Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Team Changes for Round VIII v Bombers

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The Swans and Horse have been ruthless where necessary. Dropping Pebbles and playing Goodes as sub until he volunteered to play NEAFL are a couple of examples. Cutting Tippett, Hanners and Rohan last year was another example of ruthlessness. And, I would argue, making players earn their games (Mitchell, Aliir, Dawson, COR, Cameron etc) is yet another form of ruthlessness. We're not giving games away. We want the players to DEMAND a spot. I think this integrity is an important component of a strong club culture. I would wager that Kizza is not getting any free pass and his selection is on merit in one way or another. It certainly not in our interests to be giving him games otherwise. I'm sure the match committee isn't so daft as to think otherwise.
    This is his third consecutive season where he has been struggling for form so it's not like he's just had a couple of off days, I would argue that he has repeatedly been selected on reputation rather than merit given that as far as I can recall, he's never been dropped. He certainly hasn't demanded a spot for some time on form.

Since the beginning of 2018 he's had 2 games with more than 20 possessions and kicked a total of 10 goals. If you were to compare him with players in similar hybrid roles (Papeley 1 and 33 goals, Ronke 0 and 24 goals, Hayward 1 and 35 goals) he compares very poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    This is his third consecutive season where he has been struggling for form so it's not like he's just had a couple of off days, I would argue that he has repeatedly been selected on reputation rather than merit given that as far as I can recall, he's never been dropped. He certainly hasn't demanded a spot for some time on form.

Since the beginning of 2018 he's had 2 games with more than 20 possessions and kicked a total of 10 goals. If you were to compare him with players in similar hybrid roles (Papeley 1 and 33 goals, Ronke 0 and 24 goals, Hayward 1 and 35 goals) he compares very poorly.
    Good post, fair comparisons. Even still, I don't think Kizza's getting games on reputation. I think he's getting games for his leadership and game knowledge. I think you are underestimating the match committee - a group of people who were selected for their job becaues they're good at them, and who think about this stuff nearly 24/7 - if you think they haven't noticed Jack's had a couple of years of poor form and are being blinded by his "reputation". If we didn't have so little experience in our front half then I dare say he might be dropped, and he may yet be. But so far he still offers as much as Ronke and Wicks and Foot could in terms of performance (i.e. still no where near as much as we would like) and he can offer a lot more than them in other ways. Their time will come, if they're good enough. Jack also offers more defensively (although I note he hasn't been laying many tackles lately either).

Sinclair has been carrying our ruck for almost 2 years on his own. At some stage that will catch up with him. May as well play Cameron as at some stage Sinclair is going to go down and then big Darcy will have to stand up.
    I'd much rather Darcy does that with half a dozen games under his belt rather than just a solo under performing game V Gold Coast in 2018.

Also where would Kizza's main value be? As a battling first grader giving some leadership while struggling or running around in the 2s dominating showing our newbies how to go about it. I think he'd be way more valuable as captain of the ressies and coaching on the ground.
    I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!

Senior Player
    Good post, fair comparisons. Even still, I don't think Kizza's getting games on reputation. I think he's getting games for his leadership and game knowledge. I think you are underestimating the match committee - a group of people who were selected for their job becaues they're good at them, and who think about this stuff nearly 24/7 - if you think they haven't noticed Jack's had a couple of years of poor form and are being blinded by his "reputation". If we didn't have so little experience in our front half then I dare say he might be dropped, and he may yet be. But so far he still offers as much as Ronke and Wicks and Foot could in terms of performance (i.e. still no where near as much as we would like) and he can offer a lot more than them in other ways. Their time will come, if they're good enough. Jack also offers more defensively (although I note he hasn't been laying many tackles lately either).
    Thank bs, the reality is that its probably a grey situation rather than black or white.

To my mind I'd like to see Rose at least get given a chance as his form has been consistent at NEAFL for a while now and I get the feeling that it may have finally clicked for him.

I understand what you are saying about the match committee, I'm not arrogant (or deluded) enough to think that I know more than them, I'm sure they've got their reasons, but I've also been around football clubs (and other organisations for that matter!), and coaches/management etc. can play favourites, and miss stuff that outsiders can see. None of us can really know unless you're in the inner sanctum.

I'm kind of on the lets get a top 3 draft pick train now anyway so it probably doesn't really matter

Good points again.

For all my defence of Jack's selection, if the match committee dump him after tonight I'll back that decision to the hilt too. It's not often that I am prepared to disagree with them. It's not that I'm gutless or conservative, I just recognise I (in particular) have way less knowledge than the experts and our club has a good track record on the whole. Plus I'm conscious that they have access to information we don't about what is happening behind the scenes. For that matter it sounds like I have less knowledge than you too.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    In COR
    Out: Cunningham (inj).

Depending on which Essendon turns up, Swans are a very good chance at a win in this game.
    Good call Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Good call Barry.
    Haha +1

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Good points again.

For all my defence of Jack's selection, if the match committee dump him after tonight I'll back that decision to the hilt too. It's not often that I am prepared to disagree with them. It's not that I'm gutless or conservative, I just recognise I (in particular) have way less knowledge than the experts and our club has a good track record on the whole. Plus I'm conscious that they have access to information we don't about what is happening behind the scenes. For that matter it sounds like I have less knowledge than you too.
    I think your previous post regarding his experience is correct. That is his positive compared to the others.

I suspect when Menzel is fit, Jack will be dropped.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011