Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think it implies "End of story."
    Watching the actual press conference, is different to reading the Twitter headline. Horse really just give nothing away about almost anything for the full 10 & a half minutes. He does it with patience, good grace and a smile. Keeps the journos happy while giving them almost nothing.

No idea what’s going on in his head, but more content about the situation after watching the presser in its entirety

Senior Player

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Watching the actual press conference, is different to reading the Twitter headline. Horse really just give nothing away about almost anything for the full 10 & a half minutes. He does it with patience, good grace and a smile. Keeps the journos happy while giving them almost nothing.

No idea what’s going on in his head, but more content about the situation after watching the presser in its entirety
    Some pretty gormless questioning here. I agree, hard to get a read. He could have put it to bed with a categorical statement, but didn't need to and it's not his style.

Key quotes: John Longmire - sydneyswans.com.au

On the veteran's list
    Horse would be mad to come out and say "I'm totally committed to the Swans until they decide my time's up." He's got extension talks coming up. Every player manager uses the "swans are interested" line to boost contract terms, and I'm sure Liam Pickering will use the "North is interested" line to boost the amount of hay that is put in Horse's nosebag.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    If we got either of the Scott brothers that would be goodbye to the Swans from me. I'm trying to think of someone worse, maybe Hird. I'd like Dew or Kirk maybe, eventually.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    If we got either of the Scott brothers that would be goodbye to the Swans from me. I'm trying to think of someone worse, maybe Hird. I'd like Dew or Kirk maybe, eventually.
    I still reckon they're hanging out for McVeigh.

I reckon the club is perfectly happy with Longmire. As Harley says, he has the most winning record of any coach currently coaching. I didn't realise that was the case but how much more vindication do you need? The club's future/succession planning involves contracting John further into the future. If he weren't willing to commit, then they might start working on Plan B. But while he's willing to stay they've no need to. We're in good hands.

Incidentally, I thought Horse coached very well on the weekend and had a big say in it being a close game. After managing to win the first quarter, a feat no other team had achieved against the Pies all year, the Pies changed their approach in the second quarter. For a while they were controlling the play and using a lot of short kicks. Then Horse responded and got the game going more on our terms again (Grundy notwithstanding). Ultimately we weren't seasoned and experienced enough to hold out, especially after losing JPK and Hewett, but excellent effort by players AND coaches to come so close.

Senior Player
    A simple "no" would have implied end of story

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I reckon the club is perfectly happy with Longmire. As Harley says, he has the most winning record of any coach currently coaching. I didn't realise that was the case but how much more vindication do you need? The club's future/succession planning involves contracting John further into the future. If he weren't willing to commit, then they might start working on Plan B. But while he's willing to stay they've no need to. We're in good hands.

Incidentally, I thought Horse coached very well on the weekend and had a big say in it being a close game. After managing to win the first quarter, a feat no other team had achieved against the Pies all year, the Pies changed their approach in the second quarter. For a while they were controlling the play and using a lot of short kicks. Then Horse responded and got the game going more on our terms again (Grundy notwithstanding). Ultimately we weren't seasoned and experienced enough to hold out, especially after losing JPK and Hewett, but excellent effort by players AND coaches to come so close.
    Chris Scott disagrees

Unless lolnorf make an offer he can't refuse.

Swans: just match anything North offers and increase by 10%.
    We don’t want anyone else especially a Scott.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Swans: just match anything North offers and increase by 10%.
    We don’t want anyone else especially a Scott.
    Isn't there a salary cap on the coaching department? So we may be restricted on what we can offer. I can't recall if the cap still exists because I remember Eddie complaining about it, so he may have got his way and it's been removed.

Veterans List
    John Longmire took over a ready made quality team and now is working towards building another. Can't see why he would be attracted to a basket case like North. I would doubt we would release him from his contract, and North won't be about to appoint an interim coach for 12 months, waiting for him to be out of contract. I suspect they already have an eye on someone.