Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sam Naismith

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Depends upon what a team wants from their ruckman.
    I mean sure every team would like a Rolls Royce ruckman, someone that wins taps to advantage and contributes elsewhere on the field by gathering 20 possessions like an extra midfielder, taking 4+ contested marks and contributing close to a goal per game. But such ruckmen are extremely rare.

I think Geelong are of the opinion that their 5 star midfield does not require a ruckman that can give them first use of the ball (just so long as he stops his opponent from providing armchair service to their midfield). By accepting less at ruck contests they can use a player that is considerably more mobile than Smith and is more likely to be of greater utility around the ground.

On the other hand, presumably the Swans believe that above all else they need a ruckman that can give them first use of the ball, hence Naismith.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. Explains #Nankervisgate

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. Explains #Nankervisgate
    Is Naismith as good at the tap as we are all saying? It seriously has been so long since he's played I can't remember. I do remember him getting soundly beaten by McEvoy and Zac Smith though towards the pointy end of 2017.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Is Naismith as good at the tap as we are all saying? It seriously has been so long since he's played I can't remember. I do remember him getting soundly beaten by McEvoy and Zac Smith though towards the pointy end of 2017.
    Naismith beat McEvoy at the tap, and broke even with Smith - But he got towelled up around the ground, which is the problem with Naismith (and most "lamp-post" type ruckmen).
    So I guess the answer is yes he's good at the tap, but I honestly don't think that should be enough.

Senior Player
    Naismith beat McEvoy at the tap, and broke even with Smith - But he got towelled up around the ground, which is the problem with Naismith (and most "lamp-post" type ruckmen).
    So I guess the answer is yes he's good at the tap, but I honestly don't think that should be enough.
    He was more agile than you give him credit for. Question now is, can he get back to what he was. Must be doubtful.

Just wild about Harry
    Depends upon what a team wants from their ruckman.
    I mean sure every team would like a Rolls Royce ruckman, someone that wins taps to advantage and contributes elsewhere on the field by gathering 20 possessions like an extra midfielder, taking 4+ contested marks and contributing close to a goal per game. But such ruckmen are extremely rare.

I think Geelong are of the opinion that their 5 star midfield does not require a ruckman that can give them first use of the ball (just so long as he stops his opponent from providing armchair service to their midfield). By accepting less at ruck contests they can use a player that is considerably more mobile than Smith and is more likely to be of greater utility around the ground.

On the other hand, presumably the Swans believe that above all else they need a ruckman that can give them first use of the ball, hence Naismith.
    I'm guessing you haven't seen much of Stanley this year? He is a MUCH improved player over his previous years and is currently rated ahead of Gawn and behind only Brodie in most stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I'm guessing you haven't seen much of Stanley this year? He is a MUCH improved player over his previous years and is currently rated ahead of Gawn and behind only Brodie in most stats.
    Isn't Gawn AFL's #1 ranked player ATM?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I haven't seen much of Stanley this season, so I looked up the stats and he's #10 in
    Hitouts, which stats did you me mean?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Just wild about Harry
    I haven't seen much of Stanley this season, so I looked up the stats and he's #10 in
    Hitouts, which stats did you me mean?
    Shoot, now I have to prove it... I saw a graphic on AFL 360 (I think) last week in which they were talking about this very subject. They had ranked the top three ruckmen since late last season in that order. I can't tell you the actual stats because I wasn't paying that much attention, but they were saying how surprised they were by his season so far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123