Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I supported the club back in the 80's and 90's when winning was not even a dream, and I attended all those games along with a couple of thousand people.

But I am now in my late 70's and getting to the SGC on a colder Friday night watching 22 players running around with little idea of what they are supposed to be doing, playing very un-attractive football is not a great incentive.
    You've done your bit Swanny. Over to the younger supporters who have pretty much known nothing but success. If I lived in Sydney, I'd still get out to every game, bugger the inconvenience and crap play. The team has given me and my kids so much joy over the winter, it would still be worth it!

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    Spot on 007.

But I am now in my late 70's and getting to the SGC on a colder Friday night watching 22 players running around with little idea of what they are supposed to be doing, playing very un-attractive football is not a great incentive.
    If that is the case, Swanny, then my comment is not directed at you. Obviously you have paid your dues (and much more). I am about to turn 70 myself, and watched South get smashed week after week in Melbourne. My comment was aimed at people who found the Swans around the turn of this century and are ready to bail out because for the first time in their "barracking career" they are not on the winning side.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Let's say, hypothetically, that Horse is moved on like a lot of people would want. Who would be the gettable/available coach that we would replace him with?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    In The Guardian article that was quoted in another thread, the author threw up the idea that our slip down the ladder would determine whether large numbers of Swans supporters could be termed "fair weather supporters". Unfortunately, I'm starting to see the answer materialise before my eyes.

The players need support when they are struggling, not when they're smashing everyone. If you're willing to high-five and feel part of the club when it's winning, you're MORALLY bound to be part of the club when they're are losing.
    I doubt we are any more fair weather than supporters of most clubs. Melbourne V Hawthorn had 29000 and I reckon half were Melbourne. So what has happened to the mobs of Hawthorn supporters. They are staying away in droves. Our problem is if our supporters drop off in Sydney will we ever get them back? The older Melbourne based Swans supporters will stick with the club until the day they die. This is not to say the hard core Sydney supporters wont stick fat but I bet the GWS fan base starts to expand rapidly if we stay in the cellar for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    As far a review goes! I have never read anything so absolutely ridiculous. Honestly, sometimes I read this forum and think I have somehow clicked a link to the Carlton site in the 1990's. The swans have had a great run over two decades and my greatest wish is that this run continues for ever. But it is not our God-given right to play finals every year. We don't need a review to destabilise the most admired club in the competition just because we couldn't sustain our run, which most critics believe should have finished years ago.
    My point BC is that the Swans list management has been poor.

And we are not performing as well as other clubs in getting the best from the list we have. Whilst I get your points about all those ex-Swans, for whatever reason, other clubs are getting more from players than we are. Rohan is playing better at Geelong than he ever did at Sydney at any point in his career. He was dropped last year.

I don't see why we should accept that state of affairs and not question it.

What harm can a review do? If things are perfect as you imply, then nothing will need to change. But the 2017 Premier and 2018 runner up both benefitted from reviews. As I believe did the Mark Thompson led Geelong powerhouse of the late 2000s. In none of those cases was the head coach sacked!

Veterans List
    Hearing JL's presser and him interviewed on the radio today, he sounds hesitant and reading between the lines bereft of answers/solutions.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Hearing JL's presser and him interviewed on the radio today, he sounds hesitant and reading between the lines bereft of answers/solutions.
    Listened to the presser and agree. He even recognised he was repeating himself by saying, effectively, that 'we need pressure over four quarters, we need to back words with actions'. There was little comfort he knew how to improve performance besides the players responding to his urging to play better. His response to Rohan's comments was unconvincing too.

It led me to reflect on Pridham's recent 'job for life' comments, on Harley's off-season moves, and on their respective predecessors imbuing me with far more confidence.

On the veteran's list
    Oh for goodness sake we're psychologists now, are we? He's probably just sick and tired of being asked the same inane stupid uninformed questions.

For those who didn't read at the weekend, Of the coaches having coached 200 games, Longmire is third on the all time list behind Jock McHale and Dick Reynolds.

But of course people on here know footy better

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Listened to the presser and agree. He even recognised he was repeating himself by saying, effectively, that 'we need pressure over four quarters, we need to back words with actions'. There was little comfort he knew how to improve performance besides the players responding to his urging to play better. His response to Rohan's comments was unconvincing too.

It led me to reflect on Pridham's recent 'job for life' comments, on Harley's off-season moves, and on their respective predecessors imbuing me with far more confidence.
    What do you expect to say? That he's found the magic bullet hiding at the bottom of the kit bag and everything will be different this week?

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Let's say, hypothetically, that Horse is moved on like a lot of people would want. Who would be the gettable/available coach that we would replace him with?
    I posed that question in a game thread, no answer. If you are calling for the coach to be replaced then there needs to be a suitable candidate available.

Brendan Bolton could be available at the end of the year...
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    What do you expect to say? That he's found the magic bullet hiding at the bottom of the kit bag and everything will be different this week?
    Spot on, as usual Liz. We have actually been in rebuild mode since 2016, probably should have won the flag that year with a vastly different team to 2012. We now have 10 first choice players out injured, and several players sadly “done” (Kieran Jack), badly out of form after not playing for a long period (Reid, Melican, Mills) or playing injured (Parker, Heeney). The young guys are trying, but they aren’t going to suddenly learn to play against seasoned AFL campaigners in a few weeks. Our usual tactic of introducing youth with an experienced cohort around them is thus not viable at present.
    In terms of list management, I would argue the loss of Nankervis is as great as any. Especially given we do not have anyone with “presence” around the packs. Nothing like making the opposition think twice.

Veterans List
    He is sounding a bit cliched and repetitive these days.....maybe he has no answers but that's where decent 'experienced' assistant coaches would help out. A commodity we don't really have.....

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast