Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 7 Weekly Discussion Thread

#AFL Round 7 Weekly Discussion Thread

This doesn't seem to exist yet but if I'm not mistaken it is round 7.

I only wanted to say that I feel like Hawthorn's 'scratchy' season reminds me of ours last year. They might scrape into the 8, but they are about to have to seriously regenerate their team and may well, like us this year, fall down the ladder in seasons to come.

Tonight's match should be a good one!

Sunday's matches should be good tussles too.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    This doesn't seem to exist yet but if I'm not mistaken it is round 7.

I only wanted to say that I feel like Hawthorn's 'scratchy' season reminds me of ours last year. They might scrape into the 8, but they are about to have to seriously regenerate their team and may well, like us this year, fall down the ladder in seasons to come.
    That will be a big about face for their current strategy which is heavily relying on poaching established players.
    The fall could be long and painful.
    Good.

Wayne Carey has a similar thought

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...02-p51jfw.html

Hawthorn have gone down a very deliberate path in recent years, in a bid to stay relevant when it comes to September. They’ve traded for mature-aged players Tom Mitchell, Jaeger O’Meara, Chad Wingard and Tom Scully, among others.

While it’s hard to argue with their results, would the current group be good enough to win the premiership, even if Mitchell was fit? I don’t think so. It can be dangerous to hover around the 6-10 mark on the ladder for any period of time in terms of draft picks and your draw.

Because the Hawks finished in the top four last year, do they believe they deserve another crack at a flag with this group? Fourth spot probably flattered them and their straight-sets exit from September showed they were still some way off the best teams...

[there’s lots more it’s worth a read]

Veterans List
    I see Harry Marsh's younger brother Jonathon Marsh is playing his first game for St Kilda this weekend, after retiring from the AFL for mental health reasons three years ago as a Collingwood player.

He played fifteen games for the Magpies. After retiring, he got treatment and got his head right, eventually returning to the game in WA before being eventually drafted by the Saints.

Great effort and good luck to him....

.....and Go Swans!!

Veterans List
    Collingwood easy over Port......gee Darcy Moore is good. I was one who hoped we wouldn't get him when there was talk of it over the summer but I've changed my mind on him. He's a gun.

Veterans List
    I have to say, the scenes on Seven after the match, involving a young Magpie fan called Kyran and his Dad were just brilliant. The kid has been diagnosed with a terminal illness I'm assuming (I missed the details) and the he and his family were guests of the Magpies.

He tossed the coin before the match, they chaired him off at the end (his Dad was crying) and the way the players got around he and his Dad during and after the club song was absolutely 'tear up' material.

Cudos to Treloar, who has taken the young lad under his wing so to speak and to Collingwood (can't believe I just said that!)......footy clubs can be really great sometimes.

Think he’s been with the club all week

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Collingwood easy over Port......gee Darcy Moore is good. I was one who hoped we wouldn't get him when there was talk of it over the summer but I've changed my mind on him. He's a gun.
    I knew he would be and was really strong at the time in my disappointment that we didn't close the deal. He will be the best tall defender in the league in a year or 2. He is one that would have been a huge win for us, andveven sweeter taking him from the Magpies...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have to say, the scenes on Seven after the match, involving a young Magpie fan called Kyran and his Dad were just brilliant. The kid has been diagnosed with a terminal illness I'm assuming (I missed the details) and the he and his family were guests of the Magpies.

He tossed the coin before the match, they chaired him off at the end (his Dad was crying) and the way the players got around he and his Dad during and after the club song was absolutely 'tear up' material.

Cudos to Treloar, who has taken the young lad under his wing so to speak and to Collingwood (can't believe I just said that!)......footy clubs can be really great sometimes.
    Didn’t see it , read about it in the press.
    Puts footy in the shade. Teary stuff.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

I, too, have trouble complimenting Collingwood, Stevo, but what the club did for Kyran and his family was truly magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    I knew he would be and was really strong at the time in my disappointment that we didn't close the deal. He will be the best tall defender in the league in a year or 2. He is one that would have been a huge win for us, andveven sweeter taking him from the Magpies...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Darcy Moore interviewed by Mick McGuane in the Hun this week

Category: | Herald Sun

The relevant bit:

MM: Fact or fiction: were you in talks with the Sydney Swans last year?

DM: Not really, to be honest. I didn’t really have much room in my head for anything other than my body last year so that was really my main focus.

Veterans List
    Dees in a thriller over the Hawks....they're off the bottom now. We'd better win today....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast