone is lauding Horse ?
    I said a few months ago we dont want to jump early like Freo did and end up extending a coach that cant put 70pts on the scoreboard with an outdated gamestyle
    We can play hard ball and make north give up something to release him or it could drag out a bit more and Shaw can keep winning.
    I say give us Goldy, pay half his wage and then we release Horse

On the veteran's list
    His manager was on SEN this morning and said there has been no North offer and they are in negotiations with Sydney and there's plenty of time because he's still got 18 months left on his present contract. In his words "There's nothing to see here."
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

If you were in negotiations over a new contract and you had the leverage of another, better offer, you would be mad to say publicly you weren’t interested in it.

The minute he says I’m not going to take Norths offer he’s lost all leverage.

Paul Roos said people never move clubs for financial reasons it’s always football. And i genuinely believe it’s an exciting time at the club. I can’t remember us having such a talented list or such hope for the future as right now.

There’s not one sign of staleness or disinterest at the moment

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Would be sad to see Horse leave as he's been magnificent for us as an assistant and head coach and so much of our success is due to him.

However, I have complete faith that the brains trust of our club would get the best person for the job should Horse decide to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    His manager was on SEN this morning and said there has been no North offer and they are in negotiations with Sydney and there's plenty of time because he's still got 18 months left on his present contract. In his words "There's nothing to see here."
    Exactly what you would expect Pickers to say if Horse is going to North.

Veterans List
    If he is going to North then it won't be revealed whilst we are still in contention for finals. I don't know what to make of the responses but what I do know is that Horse has a contract with us for another season and a half.

I doubt there's ever been a coach jump ship with such a talented list developing?

If you want to take the emotional context out of it, think of it this way...

Horse has as much chance of staying with the Swans, as Coniglio has of staying with the Giants.

Both camps are basically saying and doing the same thing right now.
    So ask yourself, if you think Coniglio will leave for more $$$ at a weaker team, then Horse will too probably.

I wonder if we would look at Ryhce Shaw. ?

My biggest fear IF Horse decides to take the North offer is that he'll take John Blakey with him, bringing strong overtures to lure young Nick in the coming years & all the media speculations that goes with it.

It's interesting to look at people's thoughts about Longmire over the years. In 2010 & 2011 he couldn't coach and needed to be sacked. Then for a few years after 2012 he was the best in the business. But for the past couple of years he's been stuck in the past with an outdated game plan that didn't work, and no ability to adapt. Now, since May he's back to being one of the best around.

I guess there's a reason coaches don't pay too much attention to what people are saying.

One attractive thing about the North job is that they actually have an underlying culture of winning against the odds.

Compare that to the Carlton or Melbourne coaching jobs where it would be a political mine field. (I know Mlebourne coach is not open at the moment).

One of the things I admire about the Swans (and credit Longmire for) is the low number of suspensions and fines the team get.
    I’d love to see a table with the cumulative $ and weeks by team.
    I rocket we would be at the bottom.