Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse

I don’t begrudge him leaving for more money. The point I was making is that Horse wasn’t holding him back regarding his football and obviously wanted him in the team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I don’t begrudge him leaving for more money. The point I was making is that Horse wasn’t holding him back regarding his football and obviously wanted him in the team.
    I think he definitely left for more $$$$, but I don't think anyone other than his inner circle could comment on whether Horse's coaching also contributed.

Yes he was a guaranteed starter each week, but we don't know for example if he wanted more game time in the centre square and was offered that by the Hawks, he felt that he wasn't treated fairly, or there was a personality clash. That kind of thing happens all of the time in football clubs.

It's all just supposition and I don't think we'll ever really find out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I think he definitely left for more $$$$, but I don't think anyone other than his inner circle could comment on whether Horse's coaching also contributed.

Yes he was a guaranteed starter each week, but we don't know for example if he wanted more game time in the centre square and was offered that by the Hawks, he felt that he wasn't treated fairly, or there was a personality clash. That kind of thing happens all of the time in football clubs.

It's all just supposition and I don't think we'll ever really find out.
    I've always summised that it was mostly opportunity that persuade Tom to move. I know you can't believe everything (or even much) of what you read on in the internet, but the figures that were suggested the Hawks offered weren't that large. Probably larger than the Swans' offer to him but not obscenely so. I was actually a little surprised that another club, like the Saints or Carlton, didn't step in and make a far more substantial offer (with the room they must have had in their cap) once he delayed re-signing and it became apparent he was gettable.

Tom was clearly an established player in the Swans team but he wasn't getting much time onball. A lot of his minutes were spent on a wing, or at half-forward. To put that in context, he was competing with three players who would earn AA selection in 2016, plus someone like Jack whose pace, two-way running and defensive capabilities (back then) distinguished him from the plod squad, of which Tom was certainly a member.

The Hawks had a huge hole in the on ball division following the departures of Sam Mitchell and Lewis, so were able to offer Tom the chance to be the key linch pin in their midfield. His subsequent performances reflect that opportunity.

As for a personality clash with Longmire, I've never heard or read anything to suggest that. But a combination of things - body language between the two, Longmire's reserved press match comments when asked about Tom, AFLCA votes, the offhand tone of comments from Tom about the Swans since he left - make me suspect that there may not have been the warmth or mutual admiration between them that John seems to share with a great many of the players on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Whispers around the Murray where Horse grew up are that a mutual decision has already been made and Horse is heading back to Victoria next year

Not sure how reputable the rumours are (or whether locals are just parroting media reports) but have now heard from multiple sources
    During the preseason I heard rumour Longmire's game plan was getting on the nose with players and that he would be at Carlton next year. I dismissed it as being so ridiculous that I didn't bother posting it and fearing it might generate needless angst if I did. I was reminded of this rumour again this week with our poor start to the season and the media pressure on Bolton's position. I still think it's ridiculous, coupled with Pridham's desire extending Longmire's contract beyond 2020.
    Last edited by KSAS; 9th May 2019 at 12:57 PM.

Liz, you could be right and we’ll never know. However, playing alongside Buddy in our forward line wouldn’t be too shabby!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    This is probably worth a read:

The problem with Sydney: John Longmire talks to Damian Barrett - AFL.com.au

Strange strange article. Looks like stuff cut and pasted from various Longmire press conferences!

This might be the only worthwhile bit.

Longmire: "We made decisions to trade out, to look at youth like McInerney and Rowbottom, to give those kids a chance, but what we didn't anticipate was the unavailability of those experienced players. That has exaggerated the challenge."
    I read this too. The quoted Longmire comments are just his standard presser comments. None of his comments gave us supporters anything in addition to what we already know. What is insightful for me is that the AFL press gallery is now starting to write more about the Swans position this year. I don't recall any media figure talking about a Swans wooden spoon in 2017; they certainly are writing about it now. Agree with Markwebbos that it is a strange article - along the lines of 'how can we possibly be talking Swans and wooden spoon in the same sentence'. Barrett shows distinct respect for a team that has remained in finals contention for almost 20 years despite equalisation policies, trade bans, COLA termination, etc.

I couldn’t see one quote that indicated an interview between Barrett and Longmire had taken place.

Weird!

Wayne Carey pondering the Swans list and Horse's future, amongst other things. I wonder if he spoke to Horse about any of it?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/why...09-p51lks.html

"the Swans might just be the best 1-6 side in AFL history - if you don’t count the team that played finals two years ago, after being winless through six rounds."

"For just the second time in 16 years, they should be on holiday in September. But, with the talent on their list, I have no doubt they can rebound quickly."

"it’ll be interesting to see what the club’s personnel changes will mean for Longmire and his game plan, should he stay at the helm"

"... we’ve seen over the past few weeks they’ve been trying things, and like Chris Scott has at Geelong I think "Horse" will adapt to the cattle he has on the park."

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    What is insightful for me is that the AFL press gallery is now starting to write more about the Swans position this year. I don't recall any media figure talking about a Swans wooden spoon in 2017; they certainly are writing about it now.
    I can think of a few valid reasons for that:

- we were coming off a grand final appearance, and it's generally accepted that teams that go deep into finals might take a while to get going the following year, especially if they have numerous important players that require patching up over the summer. We had several of our best in that category - certainly Franklin (who always needs a good service over summer), Hanners recuperating from his knee and then the subsequent onset of soft-tissue injuries. (Back then it occurred to anyone how long term his problems would prove to be). Parker, too, suffered a knee injury (I think) during the finals campaign and was in rehab for much of the summer. It was probably assumed that these players would hit their straps in time.

- in addition to key players still finding match fitness, we had a number missing through injury - Rampe, Heeney are two off the top of my head but I remember the youth of the side we were putting on the park being acknowledged. The teams we have put out this year have probably been younger but the perception (probably accurate) is that there aren't reinforcements due back any time, unlike in 2017.

- although we didn't win any of the first six games in 2017, my recollection is that we were a bit more competitive than we have been this year, at least in four of the six games. We did get very soundly beaten by GWS and the Eagles but the other games were reasonably close. In contrast this year, aside from the Carlton game that we won, there was only one game where I still thought we were some chance of winning halfway through the final quarter, namely the Crows game. Maybe the Dogs game too, at a pinch. But even though we haven't been punished too harshly on the scoreboard this year (apart from the late flurry of largely arsey goals that the Giants kicked), we have been soundly beaten around the ground in most aspects of the game, maybe not for the whole of games but certainly for extended periods.

- we really don't have anyone of any experience running around in our NEAFL team to come into the team. Even those players that we NEAFL watchers think are physically ready for senior footy - COR, maybe Rose, maybe, at a pinch, Cameron - have played very few senior games between them, let alone individually.

I do think we will eventually improve as this season wears on, and I don't think we will finish in the bottom couple (unless we have more injuries pile on top of those we already have), but I can see why a wooden spoon is viewed as a possibility this year when it wasn't in 2017. And the team did manage to prove that the first six rounds of 2017 were something of an anomaly by qualifying for the finals.

Regular in the Side
    I've got to say I'm impressed with the attitude, spirit and effort of the team over the last few weeks.
    It looks like Longmire has the players in a good frame of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    I've got to say I'm impressed with the attitude, spirit and effort of the team over the last few weeks.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    Spirit is exactly what came to mind for me watching the last 3 weeks. Is it since horse has moved to the bench ? Maybe the personal touch , who knows, but credit where frost is due , he has got these youngsters playing their guts out and improving consistently . Onya John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast